Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL...

If people didn't fear SMD so much they'd realise that it is actually easier than through-hole. I think I did all I could to make R141 easily accessible. I mean, seriously, we're 2012 and people are still caught in fits of panic as soon as they find that a part doesn't have wires sticking through the circuit board.

Thanks for that BP, my morning laugh. I am no soldering expert, but still find that I am not afraid to de-solder smd resistors. I like the fact that everything here is smd, keeping the paths and loops small and controlled. And I would not want to have switchable gains and the extra parts and paths that such would entail. A simple chart for values and corresponding gains for R141 would be nice if it is not already available.
This is DIY, right? I use reading glasses for smd stuff, and do not try and do a lot at once (to save on eye strain).
For those who are scared, pick up some scrap smd electronics, and practice, a couple of hours and you will become confident that replacing a single smd resistor is not a big deal, even with a single iron.

Hi,
Bruno, I also have to put my face in public.
My goal is not to devalue your product.
I have no interest in pushing the amp DXA. (I think it is obvious, since the sale to the public is blocked).
it is obvious that we have very different design philosophies, in particular, in solving the problems of class D. I have not focused on the super feedback (because the audiophile high-level, does not want this, as does not want a unregulate SMPS). I have no doubt that you know how it sounds with an amp the voltage that moves, especially at low power. therefore, need not explain.
You have many fans in this forum, the same ones who constantly said to me, read the papers of Bruno. I looked and?
Unfortunately, there is the marketing and so I can not speak freely to Ing. Bruno.
Do not worry, your fans will buy your NCore the same. :)
I'm left with a curiosity: why when I published the thread "DXA-400," said the first, we see the behavior, then, that is not my project?
Attack is a good sign for me.
I open a new thread? I first need to invent "Tom5S".
For Fans, you're Jesus. to me you're a good engineer with a narrow viewing angle. (I will not be offensive)

Regards
Roberto P.

And Roberto a good mathematician! The only reason the older crowd didn't get that patent before Bruno was their maths skills...

Bloody obvious isn't it!

We are all sorry your DXA-400 design infringes on Bruno's/Philips patents but this doesn't mean you should be rude to Bruno in a public arena.

I'm seriously considering NC400 for my fronts but I like to spread my purchasing around. Is it possible for DPS-500S to work with NC400 and have the NC400 microcontroler control the DPS-500S. I like that SMPS because it would be much easier to integrate a 12v trigger with the optional control connections.

Also it's a MUCH more reasonable price compared to the SMPS600 when you consider it's a more technically advanced SMPS at roughly the same price.

I feel the SMPS600 at € 180 is... expensive for what it is. As are the modules really... Bruno if you just lowered the price across the line by about 20% you'd sell a lot more modules IMHO and higher production numbers. I dunno how that would fly with your OEMs though.

As it stands DIY NCore is gunno cost us $700 bucks a channel. That's hardly cheap and cheerful. I mean I can get an ATI AT3005 for $2500 mark. That's $500 a channel in chassis for a true differential. We are looking at $3000 grand for five channels in chassis for your solution Bruno. That's really placing it outside of a lot of DIYers are willing to spend.

I can understand that channel cost for a license of your technology but your design house doesn't encounter those costs on the same level plus you'd get a lot of it back from Philips via royalty payments one would think.

Bruno... why don't you have a more reasonable price for your SMPS and modules?

You know it's not the norm for DIY parts vendors to have markup in the hundreds of percent ehh...

I'm sorry if I've come off rude and I don't want to tell you how to run your business it's just the margins your getting for what equates to electronics parts is really high and borderline absurd at I'm guessing 500-800% (sorry for the tone it's just that $225/can landed SMPS really bugs me)

This is what boutique sales guys work with not DIY parts vendors...

Thanks for coming on this forum Bruno and sharing your engineering expertise and helping out the DIY community and being open to ideas etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for that BP, my morning laugh. I am no soldering expert, but still find that I am not afraid to de-solder smd resistors. I like the fact that everything here is smd, keeping the paths and loops small and controlled. And I would not want to have switchable gains and the extra parts and paths that such would entail. A simple chart for values and corresponding gains for R141 would be nice if it is not already available.
This is DIY, right? I use reading glasses for smd stuff, and do not try and do a lot at once (to save on eye strain).
For those who are scared, pick up some scrap smd electronics, and practice, a couple of hours and you will become confident that replacing a single smd resistor is not a big deal, even with a single iron.

