Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same as I was thinking.
Was toying around with the idea of a 5 channel amp with smps3k as the power source, but from what I understand that is not a good idea.
So instead of just having one smps3k I would probably have to look at:
- 1 SMPS1200 driving 2 amps and 1 driving 3 amps
or
- 1 SMPS1200 driving 2 amps, 1 driving 2 other amps and 1 driving just 1 amp
Both solution makes the cannels differencial in how they are built up.
May just go for 6 channels, 3 SMPS1200 driving 2 amps each.
However, it's not very often you need a 6 channel in a home theater. You either have 5 or 7 (or 9 or 11).
Right now I would think that having 4 amps for surround (driven by 2 smps1200) and one for the center channel (driven by 1 smps1200) might be the best course of action.
Fronts will be driven by monoblocks (1 smps1200 and one amp module each).

But all of these solutions are requiring more space and is more expensive than just using one SMPS3K...
Anyone knowing about other power supplies that is well suited to drive ncore amps?

Last edited:
hypex ncore

My guess is that the left scale of graphs just referenced/positioned arbitrarily. So, there is no noise pickup or something of this sort on the first one, it is just shifted in vertical scale.

I'm pretty sure the NC1200 uses the exact same buffer, but located onboard. On the NC1200 datasheet, it's says the buffered S/N ratio is 128db.

He says those measurements are usually taken with the inputs shorted. His measurements were just taken at the outputs with the buffers powered up.

He said the noise is simply Johnson noise from the onboard resistors. It's not the opamp creating the noise.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having high quality PA amplification. Imagine going to a Pink Floyd concert 100% Ncore amplified!

I can imagine I would not hear a difference (or if I did, I probably wouldn't care). Even at top end venues, the limitations of the space and the speakers (not to mention the audience noise) totally masks any differences in amplification beyond a basic level.

I can imagine I would not hear a difference (or if I did, I probably wouldn't care). Even at top end venues, the limitations of the space and the speakers (not to mention the audience noise) totally masks any differences in amplification beyond a basic level.

+1 -- big room acoustics, speaker setup etc trumps amplification quality most of the time (@Julf - maybe except for 'de heineken bierbak')

Last edited:
NC400 is to Hypex as...the Monster is to Ducati, and the Cayenne is to Porsche. IOW, NC400 does well for Hypex.

I am personally acquainted with and did business w/person "A," an audio fanatic/international business owner/ex-owner of Dynaudio distribution in a prospering Asia nation/ex-owner of $115k/pr Evidence Master. "A" lives in Asia and the USA, and several times met and did business with person "B" in Europe, one of Bruno's closest long term friends/ex-co-worker/degree audio engineer/business associate/high end audio designer and full time professional/tube audio fanatic (I know and met "B.").

When the subject came up about one year after NC400 release, "A" chuckled and said "B" told him NC400 "does very well" for Bruno (exact words or close paraphrase). The only better source is Bruno and/or his accountant.

The one that destroyed their street cred? :)

There may or may not be any association between profit/business success and "street cred."

Since releasing the Monster and Cayenne both have been the biggest profit makers for the respective manufacturers.

As the ex-owner of a '00 BMW R1150GS, I also suspect BMW's "GS" (gelande strauss...turf and street) series has been their #1 profit maker for some time.

Since releasing the Monster and Cayenne both have been the biggest profit makers for the respective manufacturers.

Absolutely - but the Cayenne has definitely hurt the reputation of Porsche as a manufacturer of serious sports cars.

As the ex-owner of a '00 BMW R1150GS, I also suspect BMW's "GS" (gelande strauss...turf and street) series has been their #1 profit maker for some time.
For the motorcycle part of the company, yes, but the bikes are a very small part of BMW. And the R1150GS (and the subsequent R1200GS) was of course a great bike (despite being somewhat top-heavy), but not a very big diversion from their traditional bikes - still air-cooled boxer twins with shaft drive.

P.S. Minor nit-picking: I believe the GS stands for gelände/straße - terrain/street, just as you write.

Absolutely - but the Cayenne has definitely hurt the reputation of Porsche as a manufacturer of serious sports cars.

For the motorcycle part of the company, yes, but the bikes are a very small part of BMW. And the R1150GS (and the subsequent R1200GS) was of course a great bike (despite being somewhat top-heavy), but not a very big diversion from their traditional bikes - still air-cooled boxer twins with shaft drive.

P.S. Minor nit-picking: I believe the GS stands for gelände/straße - terrain/street, just as you write.

Ditto above, w/minor detail: The first GS (R80) and latter R100GS are usually referred to as "air heads," (no oil cooler), then came the R1100GS "oil head" w/oil cooler, then my R1150GS oil head, then the R1200GS oil head, and finally circa 2012 the liquid cooled R1200GS.

Being 6-3 and 250 lbs, I can't say I noticed the top-heaviness, though I'm sure more normal sized riders would.

Thanks for the original German characters!

Still miss that old lug, but I did tire of the 590 lbs full tank curb weight (per independent sources, not BMW's ridiculous under-spec). BMW quoted the 1200 being 65 lbs lighter, real number about 40.

We are getting seriously off-topic here... :)

finally circa 2012 the liquid cooled R1200GS.

Ah, I guess I had stopped following the developments by then (concentrating on older Brit street bikes).

Still miss that old lug, but I did tire of the 590 lbs full tank curb weight (per independent sources, not BMW's ridiculous under-spec). BMW quoted the 1200 being 65 lbs lighter, real number about 40.

Right. I am 186 cm (6-1 ft) and 85 kg / 190 lbs, and my 1997 Triumph Thunderbird triple that is 240 kg (530 lbs) or so wet occasionally feels top-heavy, while the 1981 Hesketh V1000 is 265 kg (585 lbs), so almost as heavy as the BMW, but with a low centre of gravity, so actually easier to deal with.

Enough about bikes... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.