2x100W TPA3116D2 (2 chips, each in PBTL)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Of course, everything is cheaper on ebay if you are willing to wait ;)

I've been spoiled with Amazon Prime 2 days shipping and overnight from digikey :D

Not to mention easy/free returns if there's something wrong with Amazon, excellent customer service

Waiting for my bass AuraSound Pro bass shakers from parts-express, got my 24V 200W Delta PSU from digikey already.

Will these "Sanyo" 35V caps handle 24V or should I adjust the DC output down to the minimum? (21V ish?)

I found this on aliexpress:

DC 12V 24V 100W*2 TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel digital Power audio amplifier board
DC 12V 24V 100W*2 TPA3116 D2 Dual Channel digital Power audio amplifier board-in Amplifier from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
(from AliExpress Android)

Supposedly the same amp in a different package? They look like they removed the volume pot and 3.5mm audio input so I guess the 3 pin white socket can be hooked up to a 3.5mm plug for example to a phone?

Would it be enough to hook this up to a 12v or 24v battery and good to go for portable system or would I need a 12v psu pcb card before the amp cirquit.

Would wanna build a portable speaker with stereo integrity 6.5" speaker and tweeter on other channel and thinking of using this as amp!

Thanks for any input

Last edited:
Q - Are ceramic caps a good or bad thing? Cheers

Question is a bit too broad to answer - ceramic caps come in various types. Class I ceramics are close to being ideal caps, Class II not so much as they're piezoelectric and change capacitance with applied voltage. If used for simple coupling duty the first of these caveats is a potential issue, the second not really relevant.

New Ebay board received,
TPA3116 D2 120W+120W Dual-channel Stereo Digital Audio Power Amplifier 12V-24V | eBay

Load of crap, when it is connected up there is a fairly loud buzz coming from both speakers. Went back to my old 3116 & dead quiet.

Seams to be coming from the two adjustable pots as when turned the buzz gets louder at the pots extremes.

Ask selling for refund.:mad:

Yes, many people have had that experience when the inputs are open or go to a high impedance feed.

If you short the inputs then your noise will be at maximum when the pot is at mid position. :)

What value of pot is being used?

New Ebay board received,
TPA3116 D2 120W+120W Dual-channel Stereo Digital Audio Power Amplifier 12V-24V | eBay

Load of crap, when it is connected up there is a fairly loud buzz coming from both speakers. Went back to my old 3116 & dead quiet.

Seams to be coming from the two adjustable pots as when turned the buzz gets louder at the pots extremes.

Its a 10k pot. Im having the same issue. so noisy i cannot use them. I have two each from different sellers, ones blue the other red. It sounds like wind being blown into a mic. the mono board i have of the same design seems to be working fine.

neat thing is im waiting on two more of the revised boards with the single pot. ugh. they better work right.

DC 12V-24V TPA3116D2 120W x2 Dual-channel Stereo Digital Audio Power Amplifier | eBay

No AUX input, but it does have a place for input signals (right next to the heat sink, on the corner closer to the DC input connector)

I wonder if the 6 pin holes next to the Bluetooth micro-board is a USB interface?

Just spotted this board on Ebay, seems to be the same type of set up, but without the adjustable pots. Also bluetooth if you need it (I do not), it also seams not to have the preamp chip, which is good.:confused::D

TPA3116 D2 120W+120W Dual Channel Bluetooth digital Power Audio Amplifier Board | eBay

New Ebay board received,

After using the amp for several hours yesterday the noise is pretty much gone! maybe just needed some break in? Anyway im going to do the same on the other "red" version of this board and see if it fixes it.

One thing though this board has a pretty bad power off pop. Power on is fine. Any ideas?

Of course, everything is cheaper on ebay if you are willing to wait ;)

I've been spoiled with Amazon Prime 2 days shipping and overnight from digikey :D

Not to mention easy/free returns if there's something wrong with Amazon, excellent customer service

Waiting for my bass AuraSound Pro bass shakers from parts-express, got my 24V 200W Delta PSU from digikey already.

Will these "Sanyo" 35V caps handle 24V or should I adjust the DC output down to the minimum? (21V ish?)

Noticed this morning that 2 of them are bulged and waiting to blow, shouldn't have left it connected when not in use :)

Just replace with general purpose 1000uF 35V? Should I go with 50V rated caps? Increase capacitances?
Anything I should look for? (ESR, impedance?)

Any other caps worth replacing?

I've narrowed down to Rubycon ZLH and Panasonic FR, 1.488A/17 mOhm and 1.95A/18 mOhm respectively
10k hours rating, bit of overkill but I know I'll never need to replace them ever.

Are they suitable for that application? The panny is 22cents more expensive but with a higher ripple current rating.

Thanks!

United or Nippon Chemicon, KZE/KZH/KZM/KZN, I prefer with tpachips. FR for me unacceptably added sibilance and lack of cymbal detail. (Probably related frequency problem)

ZLH has treble detail like the Chemicons, just a tiny little brighter than the Chemicons. I have a couple of tpaboards powered for ~3 years now, continuously, 24hours a day. External PSU's have been switched, needed some refreshing, the ZLH's on those tpaboards measure a little better than originally. So you don't have to remember to switch off LOL

Finally got my money back for the item.

Vendor wanted me to take it to a local tech (min $70-00) to confirm hum, so got EBay to intervene.
So I thought I can play and will not matter if I blow it up.
But as I am a luddite at electronics, so how would I short out the little adjustable pots. Cheers:confused:

Try turn them up to maximum volume (use the board as a power amp). You will need another means to control the volume though when you try this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.