The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hi, we are building a boombox for the upcoming Roskilde Festival, it's our first time we've done it, and we have bought the following items

With the items you have bought or intend on buying, I really don't know why you're posting your question here. This thread is discussing my specific design, and possible alternatives. That it sometimes goes off topic is fine by me though.

Anyways, you should probably check out Festival anlæg guide, that's an ok guide on how to build a low-cost low-quality festival stereo (in Danish though).

This might be a retarded questions, but I really need to be sure what im doing.

The P.audio HP-10W are speakers? Fully functional speakers that play music and not only bass or diskant or something. So if we build a box with 2 x HP-10W and nothing else speakerwise, we got a box that can play music decent? :D

P.audio HP-10W - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

Im getting confused because this site list it under "bas" units :S

The HP10w is a bass/midrange driver capable of playing frequencies up to around 4-5000 hz.. You'll need a tweeter to play higher frequencies.. In the Boominator we use a piezo tweeter as they are easy to work with an don't require a fancy crossover or anything other than maybe a resistor in series..

If you just put the HP10w in a box without a tweeter you will get music, however it will be lacking a lot of sound in the upper register..

Another question has popped up.
I only had "hifi" speaker grills at home, not the PA ones.
So I intended to have the grills mounted on the outside of the box.
But after some testing I agree with Saturnus that grills mounted on the inside is much better looking. So I started drilling holes in the grill rims to mount them on the inside. So far so good.
But a problem that might occur is if the woofer cones move too much they might hit the grill. Do you know how much "clerarance" I need from the woofers to the grills to be 100% safe?

Hey everyone.

Got the rest of box together today, wired all the speakers and it works like a charm! And again, wow it plays load.

A thing I wondered is; do I charge the batteries while they are in parallel so they have the same charge on them both? will there be any damage if i do so? Im using 2 x 7,4 Ah 12V sla

Its fine to charge them while they are in parallel.. If you stack the batteries inside the boominator you should solder the wires to the poles and knock the poles down flat while using as short wires as possible..

Ok, but you understand my concern right?
Högtalargaller PA 10 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

You see the 2 different grill types there, if you zoom into the image. The PA grills are elevated while the hifi grills are more or less "flat".

Yeah but if you notice the pictures of the original, I also used the same "hi-fi" grills from ljudia they sent me instead of their PA grills as those were out of stock at the time. I understand your concern, and I had the same concern but I haven't experienced any problems, and it's my opinion that it's simply not possible. With the watt levels we're using here it's simply not possible for the driver to max out it's excursion, and even if it did, I still don't think it would actually be enough.

Fair enough. I started assembling yesterday (with glue) and will hopefully have everything up and running this week.

Any news on possibly getting the boominators together on the festival this year?

I've made a Facebook page for The Boominator.. It will be easier to share pictures there and arrange a meetup without hogging this thread :)

Saturnus - contact me on facebook to get admin rights on the page :)

The page: The Boominator | Facebook

Got a couple of questions with my build:

1. Got my HP10W today but I'm not sure if there should be a hole in the center brace matching up with the hole in the magnets, or should I just glue everything to a solid plywood?

2. How should the wires be attached to the drivers? There are just 2 small plates with a hole in each sticking out from each pole. What kind of wire should I get?

3. How is the resistor to the tweeter supposed to be series connected? Isn't the resistor just a small wire with the resistance in the middle? Do you solder the speaker wire and the resistor wire together? :S

Got a couple of questions with my build:

1. Got my HP10W today but I'm not sure if there should be a hole in the center brace matching up with the hole in the magnets, or should I just glue everything to a solid plywood?

2. How should the wires be attached to the drivers? There are just 2 small plates with a hole in each sticking out from each pole. What kind of wire should I get?
You need to solder wires to the speakers. There is a + and a - sign at each pole on the speaker, remember to solder the correct connection. Regarding wire, most copper wires would do just fine.

3. How is the resistor to the tweeter supposed to be series connected? Isn't the resistor just a small wire with the resistance in the middle? Do you solder the speaker wire and the resistor wire together? :S
You connect tweeters in parallel with the HP10W, but between one of the wires to the tweeter and the HP10W you solder the resistor on. So to answer your question, yes you solder the speaker wire to the resistor, and then to the tweeter

I have wrote to Saturnus in person, but maybe there are someone else than him that lives in Copenhagen. We would like to pay a guy a few hundred or maybe buy him some beers if anyone could use 30 minutes and help us with the wire job and such.

We are really lost about the resistor part and have no idea how we connect all the things.