Tripath EB-TA2022 Board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, I have burned it in now for about a hundred hours. This amp combined with the Decware tube pre, and ADS speakers, is opening up into a great little stereo :)

It has a sweet spot at Medium volume levels. The Decware has an adjustable line level out voltage and the Tripath likes the lowest setting. I'm sure the Decaware adds much to the SQ I'm hearing but the two seem to match up very well.

Last edited:
Stoutblock:

Due to your good experiences with this amplifier, I have ordered my self two of these.

I'm very curious as to how good they are going to be.

They will go into my Surround setup suplementing my Hypex UCD400HXR's, which will
drive the main front speakers.
These two amplifiers will then drive the rear speakers, and the center speaker (one of them will run in bridged mode for the center).

Eventually, this will enable me to replace my mid-level Surround receiver, with a higher-end Surround preamplifier, and give me more flexibilty for coming updates.

I'm very much looking forward to building these, and to begin finding my coming preamplifier.

Just a follow up.

I have now finished a temporary build with these two amplifiers.

Besides them being caught up in the toll-office, and costing me more money because of this, they have been real easy to buy, and get up and playing. All in all a pleasant experience, and auspicious have been helpfull answering questions.

They produce a very nice full, and detailed sound, allthough they cant match my Hypex UCD400HG's. I didn't expect them to either, so thats OK.
They are a definate upgrade from the integrated amps in my Surround Receiver! So I'm very satisfied.

I do have one problem:

I have installed them so that they are fed from a 2x24V (300VA) torroidial transformer, and the 12V input from another torroidial transformer. Both amps are fed from the same transformers.

If I connect line input to one of the amplifiers all is fine. Crisp noisefree sound. But as soon as i connect the line-in to the second second amplifier, I get a very noticeable hum from all 4 speakers.

I have tried to rectify this by grounding the amps to the cabinet and connecting the GND power inputs on each amp to each other, but it only helps a little. If I use the amps as is, the hum is unbearable.

I have reduced the hum using the supplied volume controls. If I turn the volume down to under 50% the hum is not disturbing anymore, but is still there, you can hear it if you put you ear close to the speaker.

The receiver corrects for this low input setting by turning up the volume sent to these channels so it works ok, but I would rather have the problem fixed, so I don't have to use the volume controls.

Anybody got any good advice?

Sorry if my post gets to long or detailed, its not easy for me to describe in shorter terms.

Last edited:
Just an addition to this post (if anybody is reading).

When running a complete setup with my surround amplifiers build in Audissey Room EQ, it complained that these amplifiers reverse the phase. So in my case I have to connect the + terminal on the speaker, to the - terminal on the amps.

Other than this I have had no problems, except the humming, which I still have.

Guess I will have to rewire the amplifier supply ground, and the grounds from signal inputs, with some sort of common grounding to reduce it...

Still open for ideas :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

I only have 1 ground wire to the net, so cutting it does not seem beneficial.

But moving around the ground wires after the transformers has helped quite a bit.

I am however thinking of buying a second transformer, so that the two amplifiers can have each their own supply, and thereby be isolated from each other.

I think this is the best solution.

Are you saying that if I buy a second transformer, and build the two amplifiers in each their own cabinet, with no connection to each other, I will stil get a groundloop?

And I'm not sure what you are trying to tell me about cutting groundwires.

The transformer I use now has two separate 24V outputs, where they are connected so that they produce 48V together, by connecting the two "minus" cables together.

If I cut one of these, power wont flow from one of the outputs, and I'm quite certain the thing wont work?

What other ground do you want me to cut? There is only two wires supplying the tranformer.

Sorry if I'm being stupid, but I just dont understand what you want me to do...

OK.

So if the two amplifiers share the same supply, and the ground loop only appears, when I connect the signal to the second amplifier, I could possibly iliminate it by cutting the signal ground to the second amplifier, and share the ground in the other signal cable?

Would this work, or even sound good?

I think it might disable the hum a bit, but would not sound right.
If the second amp has no ground to reference to but the ground from the net, hum might as well reappear.

Although ive been wondering what would happen if you place twice as big input caps on the board, with that same caps on ground input too. As far as i can see, it let the amp keep the reference to signal ground, but not effectively connect it. (please, correct me if im wrong)

Also, you can try to only ground the chassis of the amp, and not connect the net ground to the amps zero volt line. Make sure that the pot is insulated from the chassis, as it might ground there....

teamacc:

Thanks for your suggestions.

The reason I have been slow to reply is that due to an error on my part I fried both amps :(

I accidentally broke the ground wire suppluing both amps, while they where powered on, and that resulted in two blown up 7912 regultors (loud bang from one of them), and both amps going into protection mode.

New 7812's and 7912's have been installed, and both amps work again.

To make a long story short, I hooked up the two amps with separate supply's, and the humming completely dissapeared. I have both playing right now, and there is absolutely no noise :)

They actually sound quite good. Not as good as my Hypex UCD400HxR's, but close enough, and at a much lower price.

Now on to building some nice boxes for them to live in :)

It's so beautiful.come on.
I found VN10 is so important for this amp,noise always come from here.EB-TA2022 may not attention to this question,this question isn't linear or switch supply,key point is voltage,PCB route also important,I 'm not draw along with TRIPATH EB-TA2022,We haven't ebay shop,if guys have other question pls send mail to me,my mail:authlxl@gmail.com

I have finished the first version, found some question and revised it .the second version will debug next weekend,We believe it will work well at that time.

Fixed specification (tested):

POWER OUT:2×100W/4Ω/1%THD+N,2×85W/4Ω/0.1%THD+N
SENSITIVITY:0dB
INPUT IMPEDANCE:10KΩ
POWER SUPPLY:90-265vac 50 OR 60Hz (T4A FUSE INSIDE)
FREQUENCY RESPONSE:20-20KHz ±1dB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.