Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
The third pin, is it not meant to be connected to the braid/shield? Or is it connected inside that Molex type connector on the Input Buffer side to the braid?

As SGK already wrote, it is chassis ground/earth - is is not part of the signal flow. The system would probably work just fine if only pins 2 and 3 were connected, but you should of course have a ground connection too.

Just curious... one reads about Quasi-Balanced and Fully Balanced, supposedly being the best?
That is a slightly different topic, and is about the whole amplifier topology, not just inputs. It is relevant when talking about traditional class A and A/B amps (as you get a nulling of some harmonic distortion components) but less so for class D.

If only everyone knew that you may have the best sounding Ncore amp on the market........

Haha... Well, every seller MAY have the best sounding Ncore amp on the market - logically then Nord is included in that.

The more important point is whether he does or not, based on people comparing them all.

With the ability to tune via opamp rolling, you will satisfy more individuals with their own taste in sound and so any survey could see a higher satisfaction, even if their opamp choice was to make it sound worse by other's standards..

Tomas this is your's!

Its new home is ready & waiting! It will be powering my Infinity Quantum 3 (that I bought new in 1979), that I hopefully won't have to renovate too soon again. This is the third power amp I buy for these speakers. The other two have both died.

IMG_0421_zpsestdeccv.jpg

IMG_0418_zpszvg13zw9.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful buffer board Colin! If only everyone knew that you may have the best sounding Ncore amp on the market........

Tidier than the one I posted here a few months back for sure:

ce00ba6dc090875b5f7e8f14d432e9f0.jpg

Hey there Boggit,

Which buffer is the one pictured here? Will these work in the USA? Considering ordering an amp from you, looking forward to your responses.

I've been thinking about building some n400 for a couple years, and now I've been reading up here on the nc500, so this is a consideration as it saves time and energy in figuring out the build.

I once worked in the retail side of hi-fi part time for a year, and had the opportunity to AB tons of gear. Funny it all sounded different to us, some of the favorite reviewed brands sounded like hell.

This amp would replace my Classe CA-200, which doubles our electric bill. Selling this will cover some of the cost of the new power amp. Using a CP-50 preamp, Muse Cd player, Aerial 6 speakers, Cardas cabling, Acoustic signature turntable.

Funny all the philosophy on here. There is a big difference in the personal experiencing of stages of enlightenment, and the reading about them. My late teacher was fond of saying "the difference between knowing, and knowing-of." Seems similar to the difference between reading about gear and looking at "scientific" measurements, and listening to and enjoying music. Is it possible to EVER have objective truth from a subjective perspective?

Hey there Boggit,

Which buffer is the one pictured here? Will these work in the USA? Considering ordering an amp from you, looking forward to your responses.

I've been thinking about building some n400 for a couple years, and now I've been reading up here on the nc500, so this is a consideration as it saves time and energy in figuring out the build.

I once worked in the retail side of hi-fi part time for a year, and had the opportunity to AB tons of gear. Funny it all sounded different to us, some of the favorite reviewed brands sounded like hell.

This amp would replace my Classe CA-200, which doubles our electric bill. Selling this will cover some of the cost of the new power amp. Using a CP-50 preamp, Muse Cd player, Aerial 6 speakers, Cardas cabling, Acoustic signature turntable.

Funny all the philosophy on here. There is a big difference in the personal experiencing of stages of enlightenment, and the reading about them. My late teacher was fond of saying "the difference between knowing, and knowing-of." Seems similar to the difference between reading about gear and looking at "scientific" measurements, and listening to and enjoying music. Is it possible to EVER have objective truth from a subjective perspective?

That's a Hypex board I modified. I shared all details on it earlier in the thread.

Funny all the philosophy on here. There is a big difference in the personal experiencing of stages of enlightenment, and the reading about them.

True - if you are talking about an emotional and mostly instinctive activity (such as enjoying music - as opposed to analyzing it as a professional musician or studio engineer would). Intellectual activities based on knowledge are a different matter.

