The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I was wondering though.. How would a worn down battery affect the amp's output?

I have a regular used sla which measures right around 12v when fully charged but drops rather quickly..

It's dead. There's nothing to do but replace it I'm afraid. SLAs are less forgiving than regular lead acid batteries where you can just replace the battery acid, and get an almost new battery. The low voltage and quick drop off is a clear sign the gel inside have crystalized, and that's unfortunately an irreversible process.

It will naturally hugely affect output as output is determined by supply voltage but I'll bet your battery doesn't deliver enough amps for full volume either.

The sound is somewhat improved.. Especially the kick in the bass is far better now that the cabinet is more rigid and i dont have a removable lid.. I didnt think it would matter too much, but the difference is quite noticeable..

Could we make a Boominator facebook group or something so we can arrange a meetup at Roskilde this year? Could be fun :)

I keep telling people it really does matter that the box is made as intended so that especially bass output is not lost in cabinet vibrations where they're turned into heat for no appearent reason.

Yeah, good idea about a facebook group. I'll get on it.

It's dead. There's nothing to do but replace it I'm afraid. SLAs are less forgiving than regular lead acid batteries where you can just replace the battery acid, and get an almost new battery. The low voltage and quick drop off is a clear sign the gel inside have crystalized, and that's unfortunately an irreversible process.

It will naturally hugely affect output as output is determined by supply voltage but I'll bet your battery doesn't deliver enough amps for full volume either.

Thats what I thought.. I cant play at full volume with that battery as the sound quality is poor with the current battery.. I've ordered 2 new SLA's at 8Ah and might add a third at some point..

I was wondering something. You mounted the solar panels from the inside or on the top? Looks Like they are mounted into the Wood and not glued on the top. And how do you wire it to the batteries? Im not meaning the Series setup but where the cables are placed through the box.

I mounted the panels from the top.. However I routed a 4mm deep square and glued the panels in with a highly elastic sealant so its absorbs pressure and i put sealant around the panel and painted over it so its looks nice..

i just drilled a hole through the top of the box and fixed the wire on the inside and through to the center compartment..

Spent another day building today, this build really stacks up the hours : )
But then again Im an IT consultant not a woodcrafter so Im sure Im not very effective.

Saturnus: Could you verify this connection diagram:
Boominator "Orange feeling" - Sidan 2 - Gallerikommentarer - SweClockers.com

Its from the Swedish guy who made the orange feeling boominator, I would feel better if the picture was confirmed by you : )

Not that I have any tweeters to connect yet but still.

I can also confirm that the 7,2Ah batteries from Biltema in Sweden are a very annoying size to try and fit 3 of. 2 is fine but 3 is a real stretch to fit with the regulator, amp and some 12v connectors. you have to be very good at Tetris to make it all fit. Ill do my best and Ill fall back to 2 batteries if I cant make it work.

Also the 2mm width to spare was not enough for me, Im not sure where the error came into play but I have to push my batteries in, they wont slide down without effort. This mean I wont be able to get them out through the top lid unfortunately. So lesson learned for any other builders, make sure the batteries can easily slide down before drilling any holes for screws.

Spent another day building today, this build really stacks up the hours : )
But then again Im an IT consultant not a woodcrafter so Im sure Im not very effective.

Saturnus: Could you verify this connection diagram:
Boominator "Orange feeling" - Sidan 2 - Gallerikommentarer - SweClockers.com

Its from the Swedish guy who made the orange feeling boominator, I would feel better if the picture was confirmed by you : )

Not that I have any tweeters to connect yet but still.

I can also confirm that the 7,2Ah batteries from Biltema in Sweden are a very annoying size to try and fit 3 of. 2 is fine but 3 is a real stretch to fit with the regulator, amp and some 12v connectors. you have to be very good at Tetris to make it all fit. Ill do my best and Ill fall back to 2 batteries if I cant make it work.

Also the 2mm width to spare was not enough for me, Im not sure where the error came into play but I have to push my batteries in, they wont slide down without effort. This mean I wont be able to get them out through the top lid unfortunately. So lesson learned for any other builders, make sure the batteries can easily slide down before drilling any holes for screws.

Technically that diagram is correct. I would however advice to but both return wires from the woofers out to the amp in case you at some point decide to upgrade to an amp9b (or other higher power amp running on 24V) where you'll probably want to at least have option to connect the 4 speaker to each their own channel.

I'm not sure I ever mentioned there should be any spare space left for the battery width. They're meant to fit very snuggly in the case so they don't fall out on their own. Remember the batteries are originally meant to be inserted from the bottom and only held in place by friction and 4 smaller washers. It also means that they wont mess around inside and by accident come in contact with something they shouldn't.

Last edited:
Need to find suitable resistors in Sweden, the site you linked to takes 30:- for handling and 250:- for shipping.... 4 resistors, thats just insane : )

Yeah, it'd be a lot easier to take the train and pick them up next time you're in Copenhagen to buy beer.

https://www.elextra.dk/main.aspx?page=article&artno=H13216

Shop is near Nørreport.

Or just PM me your home address and I'll stuff them in an envelope for you and send them tomorrow. You'll just owe me more beer at Roskilde. :)

Last edited:
It's possible but not likely. And there's no T/S parameters so it's not possible to calculate any suitable cabinet for them.

Please note that they're actually not much cheaper than the HP-10Ws. And those are sublime quality for the price already. You shouldn't look at cheaper alternatives, they'll not be nearly as good.

Last edited:
Hey Saturnus and everyone else.

Me and my roskilde camp are about to begin the building of our own Boominator, but before start ordering the wrong stuff we got a few questions.

1. Best alternative to the Ebay Piezo speakers from ebay which now is sold out.?
2. You said your amplifiers Qbox was tuned to 88 herz, what does it mean and how can we do this (if its even important) we are planning to get the preassembled amp6 from 41. HZ

3. Should we glue the magnets together or should the box tighten them together if you know what i mean.

Best Regards Camp ManhooD

Im using panels from Electrozone.dk.. Its 8v and 5.2w but when serial connected they are perfect..

Those look nice. I have already got that big 92x31.5 cm panel but I'm actually thinking about ordering 2 of these and find good use for the other panel some other time. I should have taken Saturnus' word "don't rush anything".

Anyway - is there anything else between these solar panels? A fuse or diode or something?

Those look nice. I have already got that big 92x31.5 cm panel but I'm actually thinking about ordering 2 of these and find good use for the other panel some other time. I should have taken Saturnus' word "don't rush anything".

Anyway - is there anything else between these solar panels? A fuse or diode or something?

The panels are pretty nice although 4-5 watts lower than the large panel you bought.. However, they are small enough to fit 4 panels on top of the Boominator if thats your fancy :)

The build quality is very nice and they come without a frame and is only 3mm thin..

Nothing between the panels..