Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050 - Page 109 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2010, 06:46 PM   #1081
mfong is offline mfong  United States
diyAudio Member

Sendler,
thanks for the explanation about the extra fan. I did fire it up last night and it worked fine, sounded very good across the midrange, and I'm not aware of any problems with the fan on this version. I'm only using a 12 vote smps right now while I make a decision about power supplies. I did some comparison with my Hlly t-90 and Arjen's t-2020 bd. There are some differences, but there's also a strong familial resemblance between the 3 boards sonically. The 2022 remains distinctly darker though. The Sure could use more attack, but I'm pretty sure that has to do with my running it so far below its recommended voltage.
Old 7th March 2010, 07:10 PM   #1082
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott, thanks for the info on the input caps. So perhaps I should buy a couple more 0.47uf then at least all four caps will be of the same value, I can pick up a couple of cheapish ones tomorrow.

Regarding the coils, will these do the trick do you think ?

WUERTH ELEKTRONIK|744824622|CHOKE, COMMON MODE, 2.2MH 6A | Farnell United Kingdom

Thanks
Old 7th March 2010, 07:24 PM   #1083
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The importance of the output filter chokes is often underestimated, I have noticed several improvements of using really good ones. One advantage is lower current draw, another is less saturation at higher frequencies and higher power. All those cheapo ebay boards use output filters of the category "pure crap".

The input caps, even a 1uF cap will allow bottom deep bass frequencies to pass through. You can calculate the cross over frequency, basically the cap forms a highpass filter with the input impedance of the amplifier input. It's a simple PLLXO. I have the experience that under 200nF there is noticeably less lower bass extension. Above that it is often hardly noticeable, depending much on the rest of the system.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:08 PM   #1084
diyAudio Member

Thanks V-bro, but in my case I guess it really doesn't matter what passes through as the speaker xovers will deal with that anyway. I am sadly not overly technically minded and your PLLXO calculation is way beyond my comprehension.. So I may as well stick with 0.47uf's on each channel ?
Old 7th March 2010, 08:13 PM   #1085
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieboy View Post
Hi Scott, thanks for the info on the input caps. So perhaps I should buy a couple more 0.47uf then at least all four caps will be of the same value, I can pick up a couple of cheapish ones tomorrow.

Regarding the coils, will these do the trick do you think ?

WUERTH ELEKTRONIK|744824622|CHOKE, COMMON MODE, 2.2MH 6A | Farnell United Kingdom

Thanks
Nope, TOTALLY unsuitable. What you need is something that responds well with high current signal of more than 1Mhz. Common mode chokes filter fairly low current high frequency noise. You need a choke with a low perm core of sintered iron powder or MPP. Ferrite is quite unsuitable too. Beware that on saturation the cores can become excessively hot and even mess up the current sensing of the amplifier. Stuff blowing up due to this is not unlikely.

Apart from the risk of more emission I would rather recommend to use no core (aircore) than the wrong core material.

I have had TA3020 amps that went down from 90mA per rail of idle current (already quite good) to a spectacular 60mA per rail with a different inductor. Always beware that the output filter Q determines much of the in band linearity of a class T amplifier. This means you can have a rise of higher frequencies in the audio band. Some may experience this as pleasant and write raves about such an inductor, while in fact a treble boost would have the exact same result.

It's OK to fool yourself but best to try to stay objective in public. Also for this reason do be careful with what you read on forums.
Old 7th March 2010, 08:45 PM   #1086
diyAudio Member

Hmmmm.... ok, any chance of being pointed to the right ones to buy for the Sure TA2050 ? much appreciated from us novices*!*

Farnell United Kingdom | world-leading distributor of electronic and maintenance, repair and operations products.

Maplin Electronics ? Website- 2TB Seagate External Drive FREE delivery

Thanks v-bro
Old 7th March 2010, 08:59 PM   #1087
diyAudio Member

This is not easy, I don't think they have any suitable ones at Farnell. There are suitable ones from Panasonic, but the cheapest ones and probably the best ones are what you can wind yourself. Core manufacturers often are willing to send you samples. MPP cores are by far the best and I would recommend low perm (something like 20 to 60) Iron powder cores are also very suitable, this is what Tripath used themselves.

Over at 41hz you can possibly buy separate cores and wire. Or these:
http://www.xfmrs.com/pdf/XF100910DL-xxxx.pdf
Old 7th March 2010, 09:01 PM   #1088
diyAudio Member

CTCDTF Spec
Old 7th March 2010, 10:12 PM   #1089
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-bro View Post
This is not easy, I don't think they have any suitable ones at Farnell. There are suitable ones from Panasonic, but the cheapest ones and probably the best ones are what you can wind yourself. Core manufacturers often are willing to send you samples. MPP cores are by far the best and I would recommend low perm (something like 20 to 60) Iron powder cores are also very suitable, this is what Tripath used themselves.

Over at 41hz you can possibly buy separate cores and wire. Or these:
http://www.xfmrs.com/pdf/XF100910DL-xxxx.pdf
Ok, yes will wind them myself*, thanks for the 41hz link, they have various ones to choose from:

41Hz Audio:Sounds Good to Me!

The difference between these escapes me as they give little information...
Old 7th March 2010, 11:17 PM   #1090
sendler is offline sendler  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Coil Pile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieboy View Post
Ok, yes will wind them myself*, thanks for the 41hz link, they have various ones to choose from:

41Hz Audio:Sounds Good to Me!

The difference between these escapes me as they give little information...
I've listened to quite a few different coils including the ever popular T106 type 2 toroids from 41Hz and the Ferroxcube toroids as found in the ClassD audio amps (much better sounding but leak like an air core) with three different types of wire. 14ga Litz wrapped and unwrapped, 18ga solid, and Belden hard insulated 14 guage solid. And other recommended favorites from Toko, Sagami, CoilCraft, ect. The Wurth XXL were tried on a tip from another member or I wouldn't even have glanced at them. They look just like what you are taking out. Luckily I am open minded. I like them by far the best. They even sound better than my Belden air toroids in many ways, have a 13 amp saturation rating and they fit right in the stock location. I will use them exclusively. There are tens of very similar looking coils and tens more of larger types but the Wurth XXL have the best sonics of the ones I have tried.
http://katalog.we-online.de/kataloge...7447709004.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coil Pile comp.jpg (203.7 KB, 1157 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!