Best buy class-D amp for 130$ (without case)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!This is my firts post in this forum!:)
Let me explain my situation (I hope I'll be short!): now I'm listening to music through an emergency sytem :headbash: made by a pair of coaxial 4" car speakers in closed box and Yamaha NS-W1 Sub, all powered by a Creative HT sys amp (it's a class A/B chip amp).
It's not a pc-speaker quality sys but it is not Hi-Fi! So I decided about 6 months ago to switch to a new system.
The new system will be composed by: PC as source, xyz:confused:amplifier and a pair of speakers designed and calculated by myself (note that I've projected the speaks because there is nothing I like at about 470$ (350€) if so tell me!They are closed box with f3 at 52Hz, Qtc 0,707; I use Dayton DA175-8 and Vifa-Scanspeak-Thympany DX25TG09-04).
I'm looking for a neutral sounding system so I choosed class-d amp and PC as source(I mean no tube amp or other euphonic devices). Now: which is the best amplifier in this price range(max130$ without case, so including psu) capable of controlling 83dB/W speakers???:scratch2:
I was already oriented on the Hifimediy T1...but I'm not sure at all of my choice and I'm sick and tired of looking up for an answer, reading the whole web!
So .... HELP MEEEE!!! :bawling::sorry::headbash:

Yes I do, but after reading a lot of forums and reviews I concluded that it's not the kind of sound I want...and I prefer a pre-assembled board, because I've no time and/or enough skill to make a proper made work.

Hifimediy would definitely meet your requirements and budget, if you think 50W will drive your 83 dB efficient speakers well in your room.

Hifimediy would definitely meet your requirements and budget, if you think 50W will drive your 83 dB efficient speakers well in your room.

I think and hope it will be enough! My room it's about 5x4 meters, but I don't listen at high volume, even if sometimes I like to turn up the knob :tilt:... Does anyone have experienced the couple "Hifimediy T1" - "Dayton DA175-8" ? How does it sound?

I begin to be convinced that T1 with Alps pot it's the right choice...Thank you zog666.
I'll wait for some other opinion and then (at the and of the month because now I've exams at university :scared: :eek:!!!) I'll begin the work!

Sure Electronics has their 4x100W TK2050 Tripath Class T (proprietary Class D) amp board, the one with the big heatsink and not the dual with the fan :rolleyes:, plus their 27V 13A "Meanwell" (switching) power supply, plus free shipping all for $90 :eek: :

4*100w TK2050 Tripath Audio Amplifier + 27V 13A 351W MW Power Supply FREE SHIPPING(AA-AB33182 + PT-IP012)_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

I just ordered a small class T amp from them to play around with. I don't have any experience with their stuff (yet), but the dozens and dozens of pages of forum posts here on the amps seem to generally be in the positive feedback direction.

-agdr

Sure Electronics has their 4x100W TK2050 Tripath Class T (proprietary Class D) amp board, the one with the big heatsink and not the dual with the fan :rolleyes:, plus their 27V 13A "Meanwell" (switching) power supply, plus free shipping all for $90 :eek: :

4*100w TK2050 Tripath Audio Amplifier + 27V 13A 351W MW Power Supply FREE SHIPPING(AA-AB33182 + PT-IP012)_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

I just ordered a small class T amp from them to play around with. I don't have any experience with their stuff (yet), but the dozens and dozens of pages of forum posts here on the amps seem to generally be in the positive feedback direction.

-agdr

What's up with the specs on this board? How can it be both 40 watts into 8 ohms at <3% THD+N and 30 watts into 8 ohms at 0.007% THD?

The 0.007% at 30 watts is obviously wrong. This amp seems to have a lot of distortion. Who rates the power of an amplifier at 10% THD+N? I'll bet that sounds really good. :rolleyes: This is not a 100 watt amp, it's closer to 30 watts for hi-fi. Probably still a good deal, just don't expect 100 watts of clean power.:D

High Output Power
30W @ 6Ω, < 1% THD+N
40W @ 8Ω, < 3% THD+N
100W @ 4Ω, < 10.0% THD+N
High Efficiency
86% @ 60W 8Ω
82% @ 46W 6Ω
90% @ 100W 4Ω
Audiophile Quality Sound
0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8Ω
0.005% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω

-agdr

Thank u agdr! What make me think is the large amount of tweakings I've read about it....so I wouldn't spent less at the beginning and then spent a lot of time and money on (better) spare parts, risk of damaging etc...
In Italy we have this (probably very in disuse!) proverb : "Who spent the most, he spent the least" (chi più spende, meno spende)...
So the question is: does it worth spending less?Or: is the Hifimediy significantly better to pay the surplus 40$?
Can anybody compare Hifimediy T1 to Sure TK2050 2x100W? (I'm going to build 8ohm speakers)
Does anybody have the couple Dayton DA175-8 & Thympany-Vifa DX25TG05-04 (or equivalent DX25TG09-04) paired with one of these to amp?

