Sure Electronics IRS2092 250wpc Amp Build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th September 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
redjr is offline redjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sure Electronics IRS2092 250wpc Amp Build

This is my first fore into building a Class D amp. I selected ready-made modules for the PSU and amp. I also selected this enclosure to house everything. It will be powered by a +-65VDC linear power supply. The enclosure is turning out to be a little snug, but using a linear PSU means a big fat torodial has to fit somewhere. I've powered it up and did not get any of the 'magic' smoke. I measured the DC-offset and got -.7mv on the left and -1.9mv on the right. Here are a few pictures of my progress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080331.jpg (594.4 KB, 1727 views)
File Type: jpg P1080333.jpg (774.4 KB, 1579 views)
File Type: jpg P1080335.jpg (679.0 KB, 1501 views)
File Type: jpg P1080297.jpg (473.8 KB, 1371 views)
File Type: jpg P1080300.jpg (717.0 KB, 1224 views)
Old 24th September 2012, 11:34 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Neat work. I'm just finishing up my implementation of the same board, but I'm using four channels and two PSUs. One thing I did note is that the overtemp sensor isn't really connected to the heatsink, so I drilled a snug fitting hole further up the heatsink and extended it to fit. It does run slightly warmer than I was expecting, but I suspect that's down to the TIP31s.

edit: Here's a few pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0909.JPG (155.9 KB, 666 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.JPG (116.6 KB, 623 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0907.JPG (102.4 KB, 433 views)
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 24th September 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What's that sensor under the little brass bracket further up on the HS? Is that another one you moved? With 4-channels yours is a beast for sure.
I was able to power it up last night with speakers connected. Sounds fine to me so far with non-critical listening and source. I did notice a very slight amount of inductance hum. Hopefully, once I put it all together, finish up the wiring with proper grounding it will 'go away'.
Old 24th September 2012, 08:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

That's a sensor for the fan speed controller. This amp may occasionally get pushed, and the heatsink is no way big enough for that without help.

I've also added the missing bridging op-amp and bits, and cut some traces so one side is permanently inverting to avoid bus-pumping. I also cut holes for and mounted XLRs, but haven't fitted the balanced input circuits yet.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 25th September 2012, 12:43 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I see. That makes sense if you plan on pushing the amp a little harder. I'll be using my board pretty much stock. Sounds like you can customize a bit more than I'm comfortable with - but I'm learning.
Old 25th September 2012, 02:19 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I had it playing a CD tonight on my bench and within about 30 minutes the HS was very hot to the touch. I was surprised since I was playing at a very low to medium volume level. Is it due to the fact that this HS is underrated for a typical operating environment? Odd. I know this is rated at 250wpc, so maybe I should be playing it louder!
Old 25th September 2012, 04:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
I had it playing a CD tonight on my bench and within about 30 minutes the HS was very hot to the touch. I was surprised since I was playing at a very low to medium volume level. Is it due to the fact that this HS is underrated for a typical operating environment? Odd. I know this is rated at 250wpc, so maybe I should be playing it louder!
Here's my first guess:
Amp is rated for 8 ohms only. Were your speakers an 8 ohm nominal load?

Next culprit:
You might also want to measure the DC rails to see what you are actually pushing the amps with... the higher the rail voltage, the more dissipation might be taking place.

Finally:
You could have a high frequency (supersonic) oscillation causing the amps to heat up. You would need a scope to find that.

-Charlie

Last edited by CharlieLaub; 25th September 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 25th September 2012, 06:48 AM   #8
diyAudio Moderator

Mine is working hotter than expected as well, driving 8 ohm speakers at 64.3V. Won't get chance to put it on the scope 'till the weekend.
Old 25th September 2012, 01:06 PM   #9
paskal9 is offline paskal9  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
is it the output mosfet that's producing the heat or the regulator transistor?
Old 25th September 2012, 01:23 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieLaub View Post
Here's my first guess:
Amp is rated for 8 ohms only. Were your speakers an 8 ohm nominal load?

Next culprit:
You might also want to measure the DC rails to see what you are actually pushing the amps with... the higher the rail voltage, the more dissipation might be taking place.

Finally:
You could have a high frequency (supersonic) oscillation causing the amps to heat up. You would need a scope to find that.

-Charlie
Yes, 8 ohm load and 64v rails. Don't have a suitable scope though. I'm curious if this temp is standard operating spec. Mine will be in a vented enclosure, so maybe I have nothing to worry about, and then maybe something else is going on that needs attention.

Last edited by redjr; 25th September 2012 at 01:50 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!