digital controlled PWM amplifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's not where the DAC is places I'm after. I know about that part.

Just wanted to make sure.

In a Panasonic I would expect they know what they are doing!

Sure - all I am saying is that it is tricky, not that it is impossible.

Overall I don't think differences in well made amplifiers really matter (regardless of classes).

The differences matter in things like stability, clipping and current drive ability - things that aren't audible under normal conditions, but can make a difference with tricky loads etc.

The differences matter in things like stability, clipping and current drive ability - things that aren't audible under normal conditions, but can make a difference with tricky loads etc.

Correct - the panasonic can go from brilliant to awfull in a very short time. The SA-XR50 don't like low imp speakers - but an easy load sound very good. The SA-XR55 in dual amp mode is better, but nothing exceptional.

I always try to keep things safe, and not push amplifiers or speakers to the limit. I have eight 10" woofers in OB, and rarely plays louder than you can still speak.

It's new to me if they vary with load other that the top end. I know they are sensitive to a wide spread in load - meaning that the load definitely can't spread from 4-16 ohm. If a class d amp are designed for 4-8 ohm, then you should not go above or below.

I don't mind a fixed variation, but if it "modulates" through out the entire frequency, it's really bad.

You compare fidelity with SET, but I am not familiar with tubes at all. I have heard very few Cayin tube amps, and they were quite opposite in fidelity compared to equibit amplifiers.

The article states:

(In high-end audio applications, open-loop amplifiers sound great, but that is a different story. They typically have very stable, high-performing supplies and much higher cost targets.)

DIYers will usually spend money on a good power supply.

Andy

The article states:

(In high-end audio applications, open-loop amplifiers sound great, but that is a different story. They typically have very stable, high-performing supplies and much higher cost targets.)

DIYers will usually spend money on a good power supply.

Andy

Yes, but my skills are limited to traditional linear PSU's - not regulated high power PSU's. I simply can't design a PSU to suit an open loop digital input amplifier module. I will stick to analogue class d or modify the PSU on Panasonic SA-XR series.

Yes there are a few, but typically very low power

hifimediy.com has one based on DDX technology
Sinewave also have a highpower one based on TI - closed loop.
Sumoh also had two based on TI - HFX have also one designed by Sumoh.
MiniDSP also have their MiniAMP based on TI5704. I have it, and it's fine if you respect the limitations in power output

Last edited:
Has anyone heard the SMSL Q5 yet? I've ordered one as I'm intrigued to hear an "all-digital" amp, and plan on putting it in my kitchen or bedroom with a Rasp Pi running Volumio (if it isn't good enough to stay in my main system). I'm quite intrigued by the prospect of comparing this to my ES9023 DAC + TVC preamp + various power amps.

I'll no doubt end up swapping out caps, xtals etc. after using it for a bit :)

Has anyone heard the SMSL Q5 yet? I've ordered one as I'm intrigued to hear an "all-digital" amp, and plan on putting it in my kitchen or bedroom with a Rasp Pi running Volumio (if it isn't good enough to stay in my main system). I'm quite intrigued by the prospect of comparing this to my ES9023 DAC + TVC preamp + various power amps.

I'll no doubt end up swapping out caps, xtals etc. after using it for a bit :)

Please, review as soon as you receive it...is a very interesting amp.

I made some TI full digital amp.
https://sites.google.com/site/koonaudioprojects/tas5706-full-digital
TAS5706 and TAS5715(D.SOUND WPDA-D200) in same product group. I miss this series does not have Power Supply voltage control. instead of power supply voltage control, TAS57xx uses digital volume control = SN ratio loss on small volume.

https://sites.google.com/site/koonaudioprojects/tas5518-full-digital
I made TAS5518 board this is superb, but you don't have to DIY.
You can buy QLS QA100 and connect I2S through AMANERO or DIYINHK or any XMOS DIY board.
QA100--Full Digital Stereo Amplifier
it should have TAS5508c or Intersil DSP.

SMSL Q5 has STA350BW, same product range as TAS5715.
Any of these full digital amplifier sounds like "WIRE" or "AIR", nothing exist between source and speakers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.