Tube system for bike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It needs to be small enough to carry on my bike rack which is over my back tire. I am just going with two speakers the amp and battery all in one case. I would like decent sound and be able to crank it up when I want. I need a battery to last probably close to 8 hours, longer would be better. I would think the box could be 12-16 inches long and maybe 6 inches square.

How about having two speaker boxes either side, lower center of gravity, -> more stability. you could then use those speakers for other purposes, and actually get to enjoy stereo.

39971743414_ec0f418ba4_b.jpg

with either a driver or two on one end or firing from both ends, so you end with either 2,4 or even 8 drivers in total, that could be a pretty potent system.

Are you sure about that? Why would that be? Link with more info please.

All I can say is diyaudio.com, sorry, can't be more specific. I've heard about it few times, probably in the class-d section and in the TPA3116 and TDA7492 threads.

I think that I've powered up my amps sometimes without any load when testing and building, and haven't burn any. The problems might only be with specific types and models.

But that's enough guessing for one day! Just wanted to point out this thing. :)

All I can say is diyaudio.com, sorry, can't be more specific. I've heard about it few times, probably in the class-d section and in the TPA3116 and TDA7492 threads.

I think that I've powered up my amps sometimes without any load when testing and building, and haven't burn any. The problems might only be with specific types and models.

But that's enough guessing for one day! Just wanted to point out this thing. :)
Hmmmm I have read it a few times as well but no why. This might be te case with some boards but I have tested all my boards at arival with just 1 speaker to test if they work and I have not blown 1 of the (about) 10 different tda7498e + tpa3116 boards. My guestimate is that someone made up this rumor while something else had f#$^%# up his board. Like removing / replacing with to little termal paste or silver conductive paste shorting everything, etc.

Is there a "how to kill your board quickly" or "what not to do" threat somewhere?

I someone knows why or has any other info about "blowing class D amps because of using not all channels"; please start a topic new topic to clearify this.

How about having two speaker boxes either side, lower center of gravity, -> more stability. you could then use those speakers for other purposes, and actually get to enjoy stereo.

with either a driver or two on one end or firing from both ends, so you end with either 2,4 or even 8 drivers in total, that could be a pretty potent system.
Looks like a nice design, if you put 2 speakers back to back on each side, 4 in total, you will double bass output again as bass is omnidirectional. And the bikers in front (or back) and the rider are served better sounding music.

Last edited:
It's quite difficult to tell you exact figures about the battery requirements, because there are so many variables. And I don't have any accurate measurements about my boomboxes, but I'm guessing the one with TPA3116 and 4S 6Ah LiPo with those 6,5" Visatons can go over 10 hours. In that I have the amp board with the knobs, haven't really used the treble but the bass adjustment comes in handy if you really wanna go loud.
10 hours would be more than enough I would think for most of the time. I will probably go with the amp that has the knob adjustments. That way I will have them if I need them.

Now this would be a sweet setup. I wonder how big of a battery it would take to power all the speakers?

I have an old dewalt charger that I don't use anymore. All I would have to do is get a battery.

Well if you have an Aldi in your area, it pays to have a look, because they will actually be cheaper than getting a Dewalt battery, chargers are only like $10-$15. The thing about Aldi is that they have specials to suck you into the store, they are one offs, but are really recurring items, the thing is that with all that item turn over they do have to clear the shelves and throw in good discounts, like the last battery I bought (4Ah) I didn't need but it was reduced from $40 to $24, so that's ~US$18, pretty compelling for a 80Wh battery.

Now this would be a sweet setup. I wonder how big of a battery it would take to power all the speakers?

Well that's the thing about doubling up on speakers, is that the system becomes more efficient, so you actually need less energy to run it for the same loudness level over a single driver, you can use more energy if you turn it up, but it will be much much louder.

Well if you have an Aldi in your area, it pays to have a look, because they will actually be cheaper than getting a Dewalt battery, chargers are only like $10-$15. The thing about Aldi is that they have specials to suck you into the store, they are one offs, but are really recurring items, the thing is that with all that item turn over they do have to clear the shelves and throw in good discounts, like the last battery I bought (4Ah) I didn't need but it was reduced from $40 to $24, so that's ~US$18, pretty compelling for a 80Wh battery.
Well the only Aldi I have here that I know of is a grocery store. Do they have a website?

Well that's the thing about doubling up on speakers, is that the system becomes more efficient, so you actually need less energy to run it for the same loudness level over a single driver, you can use more energy if you turn it up, but it will be much much louder.
Okay, I think I understand how it works. As long as I don't crank it way up, I won't use as much of my battery up and get better sound.

Well the only Aldi I have here that I know of is a grocery store. Do they have a website?

yes they do.
Keep in mind that their business model is "special buys" that will get you into the store so you buy the staples that they have constantly, that means you're unlikely to find a non grocery item walking randomly into a store, which is kinda useless, but the payoff is that it is very cheap and of decent quality.

I think I am going to go with these speakers. I was trying to figure out what size the enclosure needs to be for each speaker. This is there suggestion below which I don't understand. I am thinking about going with 4 speakers. Would be one box with two speakers point out one side and two pointing out the other side and box mounted to my bike rack over my back wheel. They are 2.39 inches deep so if each cabinet doesn't have to be two big, it should work fine. I will probably use this amp.

Optimum Cabinet Size (determined using BassBox 6 Pro High Fidelity suggestion)

• Sealed Volume0.1 ft.³
  • Sealed F396 Hz
  • Vented Volume0.15 ft.³
  • Vented F350 Hz

F3 is the corner frequency of the system (box and driver) simply means that response drops off rapidly below that frequency.
F3 of 96Hz in a sealed box is pretty amazing for a 3.5" woofer, in a 0.1ft³ volume, but the vented box is only 0.05ft³ bigger, so it maybe worthwhile doing that, but only if you plan to use the speakers inside. Outside anything below 100Hz is going to sound pretty weak, and you'll be simply wasting energy.

If you are running them in stereo then you need to separate the box into separate volumes. And total box volume is 4x 0.1 or 0.15ft³.

Not sure if I got this right or not. But for the sealed volume would my box size be 6 x 6 x 4 3/4 inches deep? Also what gives you better sound, vented or sealed?

Sounds about right, but those are inside dimensions, you have to allow for the thickness of your plywood, and it's good practice to avoid the same dimension or multiples of a dimension, so no 6x6 or 3x6.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.