Hypex Ncore

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So by R95 it was quite easy to get the DC trimmed to approx. 10mV. I made sure the amps was on for a couple of hours before this. Turning them off for 15 minutes and the turning them on again, it took them 1 hour to get them back to 10mV. Initially the showed shortly, say 10 seconds, 800 mV. No DC anywhere now sorted input pins or not.

A bit disappointed that that this isn't correct on delivery - obviously there is even some locking-paint on the trimmers so something is done but not correct in manufacturing.

//

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
So by R95 it was quite easy to get the DC trimmed to approx. 10mV. I made sure the amps was on for a couple of hours before this. Turning them off for 15 minutes and the turning them on again, it took them 1 hour to get them back to 10mV. Initially the showed shortly, say 10 seconds, 800 mV. No DC anywhere now sorted input pins or not.

A bit disappointed that that this isn't correct on delivery - obviously there is even some locking-paint on the trimmers so something is done but not correct in manufacturing.

//

My goal is to have no capacitors in the signal path... actually i would like to avoid them even in the power feeding ;) The latter is a challenge but I'm pursuing it.

Why?

Capacitors are there for a reason.

I can see someone not wanting a transformer, with all the limitations and non-linearities, in the signal path, but trying to avoid capacitors in the power supply is like saying you want a car without any rubber. Yes, if you really try, you can do it - but there will always be disadvantages.

Different insights, different design priorities.

Indeed. Just trying to understand your rationale.

Of cource trafo is not for DC blocking.. (just for the record)

Indeed. A transformer is not for DC blocking, but a reason to block DC, as they don't like DC.

BTW, calling transformers "trafo" is common in Scandinavia, Germany and Holland, but is unusual in English.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I'll try to avoid "trafo" :)

Rational: Simple, but not to simple. Less is more. Fix faults, don't compensate. C, to a greater extent than L, is evil.

My experience is that given that on can master the impedance surroundings for a transformer, its not so easy to beat a good transformer for pure voltage gain. Measure vise yes, but not necessarily SQ.

//

Music is not DC, there are also capacitors that store energy for fast release and then quickly recharge. This is not meant as a full answer, just two things to think about. Maybe some reading about the way audio amplifiers work and how they are rated. There are so many variables that come into play. Theoretically either channel could put out 100 watts if the other channel was putting out either nothing or very very little. If you take into account the energy stored in the caps, which are probably small, the amp could put out more than 100 watts for a limited time.

Status
Not open for further replies.