truepath quicky...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello,

baised on my experences on the sure 2x100 amps with a meanwell smps supply, im looking at getting 3 x 41hz trupath amps for surround use.

i was planning to run it on a smps supply as im so impressed with the meanwell unit, do i need any other components like the soft start etc that 41hz sells or can i get away with the basic board?

i wanted to try the hypex modules, but they are far too expensive when all is added up for me to gamble on.

any other advice is welcome.

cheers peeps.

im thinking this one-

Connexelectronic

unless you have a better suggestion?

i know that connexelectronic makes there own 3020 amp, but i liked the look of the 41hz unit, and i get the impression that it runs 300w @8ohm (bridged i assume)

just in case, i thought id ask- there isnt a better option for this kind of money is there? sound quality is the most important factor. £200 for 2 channels for all this power and quality is fantastic!

Last edited:
I have amp7 and amp2 from 41hz, they both are the best to me, other have amps from connexelectronic, and as far as I know, they love them too

So I guess there is more what you like... I just know I got my amp the same week as it was orderd (I think it was 3 days in both cases)

power will be something like this, if you have +/-60v, you are looking at about 400/200w into 4/8, with really great sound, very powerfull stuff

I think you can't go wrong with either of them, but it seems you get more with connexelectronic... I guess you will have say final word anyway

hi col,

ive done lots of soldering, and a little smd, so im ok with that part- but i havent made an amp before, the closest thing is speaker crossovers-but there not exactly hard.- should i be worried??

if you have +/-60v, you are looking at about 400/200w into 4/8, with really great sound, very powerfull stuff

41hz site just says same output as amp 2- which lists 300w into 4 or 8 ohms?? or is this just at low distortion?- i just wanted to check if it was 300w only into 8 ohm on the truepath (so roughly 150-160w at 8 ohm) or its the same as the amp 2?

i41hz site just says same output as amp 2- which lists 300w into 4 or 8 ohms?? or is this just at low distortion?- i just wanted to check if it was 300w only into 8 ohm on the truepath (so roughly 150-160w at 8 ohm) or its the same as the amp 2?

The main difference between the TA3020 boards at 41hz is their handling of low impedance loads - at 8ohm they'll all be voltage limited to about 2x150W RMS, bridged 1x600W RMS.

I'd recommend getting something from Connexelectronic - you can get a fully assembled module, with heatsink for the same price as a 41hz kit.

ahh yes, didnt realise that the connexelectornic amps were ready built modules- thats great!
whats the quality like? is the sound much the same as the sure 2x100boards? component quality good?
am i kidding myself that this could be as good as the hypex modules?

i was under the impression that the 3020 chip was considered the best for audio quality is this correct?- as ive seen the TA0105ARB model board- not sure if this would be better....round and round i go!!

Last edited:
am i kidding myself that this could be as good as the hypex modules?

Short answer, yes.

Without getting into a debate about the Tripath vs. Hypex sound; what you get with Hypex is a dead silent noise floor and load independent frequency response.

If those two things aren't that big of a concern to you, then Tripath is by far the best "bang for your buck" choice. On the other hand though, if you have disposable income, then there is no reason to not go with Hypex.

thankyou all,

i think the plan is going to be to buy a tripath board, and power supply and a pair of hypex modules. if the hypex modules (ucd400HxR) and power supply are significantly better, they will be run as the front and the tripath will be used as a rear channel amp, if theres not a real improvement there to my ears or the hypex isnt as good, ill sell it and get more tripaths!!

3020 chip or is there an advantage to going bigger/more power? the TA0105ARB is very powerfull, and cheap- but i have no idea about quality. and if i were to stick with the 3020 units- whats the difference between the v2 and the v3,a,b,c?

Last edited:
thanks again all, just before i go for this (v3c with cap and mosfet upgrade) the smps 1000 will be apropriate for delivering the 400w @4 ohm -yes? what would the input voltage be at to get to this?
when running at this voltage, whats the output power into 8 ohms?

all this help is realy appreciated!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Noise Comparison

I recently did a listening comparison between a Sure Electronics 2 x 100W with a Meanwell 24v 4.5A SMPS and a Connex Electronics TA3020 V1 with 43v linear 300VA PSU at a friends house on his speakers. The Connex Electronics TA3020 had vastly superior bass control and better dynamics.

col.

Which amp is more silent?

How does the bass/dynamics compare at the same volume within the Sure amps comfort zone? This is assuming the Sure is lower powered and also at lower PS voltage.

dont know which is more silent, but when my sure board is placed more than a couple of inches away from the power supply, my 95db/w speakers generate the least noise ive ever got out of a system- when i put my ears to the tweeter, its so tiny i have to double check that im not imagining it- at any level.

ill post my thought on the comparrison between the 2 when i get the connex unit in.

cristi- could you link to the forum/page where others have shown there builds?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.