B&O ICEpower modules – any built?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I use ASP1000 full range and don't agree with Tekkos judgment. On swedish forums these amps has been bashed by some of the "gurus" and the desiphles keep shanting their wisdom.

They sound great. regarding the power bandwith, yes, they do not put out 1000w at 22 khz but if you knew anything about spectral division of music this is only of academic interests. I think these amps has some very attractive characteristscs and I enjoy them every day on a high quality system. They are revealing so any crap (ok, dirt then :) ) up or downstream is revelad. Nuff said!

Did either of you find any problems in completing them, eg noise, availability of connections?

Tekko

> after about 1 KHz, they roll off

That sounds like something went wrong . .

TNT,

Could you give a summary of your successful implementation?

Thanks

Response over 30 kHz or 50 kHz

There’s another graph in there http://www.icepower.bang-olufsen.com/en/downloads/ (sorry don’t know how to post it):

Typical Performance Characteristics - Frequency Response on page 9.
It shows response at 20 kHz is about – 0.2 db, but as frequency rises above 30 kHz (for 4 ohm loads) or 50 kHz (for 8 ohms), response starts to fall relatively rapidly.
By 100 kHz: the 4 ohm is about – 6 dB, the 8 ohm is about – 4 dB.

I think a falling response "higher up" isn't unusual, but this fall is more than most. Its audibility would be debated . .

That is just the typical frequency roll-off associated with the output filter which should remain constant throughout the amps power range.

The power bandwidth roll-off mentioned above is something entirely different.

(Excuse me if I sound like I know what I'm saying; I really don't) :eek:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just put mine in a very tigth shielded and closed box.
Put a ferrite (inside the box) on the power connection wires. Whery thgth fit.
Good quality XLR connectors and there you go!
Power is on the back - no switch for on/off.
Thats it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

otto88 said:
Did either of you find any problems in completing them, eg noise, availability of connections?

Tekko

> after about 1 KHz, they roll off

That sounds like something went wrong . .

TNT,

Could you give a summary of your successful implementation?

Thanks

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
This is from the spec:

"Long-term high frequency protection
The output filter of the amplifier is not capable of handling large long-term high frequency signals due to the
output Zobel-network (see Figure 22). The protection circuit decreases the threshold of the soft clipping circuit to
limit the input signal in case of overload. Thereby damage of the Zobel-network (or the high frequency drive
unit) will not occur under laboratory test or any other condition that is not music (e.g. microphone feedback).
The module has been tested at extreme levels with the most demanding music without triggering the high
frequency protection circuit."

I have never been able to trigger the protection and I have been playing loud, I assure you.

By internal shielding I mean some sort of flexible shielding material, wrapped around the amp (I’ve heard of a couple of types, but can’t think of their names right now).

It sounds like you just used a box: steel or aluminium?

So the whole thing was not difficult . .

theAnonymous1 said:
I was looking at the power BW graph in the datasheet and it made me wonder how other class-d amps such as Hypex UcD and Tripath compare in this regard. Do only switching amplifiers exhibit this type of power roll-off?

Stone-age class-D amplifiers rely on a dummy RC load to achieve output filter damping and stability with high negative feedback. As a result, they suffer from a shortage in high frequency power that depends on the size of the dummy resistor.

Particularly, ICEpower is a design full of compromises due to the size. The damper resistors employed are not very big.

However, there are a few newer designs, like self-oscillating ones (UcD and derivatives), that achieve output filter damping and low THD in other ways resulting in no power shortages at all.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.