My late teacher was fond of saying "the difference between knowing, and knowing-of."
How about the difference between knowing and believing you know?

Seems similar to the difference between reading about gear and looking at "scientific" measurements, and listening to and enjoying music.
As always, listening and enjoying music is very different from designing (and analyzing) electronic equipment. It is like comparing driving a car and designing a car - and that analogy is increasingly appropriate, as with a modern car, you think you feel how the car suspension and steering behaves, but mainly you are feeling whatever reaction the computers controlling the car have been programmed to create.

Is it possible to EVER have objective truth from a subjective perspective?
It is probably very hard to arrive at objective truth from a subjective perspective.

How about the difference between knowing and believing you know?

As always, listening and enjoying music is very different from designing (and analyzing) electronic equipment. It is like comparing driving a car and designing a car - and that analogy is increasingly appropriate, as with a modern car, you think you feel how the car suspension and steering behaves, but mainly you are feeling whatever reaction the computers controlling the car have been programmed to create.

Believing and knowing-for-sure has a few layers. I think in the case of audio, as a designer/professional you are looking to find certainty, at least statistically around the cause and effect around the components and circuits and the sound quality real (measured) and perceived (varying degrees of worms.) Perception (hopefully) lines up with what can be measured, but often cases it is influenced by things other than what one hears.

If we assume one can have "good ears" and can discern the difference between the "miracle" bose speakers and a good reference pair of speakers, B&W 801 for example...this is a big sticky assumption. Put 10 professionals in a room, and 10 who are oblivious to audio...the 10 professionals will all most likely agree that the 801s sound better subjectively and in some cases will be able to point to the what and why behind the designs that "proves this" to be true. Same would go for a bottle of Margaux and a $20 bottle of wine. One is better than the other, in most contexts for most people, yet philosophically the whole argument can be unraveled.

I am in the unfortunate position of looking to change out the amp in my system for a better sounding one, based on my above presuppositions. I have heard some of the bel canto line at a local dealer, but not the 600s w/ the ncore 500, and not in my system, but in very high-performing systems, and to me they sounded like contenders. Since those are icepower, and ncore seems to be thought of as "even more betterer"...here I am asking quesitons. I didn't see a lot of new info on the nc500. Ideal world: you all say that most likely the nc500 amp is going to be a worthwhile risk to make the jump, based on your listening experiences. Real world: you point out the flaws in my argument/question and also give your perspective. I guess I'll know when I plug them into my system.

The problem with a lot of DIY circle, is that often their systems don't inspire confidence in their opinion of "great sound", and are often "great value giant killers". That's fine, if you've also heard the giants and have compared them apples to apples, as much as that is ever possible, given ABX flaws in human brain, etc. etc. etc.

Once in a blue moon, somebody will say that they heard amp in their reference system (Ayre, Aerial, Joseph, Classe, Revel, Rowland, Bryston, Avalon, B&W) - things I can make an approximation of from my own experience.

I usually don't type this much, so the word count must approximate $2000 worth of amp decision.

PS: Thanks to all of you for all of the effort you put into your various areas of profession, study and hobby. It creates a sea of information and ultimately makes the audio hobby "better".

Just reread this application note about grounding:
http://www.hypex.nl/docs/appnotes/earth_appnote.pdf

As I understand it the nc400 + SMPS600 kit is meant to be used (or at least be usable) as a class II device.
For this reason the SMPS600 maintain a 6mm air gap underneath, but on the other hand the included main power cable is not double insulated.

So as is, and if no additional protection is used around the main cable (tubing?), the kit cannot be considered class II compliant, and it is probably a good idea to connect main earth to the chassis.

Its new home is ready & waiting! It will be powering my Infinity Quantum 3 (that I bought new in 1979), that I hopefully won't have to renovate too soon again. This is the third power amp I buy for these speakers. The other two have both died.

IMG_0421_zpsestdeccv.jpg

IMG_0418_zpszvg13zw9.jpg

I can imagine the deathly silence as you wait.... just a hum from the refrigerator and the odd car driving past.

Status
Not open for further replies.