Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read the New Guy thing before... But I'm not sure he is 100% correct

OPA627 and 2134 are very similar but 627 seems to be spot on with the claims it's smoother and has a more pleasing full sounding bass ...compared with the friend who has F1 McLaren speakers (on DIP8 socket) a few times over to be sure

OK, but the point is that saying "all opamps are evil" is about as pointless as saying "all left-handed people are more creative and smarter than right-handed people".

Haha :) ...the NewAVguy convinced me to put back all my default 2134 OpAmps in my Tag McLaren Processor ...however, I do wish now I had left the buffer OpAmp (right after the DAC chip) on dip-8 socket so I could at least try the BURSON, to hear if it's all bunk or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against the "OpAmp if implemented correctly is audibly transparent" theory, just that I noticed Ricardo's Tag Processor is more musical with the OPA627 vs 2134 ...I would have changed mine to 627 but since I'm getting the John Westlake's FDAC (aka AUDIOLAB MDAC2 project) imminently, it's staying put...

Still curious about BURSONs offering, love to know if it's snake oil, or not!

Here's a noise floor comparison of the stock LM4562 buffer compared to my discrete pure class A buffer.

668ce23a73c2e505319177d1b3e00ba1.jpg
fa0f26d2a899ca88a8380a394625569d.jpg

hypex ncore

Looks good bavmike, but I find it difficult to believe there would be a clear audible difference from the buffer used in NC400 or NC1200.

Make sure to level match and preferably also blindtest. Might give you a different result.

As far as I know the stock buffer in the NC1200 is the same LM4562 based buffer in the NC500 buffer board.

I'm thinking there may be a problem with the measurements in the LM4562 plot I posted. I'm waiting for another email to confirm. Just seems way too noisy to me. It may have been under conditions that put the buffer under strain. However both plots were measured under the exact same conditions.

Last edited:
Personally...

My experience has led me to believe that one can do better with a really well implemented discrete circuit vs. a really well implemented IC (OPA) circuit. As we are in the Hypex/Ncore thread here, it is interesting to note that Mr. Putzeys himself chooses to use discrete circuits for his top level products, and believes his discrete circuits outperform the IC/OPA options. The top level circuits in question being the Mola Mola amps, preamp, and forthcoming DAC.
I think most here will agree that Mr. Putzeys does not hold on to traditional audiophile myths either.
Considering how many resistors and capacitors are in the typical IC/OPA circuit, it is pretty easy to speculate that perhaps passive components implemented in silicon are not the sonic equal (and probably not the measured equal) of the same value passive components implemented using the best materials possible. Like a thin metal film (or even foil) resistor.

I would suspect that most here have some experience of hearing the difference between different types of resistors... Certainly the difference between poor resistors and a good metal film can be measured as well (thermal noise, for example).

Oh yes, Dale-Vishay Resistors are warm and bold sounding! I've not heard Vishay ZFOIL Resistors yet but they are (apparently) the very best - unparalleled Imaging is achieved with these in high feedback areas; but also significantly more expensive than the rest!

But for loud rock, I prefer Murata resistors - or even better, NOS Welwyn carbon film ones, as used in the original Marshall amps. :)

Well at least we agree Resistors can change the tone! :)

I had SMD resistors all over my Tag Processor (TMA started skimping on quality as they weren't making enough profit before they went down)...lucky the through holes were from the original Resistor specs were still present...night and day difference; SMD seem to mute a lot of the dynamics and make the AV32R sound about as good as a SONOS PLAY's Analogue output :-(

Well at least we agree Resistors can change the tone! :)

It is good to recognize irony... :)

I had SMD resistors all over my Tag Processor (TMA started skimping on quality as they weren't making enough profit before they went down)...lucky the through holes were from the original Resistor specs were still present...night and day difference; SMD seem to mute a lot of the dynamics and make the AV32R sound about as good as a SONOS PLAY's Analogue output :-(

In general, the use of SMD resistors has improved sound quality overall, as you get much less interference and parasite capacitance (the leads of resistors are definitely not ideal from a signal point of view).

So many assumptions and beliefs on the input stage discussion that Spock would turn in his grave :).

Instead of trying to make you seem intelligent for a month in a discussion without any data but just opinions, why don't you just go to Hifi shop and lend say...Bel Canto Black and Bel Canto ref600m and get that cheap Op-amped nc500 and compare them to nc400 in ways you think are necessary. Maybe even listen to one if that does not ruin the testing?

I did my comparisons and came to my conclusions, but i know i can't convince you. You have to do it yourself.

Last edited:
It is good to recognize irony... :)

In general, the use of SMD resistors has improved sound quality overall, as you get much less interference and parasite capacitance (the leads of resistors are definitely not ideal from a signal point of view).

The smile of irony :)

Funny that TAG McLaren left the tube shape Dale Vishay Resistors in their flagship £12000 AV192R then, the reason, only reason, we discovered in later days why the AV192R sounded better than all the rest of their models ...10p vs 50p parts on the same Analogue board section

I expect John Westlake will tell you his experiences with Resistors; Bruno's equivalent as an Audio Designer (I think they may have worked together at some stage many years ago on Class D)

I expect John Westlake will tell you his experiences with Resistors; Bruno's equivalent as an Audio Designer (I think they may have worked together at some stage many years ago on Class D)

And I am sure Bruno had reasons to use smd resistors too. But why take the word of any of them (or us)? I suggest you take a nc400 and replace all the smd resistors with through-hole Vishays, and let us know if it still actually works without stray oscillations and noise... :)

Last edited:
Yes getting a bit off topic here. Just interested, or wonder if something like that BURSON SUPREME OPAMP might improve that input buffer on the nc500?

I don't really like the idea of "plug-in replacement" opamps. Unless you understand the circuit and the parameters of the original opamp you are replacing, you are pretty much throwing dice and hope they stick on the wall.

It is much better to start with a clean sheet and design a buffer based on the opamp you want to use (or do a discrete design, but for the specific purpose).

I don't really like the idea of "plug-in replacement" opamps. Unless you understand the circuit and the parameters of the original opamp you are replacing, you are pretty much throwing dice and hope they stick on the wall.

It is much better to start with a clean sheet and design a buffer based on the opamp you want to use (or do a discrete design, but for the specific purpose).

I do agree with you ...but curiosity killed...the Amp! Hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.