Lol - sampleaccurate: you are quite right. I just logged in again to edit my post about that and you beat me to it. :) The 100W is off in the night marketing spin. Here is the chip datasheet:

TK2050 Datasheet pdf - Stereo 50W Amplifier Chipset - Tripath

As you noted that 100W is 4 ohm using TWO chips in parallel for a mind-numbing 10% distortion.

The real scoop, as you say, is 30W into 8 ohm or 70W into 4 ohm for low distortion.

Thanks for catching that!

-agdr

Centvrion: good question, and I don't know... but I know a lot of folks here will! I see a lot of postings about those two amps (Sure and HiFimeDIY). I'm sure you will get some good replies. Also note sampleaccurate's post - he is quite right - despite what Sure calls it that is not a 100W amp (per channel) in an audiophile sense. Its a 30W amp (per channel) for low THD for your 8 ohm speakers.

Last edited:
What's up with the specs on this board? How can it be both 40 watts into 8 ohms at <3% THD+N and 30 watts into 8 ohms at 0.007% THD?

The 0.007% at 30 watts is obviously wrong. This amp seems to have a lot of distortion. Who rates the power of an amplifier at 10% THD+N? I'll bet that sounds really good. :rolleyes: This is not a 100 watt amp, it's closer to 30 watts for hi-fi. Probably still a good deal, just don't expect 100 watts of clean power.:D

High Output Power
30W @ 6Ω, < 1% THD+N
40W @ 8Ω, < 3% THD+N
100W @ 4Ω, < 10.0% THD+N
High Efficiency
86% @ 60W 8Ω
82% @ 46W 6Ω
90% @ 100W 4Ω
Audiophile Quality Sound
0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8Ω
0.005% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω

I wondered the same....and I found the answer looking in the Tripath tk2050 datasheet...http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/Tripath/mXyzwqtw.pdf there is a little mistake (

"

• 35W @ 6Ω, < 1% THD+N

• 50W @ 8Ω, < 3% THD+N
  • 117W @ 4Ω, < 10.0% THD+N(paralleled outputs)
  • Audiophile Quality Sound
    • 0.007% THD+N @ 30W 8Ω
    • 0.005% THD+N @ 70W 4Ω(paralleled outputs)
"

But your answer is at page 9 of the datasheet...
However usable power is around 30-35W then it sounds like supermarket speakers... :yikes:

Nevertheless both the amps use the same chip (differently implemented?)...and I wouldn't threw it away at the moment:eek:

Centvrion: good question, and I don't know... but I know a lot of folks here will! I see a lot of postings about those two amps (Sure and HiFimeDIY). I'm sure you will get some good replies. Also note sampleaccurate's post - he is quite right - despite what Sure calls it that is not a 100W amp (per channel) in an audiophile sense. Its a 30W amp (per channel) for low THD for your 8 ohm speakers.
Thank you agdr, I knew that it was not a 100W amp... And I read a lot of good posts about Sure as a lot of tweakings about it, on the contrary I've read only good posts on the Hifimediy and no tweakings, but is this because Hifimediy is less known?Or really because sounds already good as new?

Power specs with 10% THD seem to be typical for class D amplifiers.
For instance the Philips TDA8920 class D chip also specifies a 10% THD output power.
Maybe it has to do with class D amplifiers used for subwoofer applications (pretty normal until years ago); we don't seem to hear high distortion levels in the bass.
I don't know if this particular value of THD+N have something to do with this amplification class, but I think it's only related to the maximum power! So if you don't turn up the volume you won't hear it...nevertheless I don't know the percepible level of THD+N distorsion but I think that it must be around 1%(for not "well used" ears, otherwise it could be a lot littler- in my opinion-).Probably for subws this value is a bit less important

...nevertheless I don't know the percepible level of THD+N distorsion but I think that it must be around 1%(for not "well used" ears, otherwise it could be a lot littler- in my opinion-).Probably for subws this value is a bit less important

Perception of harmonic distorsion is a very complex matter.
THD can be benign to the ears when the even order components are dominant; lower absolute THD with dominant odd order components can sound nasty.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.