Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some compatriots of mine are working hard to mod this board.

In particular, the output stage implemented by Sure differs from the one suggested by Tripath in the related datasheets, therefore Barone Rosso decided to build the original one. Have a look at these pictures, the original thread (in Italian) is here. Google Translator might help some of you... ;)

http://t-class.niceboard.net/ta-202...electronics-tk2050-le-modifiche-t3113-225.htm

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Please a question.In the pdf Sure shows a Meanwell power supply with the amp ground going to -V.
Is the Meanwell power supply a single sided supply or has it positive and negative outputs?
Should the amp ground be going to the single ground terminal?
I was sent an incorrect 2 pin plug with my power supply.I assume therefore that the supply is double insulated and does not require an earth?
I'm sorry for these seemingly basic questions but I do not want to kill myself or my amp.
The Sure pdf seems wrong to me.
thanks
Paul

If you are using the Meanwell power supply then COM connects to Gnd on board and +V connects to VCC on board.
The power supply case should also be earthed. Do not earth the COM terminal.

Anyone adding input caps before the board and bridging C16 & C24 as in the picture from the Italian site, must remove R14 & R34, high DC on the output will result if you don't.

Also the bass roll-off is dependent on Gain settings, more Gain = more bass roll-off.

col said:
Sayang001, (cool, you have 100db speakers!) if you have the volume just before halfway up but nothing playing through the speakers is there any hiss? (before it burnt out).

cheers,
col.

On the low setting I could hear no hiss, will test again when the replacement arrives.

In the meatime I'm building a mono PA300 for this cabinet, old school class AB with 2 x MJ15004 and 2 x MJ15003.
From experience I know that the PA300 can withstand the abuse of a screaming guitar :smash:

Cost is a bit higher however, paid already 20 Euro for only the output transistors...

Finally recieved a replacement for the faulty board and it works. Im not really happy with the sound. So what i read from this topic i need to remove C25 and C17 and replace C24 and C16 with 2.2uF capacitors? Also removing the "BJ 6CA" voltage limiters under the board improves the sound. Is that correct or am i going to do something wrong? Im a real noob with electronics and dont want to destroy my board, so im only planning on doing the easiest mods on it.
Cheers,
Lasse

output stage

If the little plastic housings of the output inductors say "220", does that mean they are 22uH?
That would differ markedly from the 10uH sure put down in their schematic (and still from the 15uH as suggested in the datasheet schematic).
Also C33,36,47,50 seem to be .68uF and not .47uF (or .22)
Only C35,49 are .22uF, just as it says (datasheet gives .1)

I want to at least replace the output caps. But if I want to completely re-build the output stage as suggested by the datasheet I guess I have to replace the inductors, too.

Any recommendations on what inductors to use? Does size matter or proximity to the chip? Then SMD seems like a good choice.
Other choices?

Missing Zobels

mravlcax said:

You have zobel caps on your board (C34, C48) and resistors? My sure board didn't have zobel components on board, thats why it was a bit rough on highs. After adding zobel filter the sound was much nicer, also change these grey caps(output capacitors) with something better.

Regards Ales

I think that all these boards from sure are without zobel network.

I don't think those are Zobel caps that are missing. My reading of the schematics says those are the HBR caps, High Frequency Bypass caps for VCC and GND to the chips. The Zobel caps and resisters are next to the missing HBR caps and are present.

The missing HBR caps should be .1uf 50V.

-Dr Vega

Re: Missing Zobels

dr_vega said:

I don't think those are Zobel caps that are missing. My reading of the schematics says those are the HBR caps, High Frequency Bypass caps for VCC and GND to the chips. The Zobel caps and resisters are next to the missing HBR caps and are present.

The missing HBR caps should be .1uf 50V.

-Dr Vega

My mistake. I mis-read the photographs. (My boards haven't arrived, yet.) Those are the Zobels that are missing.

Does anyone have recommendations for small film caps to use there (.47uF 50V)? I suppose polypropylene would be best, but they are large.

-Dr Vega

Im a bit disappointed in the lows this amp produces. So im planning on changing the caps on the input, but im a total noobie in electronics. So if i remove the small smd on C25 and C17 and connect the new 2.2uF capacitor as shown in the picture on the right, will it work? Or do i have to connect the way it is shown on the left?

And how does it change the sound removing the voltage limiters on the other side of the board? Someone said it will "roll off the treble from 3.5khz", don't really understand what he meant by "roll off".

whelibob said:
Im a bit disappointed in the lows this amp produces. So im planning on changing the caps on the input, but im a total noobie in electronics. So if i remove the small smd on C25 and C17 and connect the new 2.2uF capacitor as shown in the picture on the right, will it work? Or do i have to connect the way it is shown on the left?

And how does it change the sound removing the voltage limiters on the other side of the board? Someone said it will "roll off the treble from 3.5khz", don't really understand what he meant by "roll off".

Hello, Yes you remove C25 and C17 and connect as on the right in the picture, replacing C24 and C16.

I removed the voltage limiters because they limited the treble in my case. If you find the treble OK or bright, you could leave them in place.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.