New TK2050 board - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2010, 08:33 PM   #1011
kc7wdg is offline kc7wdg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimediy View Post
Hi, guys.
I have to say that there are certain problems in our products including this relay problem. I just found that this relay can not handle voltage up to 30V when large current, and when will perform as STUCK. And I already try to find a new relay that will be stronger, but I couldn't find it by now(HONGFA HF152 may be the one, but are out of stock now). And I will keep on looking for that. I believe that if use v1 below 28V it will be ok because I tested every board and didn't find one with that problem. So we will keep selling v1 with HONGFA JQC-3FF and update the relay when I find a new one to replace.
And I feel very happy that may of you help and support us so much. I think it's my duty that doing things better.
I have a v1.1b running at 29volts that has been off and on every day some times a few times a day for 3 months so I can "confirm" your suspicions.

Scott
Old 7th November 2010, 10:26 PM   #1012
smithie is offline smithie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

hi guys
its taken me awhile to bash through this whole thread and must say ive found it very intresting,intresting to the point where i think its time to give these digital amps a try
can i also say well done to hifimediy for not only producing the product but for also taking on board the modding ideas etc from this thread and finding the time and will to interact with this forum...well done and rare to see
also well done to Nick122147 for bringing said product to our atention and also giving us the means in which to buy them...thank you.
ok i have some questions as this type of amp technology is new to me and have never heard any of them( ive been drawn to these ones because of the reasons stated above),im a die hard valve/tube amp kind of guy and although althrough these posts the sound quality as been stated as excellent im just wondering how they stack up against well established audio gear that i may have heard or used so i have some point of reference to get a idea of the quality i should expect,so if anyone has any reviews where they have compared them to some of the shelf highish end gear i would be very intrested to hear there views on it,moreso if its against some tube gear.
im thinking of getting
2 x Hifimediy T3 300W @4ohm STA517B Tripath amp boards and maybe running them on acouple of ac torridal transformers to keep cost down but i use very sensitve hawthorne sterling silver iris drivers(97db 8ohm) so they would have to be very quite otherwise ill be hearing any noise through these speakers,so can anyone tell me if these are noise free? my intention is to make acouple of mono blocks so i can place them by my speakers and run them off my audionote tube pre-amp,can anyone see any problems this way?
also last question,as sound quality is my ultimate goal and i have such efficent drivers that power rating isnt a issue is there a conclusion on which of these moduals used the way i intend to use them gives the best sound?(i know i dont need the t3 power wise but im drawn to them as i like the smallness and layout of the boards and the option to use ac or dc and the fact that they will give me plenty of power reserves for when playing my music loud,anything is going to do that against my 8watt audionote tube amps that im using at present)
sorry for all the questions and long post but any guidance and view would be much appricated as im keen to get something ordered
all the best
smithie

Last edited by smithie; 7th November 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 7th November 2010, 10:54 PM   #1013
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'm using the TK2050 V1.2 board with a Meanwell 26v 4.2A SMPS to power my mids which are Eminence Delta 10A, 10" woofers, 8ohm, SPL: 98.8 dB 1W/1m. There is very low noise floor and plenty of power to play loud. Iv'e tried quite a few different amps on my mids including Hypex and other Tripaths. Subjective comparisons depend too much on the listener so I won't bother getting into that but I will say they sound clean have low current draw and for the price they stack up.

I use a TA2020 on my highs and a TA3020 on my subs. Iv'e found this to be the best combination in my 3-way active system to keep a low noise floor and have good dynamics.

col.
Old 8th November 2010, 06:36 AM   #1014
diyAudio Member

Default How to jump the power relay on T1

Hi, we change the name of boards, so v1>T1 and v2>T2, and keep T3
If a stuck happened:
use a wire to jump the power relay as it showed below; or
use a diode (with relay removed and wire useless) if necessary.
Some one may need this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T1.jpg (52.2 KB, 659 views)

Last edited by hifimediy; 8th November 2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 8th November 2010, 09:40 AM   #1015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithie View Post
im thinking of getting
2 x Hifimediy T3 300W @4ohm STA517B Tripath amp boards and maybe running them on acouple of ac torridal transformers to keep cost down but i use very sensitve hawthorne sterling silver iris drivers(97db 8ohm) so they would have to be very quite otherwise ill be hearing any noise through these speakers,so can anyone tell me if these are noise free?
Hi I think you'll like these amps ...

With those speakers however, I'd advise you to take the T1 type – it's going to sound better, because of how the chip is used. Using a one channel from the power chip per speaker gives a more lively, open and sweet sound. (Clearer and sweeter at the same time.)

Plus, the output filter should be better tuned to 8 Ohm drivers – the T3 might be a little "sharp" here, unmodified.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:43 PM   #1016
diyAudio Member

hi
thanks for your replys and views,im still undecided but ill ponder till ive made a decision.
the trouble i have now is that ive just read somewhere that if you run a digital amp on your main drivers and use a normal a/b type amp to power your subs(as i do) then you will get phasing issues and they wont match up properly..or something like that??? anyone know about this or have experience? if theres any truth in this then that could become abit of a deal breaker for me
all the best
smithie
Old 8th November 2010, 12:49 PM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Not true.
I have been using Tripath based amps for years,
with a seperate plate amp for subs and it blends beautiful.
trust me it is not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithie View Post
hi
thanks for your replys and views,im still undecided but ill ponder till ive made a decision.
the trouble i have now is that ive just read somewhere that if you run a digital amp on your main drivers and use a normal a/b type amp to power your subs(as i do) then you will get phasing issues and they wont match up properly..or something like that??? anyone know about this or have experience? if theres any truth in this then that could become abit of a deal breaker for me
all the best
smithie
Old 8th November 2010, 01:06 PM   #1018
diyAudio Member

hi
thats cool to hear and thanks for sharing.
i sometimes wonder if people write this stuff to get noticed or there bored
but as ive said i have no experience so can only rely on the forums and peoples views regarding it all,anyway i wa thinking it couldnt be much different then me using a tube amp on my main drivers and ss on my subs
now if hifimediy could make and produce a mono self contained digital crossover and power modual of say 300-400 into 8ohm just for subs using these amps i would be knocking at his door (providing the price was right of course)...no rush,next week is fine
all the best
smithie
Old 8th November 2010, 01:12 PM   #1019
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi, I may want to get noticed and I am bored but I would not mix up different topologies when unsure whether there is a phase-difference or not. To make sure such "problems" won't occur it is better to use amps of the same topology. In case of using a switching amp on a subwoofer it is hard to notice by ear unless you can A/B compare with the correct situation.

But often people like to listen MP3's with a lot of boom. They won't even notice if stuff is in phase or not

Last edited by jean-paul; 8th November 2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 8th November 2010, 01:13 PM   #1020
diyAudio Member

was thinking on my situation and thought the best thing to do is buy one of the cheapest hifimediy amps avaliable with power surply and give it a try,that way ill know if there for me or not.
now heres the trouble part.....im geared up for mono blocks.
if i buy a stereo amp to listern to i would then have to buy sone speaker cable to make it work as im only using half meter lengths at the moment,and if i did that i would have to by 2x3 metres of half decent stuff to get a fair shootout between what im using now and these amps.
yet if i do that then the cost of the decent cable would proberly cost the same as buying to lots of amps and sorting there power surplies out
now you can see why my head hurts...decisions,decisions
smithie

Hide this!Advertise here!