Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
10,000 posts I'm honoured! And apologies for blowing your drivers apart that's 400W's for you! Looks good. As to the other Nord even the logo is similar no intention there!
I came on to ask if there is any interest in a UcD700 amplifier? My interest peaked by the alternative PSU!
Still waiting for Colmo for his impressions of the Nord buffer board and the differences preferences between the Burson and Sparkos he got his boards Friday. To be honest this feedback is valuable to me and future customers plus it's the most enjoyable bit for me!
January has been staggering not to mention an immense amount of work but we are completely up to date and may be able to build some stock units! Thank you all.
Hi everyone you will have to give me a little bit of time I want to give them both some burn in and listening time before posting.

The standard definition is the ratio of the loudspeaker resistance (purely resistive part of loudspeaker impedance) to the (resistive) output impedance of the amp (and cables), but I would have assumed everybody here is familiar with the definition or at least the concept.

I was not familiar with that definition. I thought I had understood the concept though, a measurement of the amps capability to dampen the reverse currents from the speaker.

For illustration, when you send a single pulse of current to a speaker, it will cause the speaker to move some mechanical part that is designed to push air. When the mechanical part returns to its rest state, that movement will generate a current (at least for voice coils in magnetic fields, but perhaps not so much for electrostatic designs). The damping factor is the capability of the amp to drain the currents that are returned from the speaker.

The better (higher) damping factor an amp has, the better control it has on the precise movements of the mechanical parts of the speaker, eg you get a 'tight bass without woofer wobbles'.

The standard definition is the ratio of the loudspeaker resistance (purely resistive part of loudspeaker impedance) to the (resistive) output impedance of the amp (and cables), but I would have assumed everybody here is familiar with the definition or at least the concept.

Can you explain how that is a mechanism for 'damping' - because I am complete loss to see how.

Byline:

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Sounds like a real candidate.

damping or current dumping !? :)

John Westlake apparently has designed some special/revolutionary Current Dumping circuit in his VFET Amplifier design

Damping or dumping? Sounds like two different topics.

I wonder what Paul Klipsch would have made of the 'concept' of damping factor.

This simply equivalent circuit demolishes the idea - if read properly:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Looks like a 4 Ohm speaker/driver.

Can you explain how that is a mechanism for 'damping' - because I am complete loss to see how.
Tom4s explained it pretty well. I assumed there was a reason you asked - not to learn, but to push yet another alternative theory. This time I have neither the time or interest to try to defend 100 years of engineering knowledge. If you want to ignore it, and push some alternative view, feel free!

Tom4s explained it pretty well. I assumed there was a reason you asked - not to learn, but to push yet another alternative theory. This time I have neither the time or interest to try to defend 100 years of engineering knowledge.

Wow!

You quote Paul Klipsch?

Where is this "engineering knowledge" - and can you quote to me where this is 100 years old?

Don't be lazy, let alone dismissive.

If you want to ignore it, and push some alternative view, feel free!

What is it that I am ignoring? And in what way am I pushing an alternative view?

There is no single engineering fact behind 'damping factor' and I dare you to quote one. Just one?

Paul would have been very disappointed in you. You are defending snake oil.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This represents:

Where is the mechanism for 'damping'?

Last edited:
There is no single engineering fact behind 'damping factor' and I dare you to quote one. Just one?

You asked:

What exactly is 'damping factor?'

I gave you the formal definition. Do you disagree with that definition?

As I stated, it is clear that your question was a leading question. If you disagree with the definition, I suggest you start by explaining what part you disagree with, and why.

By the way, the fact that you keep editing your postings doesn't really help either.

Thanks! :) I should add that all components, in particular inductors but also things like banana plugs, also create reflected currents that go back to the amp.

I'm actually only posting cuz it's only right that I mark the 10k post here!!

OK. :)

I don't really want to pick on you, but Julf quoting Paul W. Klipsch in his byline is a bit much if he can't answer where the engineering explanation for 'damping' and by what mechanism such a thing is achieved. This is the danger of seeking the high moral ground when in fact you say something that is more like standing in quicksand.

First of all, inductance basically results in a voltage source, not current source. So no current to be reflected as such. That fact that the speaker potentially produces EMF (voltage) means that you end up with two voltage sources in series. Things become incredibly complex, but there below 100 Hertz the EMF produces in predominantly motional EMF and above 100 Hertz we see an increase in inductive EMF, but this is then not a 'controlled bass' thing.

But rather getting into that aspect, consider this: The output impedance of an amplifier is an Ohm value. That is fine, being a voltage source it should be low, no problem there. Being low Z only means the amplifier can regulate the 'voltage' (as opposed to current). What is the Ohm value in series with? The load. Say you have 1 Ohm output Z and 8 Ohm load. Damping factor of 8? How? The amplifier sees its own 1 Ohm and the 8 Ohm in series and cannot define any ratio. It sees 9 Ohm and nothing else. No ratio, then no damping factor.

Plain physics.

"How did a hardware industry of the 50's transition into a fashion industry where there are no absolutes, no norms, no frames of reference .... all opinion. Is it any wonder the industry is stagnant? Expensive blue-sky R&D is unnecessary because a new marketing spin will keep the production lines flowing with yesterday's technology. It really is a strange business and for sure, the consumer is not benefiting."

Alan A. Shaw on the notion of 'damping factor' in loudspeaker design as bunkum.
Designer, owner
Harbeth Audio UK

Status
Not open for further replies.