Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is interesting.

Yes indeed. Also if it should be possible to experiment with combinations of the linear and smps. Who knows.

Regarding the smps for the front end or out put stage, your listening test may suggest that the addition of HR regs on the front end of UCDs made the diff between linear and smps inaudible. That may be very true in your listening tests, but it also indicates the importance of the front end and how it is supplied. With the ncore/modulator tech being different from UCD and likely much more transparent concerning the upstream stuff, the importance of the front end AND its supplies is further emphasized.

That said, it may very well be what a linear supply adds when ( maybe sub optimally) supplying an output stage that makes a subjective difference for the better /to so some...

Personally I still believe in something heavy (at least) for the line level signals that preserves attributes such as weight and power. No not adds those but preservers them. Thats a very different thing.

This was not with Hypex. but by dutch law it is forbidden let people pay in forward without the opertunity to pay at delivery.

Sorry this is in dutch:

"De rechter verwijst droogjes naar de wet, artikel 7:26 BW, dat met zoveel woorden bepaalt dat vooruitbetaling van het gehele bedrag niet mag worden geëist. Althans, niet in algemene voorwaarden. Wie expliciet met de winkel afspreekt dat vooruitbetaling ok is, zit daaraan vast. Maar wie alleen in de kleine lettertjes terugvindt dat hij alles vooruit moet betalen, kan met de toverformule “Bij deze vernietig ik uw artikel 6 wegens strijd met dwingend recht” daar van afkomen."

Klok en klepel gevalletje?

This was not with Hypex. but by dutch law it is forbidden let people pay in forward without the opertunity to pay at delivery.

Sure. Unfortunately, if you insist on that, the easiest solution for hypex is to stop selling to consumers/hobbyists.

I suggest we enjoy and appreciate the fact that hypex has agreed to serve a special (but marginal) market as a favour to us hobbyists, and try to help them as much as we can in doing that...

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Hypex do not say who their OEM customers are, so there is no list available of Hypex OEM customers.

My 10% guess is based on the OEM vs DIY sales of other companies that can be compared, i.e. speaker driver manufacturers.

Edit: its even less that 10%, well thats not really a surprise.

Hypex... and SMPS600

Well, I know Genesis uses Hypex modules, and am pretty sure Meridian does as well, others...

Julf, do you have the capability of measuring the SMPS600 for noise/ripple and output impedance under a realistic load?

Who is going to listen test the SMPS-Bybee music rails-nCore400 combo?

Listen testing the switching supply vs linear can be tricky, as the switching supply may make the amp sound great, but trash (RF) emmitted from the SMPS may get picked up elsewhere in the system (airborne, or through AC contamination). A fully balanced set up can help with this, and well shielded enclosure (thick metal chassis)... Anyone doing these comparisons, please report system details.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I would think there are lots of companies using Hypex products and technology, and OEM is of course where the money is made!

An other company worth mentioning here is ICEpower, although they can't be directly compared to Hypex. ICEpower totally ignore the DIY market as well as small manufacturers, and that's how they have been able to sell over 100 million channels of ICEpower amps.

What they really should have done is to make it with an integrated SMPS, like the ICEpower ASP modules. Amp and SMSP on a single board. That would have made it even more plug-and-play, and guys like Erlend would have one thing less to worry about. ;)

There is already not so much DIY in assembling the amp; an integrated module would take away at least a major element to do some DIY and experimenting with power supplies.

Julf, do you have the capability of measuring the SMPS600 for noise/ripple and output impedance under a realistic load?

Yes - but not right now. I don't have a resistor with enough power handling to use as an artificial load, and my main speakers are in the process of being rewired. I don't think I want to subject the BBC 3/5A's to "realistic" nc400 loads.

Listen testing the switching supply vs linear can be tricky, as the switching supply may make the amp sound great, but trash (RF) emmitted from the SMPS may get picked up elsewhere in the system (airborne, or through AC contamination). A fully balanced set up can help with this, and well shielded enclosure (thick metal chassis)...

Bruno has stated that the smps600 has a very low RF footprint, and having measured the RF emissions around one, I have to agree. Even with a wire loop antenna, you have to go pretty close for a sensitive oscilloscope to pick up anything. If the smps600 is in a metal enclosure I wouldn't worry about RF being an issue. Oh, and all I saw on the power line was the usual hash from dimmers and computer power supplies (in an adjacent room).

Julf...

"Bruno has stated that the smps600 has a very low RF footprint, and having measured the RF emissions around one, I have to agree. Even with a wire loop antenna, you have to go pretty close for a sensitive oscilloscope to pick up anything. If the smps600 is in a metal enclosure I wouldn't worry about RF being an issue. Oh, and all I saw on the power line was the usual hash from dimmers and computer power supplies (in an adjacent room)."

Thanks for sharing, that is good to know. So you did not look at the AC line with dimmers shut off, and other noisy stuff unplugged? My previous experience suggests that dimmers are just about the worst offenders in this regard, and that their noise would swamp just about anything else on the circuit (or even in parallel back at the box).
I removed all the dimmers from my home...

What they really should have done is to make it with an integrated SMPS, like the ICEpower ASP modules. Amp and SMSP on a single board. That would have made it even more plug-and-play, and guys like Erlend would have one thing less to worry about. ;)

Well, Bruno stopped using input opamps and input capacitors to stop the endless................................................................................................................................discussions. He had better intergrated the supply as well!:D

We would not be confronted with pics like this:

Attachments

• Billede%20Olymus%20018.jpg
    Billede%20Olymus%20018.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 644
Status
Not open for further replies.