digital controlled PWM amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The real price (on Taobao) is something around $100. If you look carefully at that Aliexpress page, the shipping fee they're asking is $153.... Here's one on Taobao - DAV110 ¹âÏËUSBͬÖá Ä£Äâ ´¿Êý×Ö¹¦·Å ¹¦·Å»ú ¶ÀÁ¢¶ú·Å ´øÒ£¿Ø-ÌÔ±¦Íø

Are you sure?

ScreenShot2015-02-02at083924.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure that page showed me $153 yes, but perhaps it displays different prices according to different IP addresses (physical locations)? I can't figure out why it shows me the shipping fee to USA when I'm located in China though.

(can't see the image you included, won't load)

I found very interesting chinese PCM2PWM amplifier: d.sound d310.
Specyfication:
Distortion: thd + n = 0.008% @ 10W / 1kHz / 8 Ω / 44.1K coaxial input
SNR: 95dB
Efficiency: "90%
DNR: 103db
Power supply rejection ratio: 80db
3 digital input: USB, coaxial RCA, optical fiber
1 analog input: RCA
Digital format: 44.1k / 48k / 88.2k / 96k / up to 24bit192k
Input power: AC 90-240V 50 / 60Hz
Output Power: 80W & 8Ω 120W & 4Ω / thd <3%
Distortion: thd + n = 0.008% @ 10W / 1kHz / 8 Ω
SNR: 95dB
I compare this amplifier with ucd400hrx based amp and qls qa 100. First is typicał analog2pwm amp, but second amp is pcm2pwm. I find d.sound is better than qls in all aspect of sound. Larger base bass, better treble and improved holographic great location.
There is only one problem. This amp is only on chinese market. My friend was in China last week and bought this amp for me.

Very cool! How would this compare to something like:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POPU-D6-2x1...ig-Power-Amplifier-192KHZ-24Bit-/111435563401

I was thinking about buying an amplifier Popu D6, but I found somewhere on the network that there are problems with the quality of of the amplifier, and that the real parameters are much worse than declared.
Is this true? I do not know. But I did not want to risk.
But amplifier Popu D6 looks good.

I was thinking about buying an amplifier Popu D6, but I found somewhere on the network that there are problems with the quality of of the amplifier, and that the real parameters are much worse than declared.
Is this true? I do not know. But I did not want to risk.
But amplifier Popu D6 looks good.

Interesting...

How would you say the DSound D310 compared to the ucd400hrx based amp. I see you liked it more than the QLS QA100, but didn't make the comparison to the hypex amp.

I'm looking for the best performing chinese digital amp in the 60-200w range...right now, I'm looking at the DSound d310 seriously as the top contender with the Popu D6 and Wadia 151...any others I should consider as well? I cannot afford the ncore stuff :-(

The comparison is very difficult, because the sound ucd400hrx based amp depends on the preamp and the DAC. In a very good configuration sound of ucd400hrx is slightly better. The sound is more sterile. But the use of inferior DAC shows superiority D310. And here lies the advantage of pure digital amplifier. In addition, the ratio of sound quality for the price is very satisfactory for the D310.

I've got both the Q5 and Audiobah TPA3116. Both are very good, but I'd definitely go for the Q5 for use with a laptop if there wasn't a decent USB DAC available (TPA3116 with laptop analog output won't compete with Q5).

I got the Q5 recently. It's the updated version . It goes a bit weird when my computer goes to sleep ( one channel off, soft crackling noise). Not an issue really.

It's a good deal actually. No need for a Dac, the USB works plug 'n play. You could even get an Aptx bluetooth receiver and go in via Coax/Toslink. I'm running it through an old 12 inch Canton subwoofer with a passive crossover (120hz) high passed to 3 inch full range BR. This amplifier has great grip on that 12inch woofer. It's dead silent, spooky with stop/start electronic music and has excellent composure (seperation of instruments). It is hard to describe its signature, it seems to vary a lot from recording to recording. I would say it's got slightly soft highs (on all my speakers), giving it the perception of warmth. The driving bass adds to this as well.

It took me a while to get used to this amp.

Just an update, I sold this unit. The sound quality varied too much depending on volume and recording. It only came together when turned up a bit, but only up to a certain point. Perhaps it is sensitive to speaker matching/load. Some recordings just did not sound right to me. I could not put my finger on it, but it tended to emphasize things in an unnatural way where it distracted me from hearing the music as a whole. At this price I am nitpicking of course.

I tried a linear 13.8v lab psu on this and it made for an improvement. The mids gained some body and tonality. Piano rendition got better.

Back to Amp+DAC.

During High-End Munich 2015 fair I've heard a couple of active systems based on amps that have direct PCM-PWM conversion. Digitally fed they sounded really transparent. I have achieved quite good results with digitally fed Hypex AC2.100D units, so without head-to-head comparison I wouldn't tell which is superior.

I have a question. According to specs TI's TAS57XX series amps seem have built-in biquad filters. The total number of biquads are specific to particular amp. It would be nice to use them for simple IIR EQ and X-over filters, yet I haven't found a simple way to program these amps. Oficially supported way is via eval board + controller and TI TAS57xx Graphical Development Environment (GDE). Is there any way how to change register values differently? For example, if I have bought already assembled amp based on TAS57XX chip and want to reprogram it's settings.

In case anyone is interested, I have two Apogee EB-2060S amplfier boards, along with a nice SMPS that I'm not using. Can sell for $85 + shipping. Here is an information sheet from Apogee - these are fully functional digital amplifiers evaluation boards, configured for stereo 2 x 35W RMS @ 8 ohms.

Here's a very detailed PDF of the boards:
http://www.apogeebio.com/ddx/PDFs/EB-2060.pdf

I'm in Los Angeles, California. I got these to compare with the TI chip based Panasonic SAXR series receivers but haven't got around to setting up the Apogee amplifiers, so should let it go to someone who will.

Best,
Tal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.