Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
PS.: The new wiring harness + the small PCB going with it for the interface of a SMPS1200A400 + 2x NC400 is looking nice, but I haven't found it yet in the Hypex shop.
Good thing that hypex finally provide this kind of adapter.
Could you please post pictures of it?
Any chance it provides the needed drive supply to reduce dissipation on the nc400?

I don't mind having the stereo unit in a case the same size as the mono amps, when it fits. Very neat to be able to combine both as i do. You can even put one on top of the other. The SMPS1200A400 does make it possible.

But the housing should provide more ventilation, which is possible looking at the layout of this 2-channel amp and the solutions provided by the mono case. They at least could have added the same ventilation slots on the back plate as done for the mono case. Would - in my opinion - still fit and be of reasonable stability. And the bottom plate could get some more slots or holes too. There is room for it.

I do mind the XLR connectors chosen, because the standard version seems to fit too. The routimg of the PS cables is tight, i know, especially if you have to splice them together, but getting into the third dimension would work. But i arrived at a solution, which even allows for the new cable harness provided by Hypex.

When finished i will provide some picture how i got it done.

Good thing that hypex finally provide this kind of adapter.
Could you please post pictures of it?
Any chance it provides the needed drive supply to reduce dissipation on the nc400?

Yes, please do post, having this available to buy would save allot of time for others. I made my own harness into a mono case, and it fits but it took 2 days to make the harness and I was careful to use the faceplate as a heat sink (lapped+paste) for the psu, it needs it IMO:

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showth...p-Build-thread&p=611847&viewfull=1#post611847

Thing I don't like about the ghent build is the placement of the feet underneath, sticking out the side of the case. For a better option, see my pictures at the link above

Video on Hypex casing - you can see if there are differences (inclusive components as well).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMm4GsUDyLI

Why do so many people mount the XLR connectors incorrectly from the outside rather than the inside? If you have an amateurish cutout you have no choice but to use the connector flange to cover up your handiwork but here the cutout is clean and (presumably) accurate.

Why do so many people mount the XLR connectors incorrectly from the outside rather than the inside? If you have an amateurish cutout you have no choice but to use the connector flange to cover up your handiwork but here the cutout is clean and (presumably) accurate.

Looking at YouTube video of the Hypex mono kit i recognised these apparent differences to the Ghentaudio version (there may be even more):
a) the LED assembly can't be dimmed
b) the IEC inlet is divided into a separate mono pole switch and the socket itself
c) the speaker posts have screws (no soldering)
d) the XLR connector is mounted from the outside (!)
e) no venting slots in the back plate and underneath the PS
f) the speaker wiring is not in accordance with the instructions provided by Hypex

This might have changed in the meantime though and may not be valid any longer...

Since I noticed activity in this thread I've been meaning to post my $0.02.
I'm running two nc400 with their matching psu in monoblock configuration. My dac is a Buffalo II with passive (transformers) output stage. I designed and built my own speakers with passive filters.
That was a short note on how I've set things up. No bells and whistles at all, just straight forward music reproducers. I can play to nosebleed levels without neither speakers or amps even breaking a sweat. It's all smooth without the slightest hint of harshness. The bass is deep and tight, and you can even feel the kick at low levels which is kind of amazing. I could double the output easily by connecting the dac output stage in a different way, so I'm getting my results only using half of the available power.
My greatest problem is that everything sounds so good that I've lost all incentive to build anything new. Quite honestly, going to hifi shows is now kind of disappointing. I haven't heard a system (cost no object) that would make me swap mine out. And yes, I've heard very expensive and extravagant systems play.
Maybe I just got lucky with my combo but the take home message here is that I believe few people giving these amps a fair chance will be dissatisfied with their performance.

No, I left it as it is.
After looking around for anything which fits inside the cutout and employs a mains filter i decided to use the original unfiltered one.
Next task to attack is fitting the input cables to the XLR connectors, drilling additional ventilation holes into the bottomplate and finally attaching the speaker posts. To have any "naturala" air circulation going to happen, air must be able to enter the stereo case at the bottom and leaving it at the top. Right now practically all existing slots and relevant holes in the bottom plate are blocked already by those parts mounted. Progression is slow though. The stereo casing takes its toll, because routing the wiring around all those tightly fit "obstacles" is not that easy. One has to think of potential hazards if the chassis gets "hot" and any wire insulation of the PSU connection cables might been damaged in the long run if it touches such a metal surface...

I changed my point of view regarding the speaker wiring somehow too, because i thought of what is going to happen, if a NC400 module has to be removed. Solid core won't do the job then, because it will have to be cut to get them removed after the inital installation incl. twisting.
Back to the "drawing board"...

Last edited:
Got a hint by PM from another forum member.

Beforhand customer service told me, because i emailed them about help for exact this configuaration, that a "new" wiring kit should appear on their web site probably "this afternoon", but it didn't show up. So i contacted them again, including sales this time (hint), when (and where) it would go online. A few hours later i got an email from sales that a "special" envelope from Hypex was on its way. They didn't gave any hint about the contents though.

They probably don't want to cannibalize their sale of the PS600 power modules, so nothing on their web site up to now (checked yesterday).
Looks like a well made OEM thing to me, manufactured week 39 in 2015.

I have a set-up, witch is a bit like that, and I like it a lot, have heard a lot off DAC's, and I am convinced that there is a good match between the two.
The Soekris and the nCore are very good set together.
Prompt please and where you can read good reviews, tests and comparisons with other DAC?What on QUALITY of sound you would compare the DAC?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.