Bruno and Barrow: there is another raison why a switch could be useful (even for real DIYers, not a dummy one as me and probably others who never worked on circuits): once the amp is build and running, whenever you change your preamp/dac, you would need to solder to adapt the gain of the NC400, probably asking to completely deassemble your amp to do it. With a jumper/switch, you just have to open the box, job done. Of course one could build a jumper in a DIY fashion too ;-)

Here is my progress so far. Im using the aux power (unreg 21VDC) from the SMPS600 to power the LED on power button. Seems to be working fine so far.

Attachments

• Photo 17 18 34 04.01.12.jpg
    Photo 17 18 34 04.01.12.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 797
I spent last night playing around with cutouts of the amp module and power supply. My current thought is that the first chassis that I will offer will be for a mono amp. I am planning a run of 10 units to start and the lead time from here is ~6 weeks. The basic shape and idea is a small rectangular box of approximately 200cm X 132cm X 132cm. It will be constructed from natural aluminum and have ventilation holes on the top of the chassis.

The round amp module will be mounted to the back panel allowing the shortest possible connection for signal and amplifier wires. I need to decide if the connectors should go above, below, right, or left of the module. The fact that it is circular helps in this regard! The power IEC will be mounted on the right side of the rear panel.

I will have a round power switch on the front of the chassis. I need to decide where to locate that?

Some other questions that I have are:
1. How close can the modules be to each other?
2. How close can the amp module be to the power IEC?
3. Is ventilation on top enough?
4. What am I missing.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=1740
Price list of parts
Power Connector $12.58
Push Button Switch $12.03
Neutrik Balanced $6.50
Vampire Post $18.50

Last edited:
Hi all,
I believe that I have the right to reply when someone puts me in the arena.
I thank HiroPro for some of his words, but it is better to specify that the DXA amp, does not infringe any existing copyright.
This amplifier, triggers and maintains the oscillation with pre-filter feedback. (If you remove this, the amplifier is turned off).
FB2 takes a partial post-filter signal, but not a direct NFB. (also,have DF of only 200 @4R). this is used for a completely new process in the modulator (as IIR filter emulation). Modulator designed and developed by MDI team in 2005. under the name "MXD".
Present in Frankfurt 2008.
all audio measurements, confirm the total difference from any other class D amplifier. (not less than the absolute value, but for the behavior accurately FLAT).
About Bruno. I do not think I was rude to him in public. I do not agree with his choices, I understand that they are conditioned by the market. perhaps this is a difference with me.
Regarding the DPS-500 ... it is fortunate that there is, just I do not know another way that can guarantee a real dynamic sound.

Regards
Roberto

Last edited:
Once you get the hang of SMD, reworking is a lot faster than leaded.

I agree with this - we have all the tools where I work and it's not an issue, it's just that I have only rudimentary tools at home. My next pcb will also be SMD so it still gets my vote.

By the way, I love the excitement being generated by this new ncore.

Sorry Bruno and sorry Alberto for bring that stuff up again.

Your engineering points Alberto are best made to patent lawyers...

If this is not the case why isn't the product been brought to market?

I really want to combine MDI/MXD and Hypex/Philips' brilliant work TOGETHER.

I'm sure if you rubbed your two heads TOGETHER we'd make quantum leaps in class D technology.

As it stands though is it possible to get the Hypex MCU to talk to the DPS-500/s guys?

Last edited:
Sorry Bruno and sorry Alberto for bring that stuff up again.

Your engineering points Alberto are best made to patent lawyers...

If this is not the case why isn't the product been brought to market?

I really want to combine MDI/MXD and Hypex/Philips' brilliant work TOGETHER.

I'm sure if you rubbed your two heads TOGETHER we'd make quantum leaps in class D technology.

As it stands though is it possible to get the Hypex MCU to talk to the DPS-500/s guys?

