Real opinions on Coldamp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th February 2008, 11:03 PM   #1
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Real opinions on Coldamp

Having being put off from using CAD Audio's amps+SMPS given the comments in this forum, I was looking for another source of high-power amps+SMPS and Coldamp looked good -- until I saw the recent thread about fake customer postings from "Pierre" who turned out to be a guy working for Coldamp.

So it's difficult now to be sure how many of the positive comments I've read about Coldamp have been from "real" people. Can people confirm that their products really do exist, do what they say, and have been able to get them shipped without problems -- in other words, do they deliver what they claim, and has anyone had any problems?

I don't want to send off several hundred Euros to Spain and see it disappear into a black hole, or get modules that don't work...

Ian

P.S. Need SPS80 + 4 BP4078 for lightweight active PA
Old 5th February 2008, 12:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, as a consumer you have to evaluate risks and revenue. I think that the web has generally strengthen our position. The only facts in this case is that there was this fake member Pierre.
No one have claimed having been cheated by Coldamp ( as a company) and as far as I know.

IMHO having cheated us with this false identity, the owner of Coldamp has brought a negative sentiment to his company.

Confidence and honesty is the way to build a long lasting trademark in our time?
Old 5th February 2008, 09:55 AM   #3
Bgt is offline Bgt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

My 2 poweramps, 4 modules, of Coldamp BP4078's are really fine amps. I am using classic PSU's(toroid etc.)
And the service is absolutely spot on.
Moneywise never had any problems.
Very happy with them as a custommer
Old 5th February 2008, 07:22 PM   #4
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
To all people asking: No, I didn't delete my post.
Old 5th February 2008, 11:59 PM   #5
iand is offline iand  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
To all people asking: No, I didn't delete my post.
Huh? (noise of man scratching head and looking puzzled)

Ian
Old 6th February 2008, 01:12 AM   #6
Eva is offline Eva  Spain
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Eva
One post was deleted because forum rules don't seem to allow me to publish my thoughts on whether someone is a good or bad person and a good or bad electronics designer. However, I was asked to write it back omitting personal judgements, so I'm trying again.

I recommend everybody to use the search engine of the forum to dig and read the good old posts from Pierre and also the ones from ssanmor, which were always the *same* person, the owner of Coldamp company. In these posts there is enough information for everybody to judge by themselves the quality of the person and of the electronics.

The posts also show quite clearly the way in which Coldamp owner learned class D and SMPS and the way in which the products were designed. I think that this is something any potential buyer should know.

The following thread contains references and links to important posts to understand the subject too:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...69#post1354569
Old 6th February 2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by iand

Huh? (noise of man scratching head and looking puzzled)

Ian
What Eva is alluding to is that her response to your direct question was promptly deleted.

The opinion is that obviously if you can't engineer anything on your own, without having to continually hound experts, for whom you claim to have a better product as one person-a, to do even the most basic of things, and then continue to hound them for every other possible question that you should be able to answer yourself, while under the false pretenses of being a simple hobbyist as persona-b, you're more of a con artist than anything.

Were he capable of engineering he would not have had to resort to such measures time and again. One wonders if the consulting section of his website is down given his temporary departure.

So will you get what's promissed? Does it take a good engineer to design a quality class d or power switching product? I think you really answered your own question. Eva's now deleted recommendation was to look up all the posting history of Pierre so you could see this for yourself.

However since con artists like Sergio "Dirty" Sanchez are a protected species here, the facts aren't allowed and so vulnerable users such as yourself are left to fend for themselves. Business is business you see.

Her reply was deleted, doing everyone but the con artist in question, who the powers that be consider a real stand up guy and an asset to the forum, a great disservice.

Moderators, please explain yourselves.
Old 6th February 2008, 01:23 PM   #8
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The post was deleted because it contained personal accusations against a forum member.
We are not protecting anyone in any way, we simply apply forum rules.
Eva has reposted pretty much the same info and I'm glad to see the personal accusations left out.
There's really nothing more to explain so let's move on.

I have made the post public in Texas:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...hreadid=116858

/Hugo
Old 6th February 2008, 05:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Eva
[snip]The posts also show quite clearly the way in which Coldamp owner learned class D and SMPS and the way in which the products were designed. I think that this is something any potential buyer should know.[snip]

Why is that, Eva? Should we first ask how YOU learned what you know before we decide to trust you? Or should we judge you on the merits of your accomplishments?

Jan Didden
Old 6th February 2008, 07:01 PM   #10
JohnW is offline JohnW  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hi Jan,

I believe what Eva was alluding to was the fact that Mr Sanchez was asking such basic Class D / SMPS design questions that this only served to highlight his lack of basic understand of the technology.

Reading back though the "Questions" posted as Pierre; same are at such a basic fundamental level that they should never have been asked by a competent designer already SELLING SMPS!

I fully support Eva on this subject, as a Class D / SMPS designer I can read between the lines of Eva's postings and see that she has a great deal of experience within the subject - which is why we are both mortified at the question ask by Mr Sanchez, with this in consideration it’s terrifying to consider that he was / is selling SMPS that are connected directly to the mains supply.

Ok, in laymen’s terms, it’s akin to a car designer producing a car then asking how the brake servo should work – would you be concerned??? – Maybe not if you don’t know what the brake servo was…

With the greatest respect,

JohnW

Hide this!Advertise here!