Class D Audio, Who are these guys?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1st time builder

Hi there all!
This is my first go in the amp-building appartment! A SDS254Kit. It is just running its first go with some music this week - and 1 impression is - that it is just as good as my 2 year old HK980 - if not even more revealing. A little weak in the bass, but will change the electrolytic caps to some better/bigger later - in a box that is more accepting for this! A very good soundstage with my Alpair10.2 when I use the pre-amp in the Harman. Even straight from the Touch with some 24/96 music from BowersWilkins Music Club is very good(need some better DA-converter than my old DagMagic to fully unlock this possibility.
Next step - build a Nelson B1 Passive Buffer(some additional tricks from some of you guy out there as help for this build?).

And after that a F4-F5 amp - maybe? And maybe an Alpair12.2 MAOP? If time and Spirit allows!!

Building has never been so fun since I build an Hafler Pre-amp and a Sentec Power-amp in the 80s!

Best to all

Olav

Attachments

• DSC_0638.jpg
    DSC_0638.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,263
  • DSC_0639.jpg
    DSC_0639.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,245
  • DSC_0640.jpg
    DSC_0640.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,236
  • DSC_0642.jpg
    DSC_0642.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,199
Yes I am around poping in and out once in a while in this or that thread... I am guilty of starting other threads as well and then just letting them run themselves... KSA-100 thread for instance. I am still very busy converting the world over to Digital Cinema and that is consuming 95% of my time the last couple years... Keep the thread going... Class-D makes great products and I love that it is made in the USA!

Last edited:
Yes I am around poping in and out once in a while in this or that thread... I am guilty of starting other threads as well and then just letting them run themselves... KSA-100 thread for instance. I am still very busy converting the world over to Digital Cinema and that is consuming 95% of my time the last couple years... Keep the thread going... Class-D makes great products and I love that it is made in the USA!

LOL thanks for starting the threads! I would not know about classDaudio.com then!

Very interesting work Mark!

Perhaps you have a blog of your theater modernization adventures?

Any bench tests?

Hello all,

new to the forum here and working on my first DIY amp.

I have chosen to go with a module build first so i can better understand the power source and internal rigging.

I am seriously considering the TI-600 board. Actually 2 of them, one power source recapped to 60k capacitance and a 50v/1k transformer.

If i may run some ideas and methods across you members who have built several amps.

Here is what i will power now,
Polk monitors, rated 90db efficient.
from research I have learned i would need roughly an amp of ~120watts to get my speakers to play at 90db and then 20db head room for the peaks.
I will not often play them this loud as i cant stand reference 85db for to long but i like to have the power.

In the future i will be powering polk lsi line
4ohm and 88db efficient.
using the same logic i would need ~200watts. for 110peaks and 90db

i am wondering if the math formula i learned in a earlier post is a accurate representation of the output of the classd boards.

max output rms= rail voltage - 10/1.41=X. X^2/impedance
for my idea:
50-10=40
40/1.41=28
28^2=804
804/8=101watts per channel clean power.
804/4=201 watts clean per channel.

did i understand the formula correctly? I wonder if its pretty close because i do not have a sine wave generator and the other cool equipment to see when the wave distorts.
here comes the questions! Please hang in there with me.
1. is it correct to say 101 watts PER CHANNEL? or is that 101 TOTAL watts and then /2 for the channels?

2. I want to know your thoughts about my logic in choosing a transformer.

first off i want to maximize my amps potential, so I want to have 50v.
second, i simply added up the amps potential output and turned that into the VA rating.
I concluded that running 2 amp boards at 300wx4, I should have 1200va to cover the power needed by the amp.
1000va is rated at 50hz, living in America i have 60hz so my transformer would be 1250va. is that a proper logic for choosing a power source?

I will state this, I know ill never drive the amp at its max, as stated above at 8R i need about 120watts to get to 90-110db. but again i would like to have the power there especially when i get into the 4R speakers.

I have a transformer wiring question, I read the hook up schematic for the power source from class d audio, as i understand it you take the 2 50v secondaries and wire them in series and connect them to the board.
does this mean i have 100v rails?

and my output of clean power would be: 509watts at8R, 1018w at 4R?

Then finally the capacitance on the power source. I understand what a cap does for filtering and its charge holding ability.
I would like to know is 60k enough for smooth power operation of my idea?
i have read some other sources and they support a 4 channel amp to have 80k, or 20kcap for each channel.

I think that is enough for now.
oh and since i named the post about bench tests, well has anyone put the classd on the bench to see what it puts out?

Thank you all for your wisdom and time,

ESR:):)

Learning more and more.

This is just a reply to negate my question about the secondaries on the transformer.

I have just learned about what using the center tap with a transformer does when your secondaries are in series.

Still looking forward to all other advice.

thank you for your time.
esr:)

I haven't taken the time yet to read through this entire thread. I also know it is over a couple years old by now. My question is... How critical is it to the operation of the class d amp that a switching PSU be used - or is it? I've seen many examples here of people using an ole fashion linear PSU too. What is the best way to go? Thx,

I haven't taken the time yet to read through this entire thread. I also know it is over a couple years old by now. My question is... How critical is it to the operation of the class d amp that a switching PSU be used - or is it? I've seen many examples here of people using an ole fashion linear PSU too. What is the best way to go? Thx,
you can use linear supply too, but will be far bigger in a lot of ways

Thanks luka. I realize it will be bigger. Way larger than the amp modules themselves. :) SMPS is definitely the way to go when you want smaller and generally cooler supplies. I don't fully understand how switching supplies, but I can deal with linear supplies from a DIY perspective.

ClassD audio and Audio Board problem

First post...if it's the wrong thread pls address me to the correct one...
When connecting to CDA-224 to an input (High quality Audio Board) I hear some noise from the speakers (noise doesn't change when changing the Volume)
To analyze the problem I performed some tests with rmaa6 and saved the results in ZIP file (as html and export for rmaa6).
Audio Board = Ausus Zonar D2X,
Power Amp = Class D audio CDA-224

Tests are performed connecting an Y-Cable: 1 Input to line-output of AudioBoard, first Output to Line-In of AudioBoard (to make measurements), second Output to Amplifier.
Without connecting the PowerAmp or from headphones no problem.

As soon as amp is connected
(exactly same cabling as without connection) the distortion arises (see difference between
NoAmpConn.jpeg and pwredoffAmpConn.jpeg).
Note: problem arises even if power amp is powered off.
I tried to see if it could have been a ground loop but no success. Note: there is no Pre-Amp (Board should do).
Unfortunately I'm no expert...Any hint?

Thanks

Attachments

• Problem.zip
    571.5 KB · Views: 64
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.