Abletec 53v Dual Rail 450W Supply for $20 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2015, 01:02 AM   #1
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Abletec 53v Dual Rail 450W Supply for $20

This thread is a spinoff from the IRS2092 200W amp thread as there seems to be just as much interest in this cost effective SMPS that enables low cost IRS2902 high power amps to work.

Click the image to open in full size.

Underside:

The Abletec ALP0400 power supply is an open frame SMPS that has pretty advanced features and capability unmatched (that I am aware of) by any other PS in the $20 price point.

Specs here:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs...ifications.pdf

In short, it can power a pair of 200 watt IRS2092 mono blocks and be able to provide up to 900 watts peak load (<10ms).

It is available from eBay and Parts Express as a "buyout" item:

Abletec 900 Watt Peak Class D Audio Amplifier Power Supply 53V DC UL Cul | eBay

https://www.parts-express.com/ablete...83&PID=7598510

Initially, some people thought these supplies were defective since they could not produce the rated power levels. Charlie Laub pointed out to us that the secondary voltage outs need a small but finite load. Something like a 1 watt 150ohm resistor placed at the secondary voltage outputs will allow the rest of the amp to be stable.

Minimum required current draw to be stable:
Quote:
MIN REQ. CURRENT DRAW: V1 (+53v ): 100mA V2 (-53v ): 100mA V3 (+7.5v): 50mA V4 (+5.6v): 30mA
It has been confirmed by several members that this fix solves the stability issues and this supply works like a champ.

It truly is an enabling technology for folks interested in low cost higher power IRS2092 type dual rail amps, or any other dual rail amp requiring smooth +/-53volts.

Header connector jacks are available here:
6-PIN CONNECTOR W/HEADER, 0.156" | All Electronics Corp.

Please share your experiences with this amp.

Here is my test case (temporary setup for testing only - don't flame me for violating safety practices here):

What you see here is a 200w x 2 class D IRS2092 power amp for $60 in parts (less now since the 2092's are less than $20).

Last edited by xrk971; 29th October 2015 at 01:05 AM.
Old 29th October 2015, 01:41 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I loaded one of the aux outputs with an LED and a resistor, but not the other, and it seemed rather weak. Will have to try loading the 2nd aux output.
Old 29th October 2015, 02:16 AM   #3
pcgab is offline pcgab  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for spinning off a dedicated thread for this. I got my abletec's in recently, this is motivation to get them hooked up to the 2092's I have as well. I'm hoping they'll be a much better solution than the noisy as hell cheap crown xls402 I got off craigslist.

I'm planning on using them to drive the bass horns in my 4 way horn system.
Old 29th October 2015, 06:40 PM   #4
troystg is offline troystg  United States
diyAudio Member

So in my reading it appears that this cable is a remote on/off.

https://goo.gl/photos/4E7B4J4q9Tudh55k6
Old 29th October 2015, 07:10 PM   #5
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

No, that cable has no electrical connection to the board. I believe it's a temperature sensor.
Old 29th October 2015, 07:34 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo View Post
No, that cable has no electrical connection to the board. I believe it's a temperature sensor.
Do you know which leads are for the remote shutdown? I would like to see if there is a graceful off / on instead of hard power kill.
Old 30th October 2015, 02:10 AM   #7
bwaslo is offline bwaslo  United States
diyAudio Member

Data sheet is at http://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/...ifications.pdf

Don't know how graceful, I'm not using the remote power line
Old 31st October 2015, 06:41 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystg View Post
Do you know which leads are for the remote shutdown? I would like to see if there is a graceful off / on instead of hard power kill.
The power supply has a "standby" mode, which is what I believe you are referring to. In this mode the high voltage supplies are shut down, but the low voltage supplies continue to function normally. This is convenient, since you can have something powered by the low voltage supplies that is waiting for some signal to trigger the HV supplies, and therefore the amplifiers, to turn on. I combine this PS with some IRAUDAMP7 modules that have undervoltage protection. As soon as the rails collapse, the amp modules go into mute mode. This can prevent some odd noises as the HV rails are collapsing and caps discharging.

The PS is put into standby mode by shorting the two pin on header CON401 (the datasheet labels P1 on this connector as "remote" for remote shutdown). You can do this with anything, a mechanical switch for instance (good for testing purposes). You can connect a NO relay across these contacts and then close the contacts via some external circuitry when you want the amps to come on. I am planning to integrate this feature into my speakers that use a Raspberry Pi for the crossover (DSP in software, see my sig) by using the on-board audio-out jack, a 1-op-amp circuit, and a transistor. The external circuit and transistor can be powered by the PS's 7.5V rail, and that can also be used to energise the coil of a 12V relay, so it makes for a very convenient system from one supply. The signal that is sent to the external circuit can be generated by my housekeeping LADSPA plugin. It monitors the audio stream and when it find it above some threshold (e.g. -70dB) it turns on the amps by taking the PS out of standby mode. If anyone wants to test this out on their system, drop me a line and I will send you the housekeeping plugin code. You can also driver the transistor from one of the Pi's GPIO pins, but then you will need to write some code to do this yourself.
Old 1st November 2015, 12:07 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you very much for the information on the remote function.
I will be putting it to use.

Curiosity got the best of me and I cut the tape on the transformer to trace the two wires with the red connector. Turns out it is a temp sensor and not needed on these supplies unless you have external circuitry to monitor the temps. So I removed it.
Old 3rd November 2015, 12:23 PM   #10
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't been back to this thread since I started it - thanks for the discussions so far. I have some 150ohm 5watt resistors I need to install and test out. The standby mode looks very convenient for a small low voltage power switch rather than a real mains 120v sparker switch.

Hide this!Advertise here!