Ghent Audio - 250ASP Build - Need Help! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2016, 05:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Ghent Audio - 250ASP Build - Need Help!

Hi,

I recently bought a couple of the IcePower 250ASP modules and the Ghent Audio Case kit with wiring.

I have been studying the official B&O docs as well as scouring the internet to come up with an assembly wiring plan. Ghent Audio does not supply any documentation.

I believe I have pretty good handle on physical assembly and I think I've got the AC hookup correct but I still have several questions. I would be grateful for anyone that can provide assistance.
  1. AC Selector Jumper P200
    Unlike other IcePower modules I have looked at, the 250ASP has a three pin jumper (P200) that allows the selection of 115v or 230v. Do I need to create a jumper that connects Pin 1 and Pin 2 to select 115v? Currently, the jumper is open and there is no jumper except for a three pin wiring clip that I assume is intended to be hooked up to a voltage switch which I don't need to do. If the jumper is left open will the amp simply not turn on?
  2. RCA XLR Input and Toggle switch wiring
    Ghent Audio supplied a SPDT switch but no wire or wiring diagram. The back panel includes a RCA and XLR input connector. Ghent Audio does supply a wiring loom for the Signal Connector (P2). Pin 9-7 are encapsulated in a grey sheath - Pos, Neg, Gnd. From my research there may be an ideal way to wire the XLR and RCA to the toggle switch and P2 input but I am baffled. I need precise details on how to handle this. Otherwise I may just wire the RCA and leave the toggle switch for a later day.
  3. 12v LED wiring to P1 DC bus
    Ghent Audio provides an LED front panel light and a connector with two unterminated wires. I am proposing connecting the positive wire to Pin 5 (Vcc +12v) of the DC-bus (P1) and Neg wire to either Pin 3 or 1 (PGND)?

Once I answer these questions, I believe I can proceed with the actual soldering and final hookups for this amp.

Thank you so much for any answers anyone can provide.

Please right click on the link below to view the picture in a new tab.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by ctbarker32; Yesterday at 01:54 AM. Reason: photo not loading
Old Yesterday, 01:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I can at least help with the AC selector jumper. Yes you must connect pins 1 and 2 for 115V operation.

If the LED panel light you were supplied was intended for 12v operation, then yes, you are correct on point 3.

I am sure if you email Ghent, he will provide either a diagram or at least written connection that they intended for the case.
Old Yesterday, 01:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by around360 View Post
I can at least help with the AC selector jumper. Yes you must connect pins 1 and 2 for 115V operation.

If the LED panel light you were supplied was intended for 12v operation, then yes, you are correct on point 3.

I am sure if you email Ghent, he will provide either a diagram or at least written connection that they intended for the case.
I appreciate your feedback. I already talked to Ghent when I ordered. They were pleasant but offered no information on wiring, assembly, etc. Puzzling but true. Given the relative straight forward nature of this and the fact they make a case kit it is strange that can't offer a barebones wiring guide and or at least some pictures of an assembled unit. I knew this going in but I think I can figure things out. I've built many kits over the years even though I am just a hobbiest.

Again thanks for your input.

-CB
Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default A Picture of my kit

Here's a picture of my kit.

-CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160123_195935.jpg (962.1 KB, 18 views)
Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #5
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Look at the data sheet, p. 3 onwards. http://www.icepower.dk/files/solutio...250aspdata.pdf

If you want both XLR and RCA, connect the XLR to pins 7-9. Connect the RCA to I+ and AGND and wire up the switch to short I- to AGND when the RCA input is used.

If you only want RCA in, connect the center of the RCA til I+ and I- and AGND to the ground.

Otherwise:
- You need the voltage jumper mounted in the correct position before the module turns on. Don't use any wiring (to a voltage switch) here unless you absolutely have to as it might act like an antenna.
- As for the LED, yes +12V and PGND is correct but you probably need to add a suitable resistor as well to bring the voltage down.

/U.
Old Today, 12:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm having trouble getting the hang of picture upload. Here is the correct picture I intended to upload for everyone's reference.

-CB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160209_211926.jpg (979.3 KB, 17 views)
Old Today, 02:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisbeth View Post
Look at the data sheet, p. 3 onwards. http://www.icepower.dk/files/solutio...250aspdata.pdf

If you want both XLR and RCA, connect the XLR to pins 7-9. Connect the RCA to I+ and AGND and wire up the switch to short I- to AGND when the RCA input is used.

If you only want RCA in, connect the center of the RCA til I+ and I- and AGND to the ground.

Otherwise:
- You need the voltage jumper mounted in the correct position before the module turns on. Don't use any wiring (to a voltage switch) here unless you absolutely have to as it might act like an antenna.
- As for the LED, yes +12V and PGND is correct but you probably need to add a suitable resistor as well to bring the voltage down.

/U.
Okay here is how I interpret you suggestion:

P9 P8 P7 (B&O)
+* -*AG
v* v* v*
P2 P3 P1 (XLR)
+* - (RCA)

Switch (6 pin, 3 Rows)
Middle Pin to XLR P3 (neg)
Bottom Pin to XLR P1 (agnd)
Switch in up position connects middle and bottom rows to select RCA

Thanks.