Hi,
I have no doubt that it would be an excellent patent, but it is not easy to explain some decisions that a company can do.
The reasons that the dxa, is not on the shop (hard-fought decision for an entire year, with other partners) is that AudioPower is launching 4 new high-end finished products, with the MXD exclusively.
Thus, the modules can not be sold.
But DIY can get some other things certainly can take advantage of targeted research.
I am completely neutral, I'd be happy to read a few reviews on NCore/DPS-500. one thing is certain .. this SMPS has been designed to obtain new performances, and is oriented to those who can appreciate them.
I think NCore400 has a pin that can be connected directly to pins on the DPS-500 (opto iso, input)..if have understand well.. :)

Hi,
I have no doubt that it would be an excellent patent, but it is not easy to explain some decisions that a company can do.
The reasons that the dxa, is not on the shop (hard-fought decision for an entire year, with other partners) is that AudioPower is launching 4 new high-end finished products, with the MXD exclusively.
Thus, the modules can not be sold.
But DIY can get some other things certainly can take advantage of targeted research.
I am completely neutral, I'd be happy to read a few reviews on NCore/DPS-500. one thing is certain .. this SMPS has been designed to obtain new performances, and is oriented to those who can appreciate them.
I think NCore400 has a pin that can be connected directly to pins on the DPS-500 (opto iso, input)..if have understand well.. :)

I sure hope your product isn't going to be boutique priced as in $1000+ a channel.

Or you guys go down the Spectron path and sell $500 power cords and $1500 dollar speakon hookups!

John Ulrick is a pioneer of class D and I don't understand why his company would sell snake oil like that.

PS even if Spectron has good tech/product I wouldn't buy simply because they sell snake oil as well

Last edited:
Hi Guys.

Been lurking for some time. Now, there is a time to start participating, and this is it. Congrats Bruno, Jan-Peter & the Hypex team on the NCore. Cannot wait to get my hands on a couple of modules.

Anyway, been working on a monoblock chassis design for NC400/SMPS600, first prototype metal parts scheduled to arrive this coming Friday. Something completely different. Still some manufacturing to be done, but should have something to show in a couple of weeks.

PS. Owner of 2x (UCD400HG+HxR’s, TR400’s, Supply HG’s + Softstarts + spare UCD400HG+HxR’s) which will thus go up for sale shortly.

Hi,
I read datascheet,is possible a connection from "Vol-Fatal PIN" to fast break dps-500 (iso-input). no other connections of controls.
Also, only DPS-500/S can be compatible with NCore400 (voltage aux output +/-19V and +19V driver VN-ref).
just for info.

Regards

Hi Roberto,
When someone wants to try your SMPS he will be able to find you.
I think your products are high quality and personally I'd be curious to compare an Audiopower class d set-up with a Hypex one, SMPS's included.
Hypex is clear: they prefer to promote their own products which is quite understandable.
I think it's best for you to go your own way because quality-wise you don't have to fear; a pity that the better quality modules are not available.

Hi,
I read datascheet,is possible a connection from "Vol-Fatal PIN" to fast break dps-500 (iso-input). no other connections of controls.
Also, only DPS-500/S can be compatible with NCore400 (voltage aux output +/-19V and +19V driver VN-ref).
just for info.

Regards

owhh yeah the op amps don't have onboard power right...

Vsig is 16-25v on the spec sheet. Alberto is your 19V secondaries regulated? I think the schematic shows an LC-filtered LM317 on those rails. It rates to 15V on the spec sheet. Anyway to get that LM317 regulated rail to 21V as the SMPS600 provides for the driver?

Boy owhh boy it's a nice SMPS isn't it! Seems like a natural for the NC400 considering the pricepoint is the same as the SMPS600.

Last edited:
I'm curious Bruno and friends if you feel your discrete input section would do better with 21V LC-filtered and regulated vs. your current SMPS600 21V unfiltered and unregulated. Would this not affect op amp if 21V has any noise? I guess the load being 40 mA regulation doesn't matter... doh!

I'm just a layman here guys...

Last edited:
I'm curious Bruno and friends if you feel your discrete input section would do better with 21V LC-filtered and regulated vs. your current SMPS600 21V unfiltered and unregulated. Would this not affect op amp if 21V has any noise?

C'mon HiroPro,
You are asking Hypex if a competing SMPS suits the Ncore better than their own SMPS.:(
This is IMO where real DIY and "ask the master's opinion" part.
Check specifications and make your own choice when you are a real DIY'er.
When you are just able to assemble the modules together, no problem but then stick with a proven concept. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.