Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 69 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2009, 08:49 AM   #681
ElFishi is offline ElFishi  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix358 View Post
It seems to me that D class amps require shielded input wire. A good triple shield in fact.

Terry
Depends, in my experience.
If it is only for the stock sure board in the box you can get away with twisted pair methinks. I have a b1 buffer in front of the sure amp that has very high input impedance which makes it a very capable EMI receiver. In fact, if I leave the input of the buffer open, touch the rca-pin from the source with one hand and hold my other hand close over the buffer, I can hear music.

Also an SMPS in the same box is a strong indicator to use shielded input cable for the inside wiring. I introduced a metal divider between SMPS and amp in my box and use microphone cable. Works for me.
Old 1st November 2009, 11:39 AM   #682
matherp is offline matherp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default 36V Meanwell power supply

Just for reference, Sure also do a 36V 350W version of the Meanwell power supply part number S-350-36, not listed on ebay, but they will quote you if you email them, same price as the 24V version. I've ordered one and will report when it arrives.
Old 1st November 2009, 12:06 PM   #683
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheonix358 View Post
It seems to me that D class amps require shielded input wire. A good triple shield in fact.

Terry
why can I get shielded solid wire for amp work on net?

thanks,

gychang
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:42 AM   #684
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Initial impressions of Litz wire and Ferroxcube cores

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I had a roll of 14ga. Belden kicking around but it is too expensive now to buy again. It is up to $60 per 1 pound roll at Mouser. 60 feet? per pound at 14ga./.09 inch. I didn't actually measure or compute how much wire is in each coil but it used up quite a bit of the full pound for 4 coils. 8 feet each? Many of the builders at 41hz favor litz wire so I am going to try that next. I ordered some 14ga. from ebay, at $.17 per foot in large quantities if I decide to go with it, it is much more reasonably priced and theoretically has a chance to sound even better. Solid core 14ga. is available from SmallParts.com. The Belden is very nice but the cheaper wire may work and sound just as good.
Magnet Wire - .0658 OD +0.0666"/-0.0651" Copper Core with Polyamide Coating, AWG 14 1LB Spool , Approximately 80 feet - SmallParts.com
I had wanted to find readily available coils to save time on this project as I may end up using 16-20 channels, but as usual, whatever crazy idea I come up with to make sounds way better than anything I can buy. I have found out that with class D, the coil is the key to unlocking the bottle neck at the output to world beating sound.
I also ordered some Ferroxcube cores today, not the optimum ones as they are unobtainium but something close, to see if by some miracle they will sound excellent enough but I am not holding my breath.
I did some brief listening with some Litz wire air core toroids and Litz wire on Ferroxcube cores and was surprised to find that I like the sound of solid core wire better. The 14ga Litz wire has a slight blurring effect where the 14ga solid core wire is razor sharp. Some listeners might like the Litz wire to mask over their harsh CDs but I prefer to hear all of the detail on my recordings that I can get. The Ferroxcube cores are surprisingly good though. Much better detail than the T106-2 cores and less than half the turns. Not quite as fleshed out and musical as the solid core air toroids but I might use them for the bottom drivers in an active cross set up to save build time and space. I didn't check them for emissions yet but they should be even better than the type 2 cores in that regard as well.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:13 AM   #685
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
I did some brief listening with some Litz wire air core toroids and Litz wire on Ferroxcube cores and was surprised to find that I like the sound of solid core wire better. The 14ga Litz wire has a slight blurring effect where the 14ga solid core wire is razor sharp. Some listeners might like the Litz wire to mask over their harsh CDs but I prefer to hear all of the detail on my recordings that I can get. The Ferroxcube cores are surprisingly good though. Much better detail than the T106-2 cores and less than half the turns. Not quite as fleshed out and musical as the solid core air toroids but I might use them for the bottom drivers in an active cross set up to save build time and space. I didn't check them for emissions yet but they should be even better than the type 2 cores in that regard as well.
Click the image to open in full size.

jesus christmas.

can we nickname that board 'Dumbo'?
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:20 AM   #686
diyAudio Member

I'm surprised it took that long for someone to comment on the outrageousness of that thing. Should be interesting to see what kind of case you put that thing in, if you ever do.
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:06 AM   #687
diyAudio Member

I can certainly see you garnering some attention at the next Denver hifi show if you had those on display there!!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:07 AM   #688
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Allen View Post
I can certainly see you garnering some attention at the next Denver hifi show if you had those on display there!!!
How about if it were five amps like that. Per channel. Running a twin DCX digital cross, open baffle, eleven driver symmetrical array, six way?
Old 3rd November 2009, 06:25 AM   #689
luka is offline luka  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to luka
what the... are they any good?
Old 3rd November 2009, 06:33 AM   #690
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushuliu View Post
jesus christmas.

can we nickname that board 'Dumbo'?
Siamese Dumbo