PWM to Analog conversion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
PWM to analog

I am curious to follow up on this.

There are some nice and inexpensive home theater system out there, many with back channels connected wirelessly, like the Sony HBD-N7100 series.

These are convenient but they have no preamp outputs, only speaker connections. For instance if one wanted to use more powerful amplifiers for the front channels or a powered subwoofer, the only option is to connect those the speaker outputs. Well, that is kind of uncool.

Looking at the service manual, these are all digital devices, where eventually the signal is converted to PWM to drive the output amps, presumably some sort of Class D.

I was able to pull out the PWM leads just before the power amps but I am kind of stuck there. Whatever I read, the suggestion is to use a simple RC filter to convert that to analog. I suspect that may be unsatisfactory. On eBay there are some PWM=>Analog converters but specifications say they top out at 3kHz.

I am wondering if there is something better? Many thanks.

Or... second order low pass set to 40KHz.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-05-06 10-39-44.png
    Screenshot from 2020-05-06 10-39-44.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 157
PWM to analog with op amp

If I use an op amp IC, does that simply act as a buffer for the following stage following a RC or LC filter, or does the filtering happen in the op amp’s feedback loop?

(Separate from this tread, I always wanted to know if passive vs feedback loop filtering are alternative ways of building anything from RIAA to tape playback preamps...need a tutorial on the subject.)

PWM output

Yes. These HTIB systems do not have preamp outputs. And yes to the low-pass. I had two questions —

1. Does a first order filter suffice? The TI write-up has a fourth order
2. Do I need a buffer op amp before I can feed an outside power amp?

I suspect a higher order low pass filter will have a higher output impedance. In the TI example, they increase resistor values by 10X at each stage not to load the prior stage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.