Hifimediy T4 board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My T4

2012_%25202_18_22_57.jpg

2012_%25202_18_22_57.jpg

2012_%25202_18_22_57.jpg

Hi, TheDealer.

In your post #300, you said
"I meanwhile got the impression that Hifimediy built in something like a current break or the output filters have to be changed into better quality ones."

What is "current break"? Is it a circuit?
What kind of output filters you will suggest?
Is an English version of Tripath Reviews?
I used google translate to translate the reviews to English but some words still in German.

Hi, TheDealer.

In your post #300, you said
"I meanwhile got the impression that Hifimediy built in something like a current break or the output filters have to be changed into better quality ones."

What is "current break"? Is it a circuit?
I hope I did not confuse you with my expalanation attempts. This current break should be best explained by hifimediy ... I just can make my supposes but what definetly is not to discus: the bass performance of the T2. It lacks a bit especially with 8 ohm speakers. O.K. the output power will be reduced in this combo because here the T1 is the better matching. Even though: also with a 6 ohm speaker you get more bass performance from other amps. The tests are not quite completed. I have here also very dynamic big 4 ohm cabasse speaker. Hope that here the bass deficit will decrease. This bass behaviour is also valid for a T4. It seemed to be lightly limited compared to a 30 year old Rotel classic amp.
And we used here 8 Ohm speakers which means that the T4 should have more output power. There are some giant killers (solid states) out there with 30 or 40 watts per channel. This is quite enough as long the amp delivers the needed current. The most significant advantage of Hifimediy amps (or other good Tripaths) are imho: speed, information extraction capability on low listenning levels and soundstage placement. Here the solid states loose a bit. The tonal presence of mids and highs could be also a bit less with T2 and T4. But this can easily modded on your prefers with input caps.
What kind of output filters you will suggest?
I will not suggest here any filter solutions as long the tests have been not completed. Here are some wurth coils mentioned instead of air coils which are standard on T4 board but one electrician told me that probably high quality air coils are better.
Is an English version of Tripath Reviews?
Sadly not in moment. Maybe in future when the needed times are available.

Last edited:
I hope I did not confuse you with my expalanation attempts. This current break should be best explained by hifimediy ... I just can make my supposes but what definetly is not to discus: the bass performance of the T2. It lacks a bit especially with 8 ohm speakers. O.K. the output power will be reduced in this combo because here the T1 is the better matching. Even though: also with a 6 ohm speaker you get more bass performance from other amps. The tests are not quite completed. I have here also very dynamic big 4 ohm cabasse speaker. Hope that here the bass deficit will decrease. This bass behaviour is also valid for a T4. It seemed to be lightly limited compared to a 30 year old Rotel classic amp.
And we used here 8 Ohm speakers which means that the T4 should have more output power. There are some giant killers (solid states) out there with 30 or 40 watts per channel. This is quite enough as long the amp delivers the needed current. The most significant advantage of Hifimediy amps (or other good Tripaths) are imho: speed, information extraction capability on low listenning levels and soundstage placement. Here the solid states loose a bit. The tonal presence of mids and highs could be also a bit less with T2 and T4. But this can easily modded on your prefers with input caps.

I will not suggest here any filter solutions as long the tests have been not completed. Here are some wurth coils mentioned instead of air coils which are standard on T4 board but one electrician told me that probably high quality air coils are better.

Sadly not in moment. Maybe in future when the needed times are available.

Looks like you're describing the weak spots of my setup... with the high sensitive Klipsch speakers.

Looks like you're describing the weak spots of my setup... with the high sensitive Klipsch speakers.

although you use Klipsch ... ? It is well known that Klipsch speakers usually produce party levels also with portable radios. Try a TA2020 with battery power. I heard and read about very good results of the combo with a TA2024 Trendsaudio and a pair of Klipsch Palladium P39-F (60 kg each and expensive).

Im also using T4 and mod it. Problem with smoothness will cure if you feed TC200 with high quality regulated psu than using onboard LM.
I fully quote surya. You can use a good SMPS (original MeanWell would do the job very well...even if they are not exotic...) or an external linear PSU...using a toroidal directly attached to the board wouldn't provide the best performance.

I read about T4 hiss on the beginning of this thread. Has it been cured ? Perhaps I will get T3/T4 or Hypex once I get bored to my nice sounding T1.
My speaker is 6 ohm (KEF Q300), which one is more suitable : T3 or T4 ?
I would get a T3, because it better handles low impedance loads....but you need an adequate PSU.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.