The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hello everyone,

We have located the HP10-Ws in india, they have them in stock for $20 per speaker. Downside is that we need to order a whole 'unit' (no idea how many that could be) and that shipment is with a courier, which means $700 freight.

Would anyone be interested in a group buy?

Depends on how long it would take for them to get here ;)

If it's soon, then I would probably be interested in 4 pieces.

And I'm guessing when from India, then it's not going to be so soon :D

I will try to find a small LED then! It should be 12V right?

Is the 30mA for one or both the LED's inside? And 12V*0,03A = 0.36W which is ~1/13 of the average consumption at max volume if my calculations are correct. which is almost 2hours of the total 22 hours playing time on a 7.2Ah battery, right? That's a lot I think.

Going to look for smaller LED's :)

Did you find any? :)

Arbitrage:
Here is how i did it. I sanded of the grooves inside the box and used only the two screw-holes in the back to fasten the card. As you can se it needed some kind of bricks and plastic washers to keep it in place.
post-27673-1275943323.jpg

Im going to use the Goldwood speaker and a Piezo horn. The horn is going down to 1.8 kHz and Im a bit worried by this. The Goldwood is spaced to 4000 Hz and and I fear that this will be problematic. So, if any, what do I need to think about? Maybe a HP filter for the tweeter? Or is it beater to get new tweeters and if so every suggestions is appreciated. I have looked up the models previously discussed but thy are both hard to find and specific for the HP-10W.

Amazon.com: Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer: Electronics

| SkyTec 900.207 |Piezo horn tweeter, (188x80x107mm) Speakers » Piezo Tweeters

Im going to use the Goldwood speaker and a Piezo horn. The horn is going down to 1.8 kHz and Im a bit worried by this. The Goldwood is spaced to 4000 Hz and and I fear that this will be problematic. So, if any, what do I need to think about? Maybe a HP filter for the tweeter? Or is it beater to get new tweeters and if so every suggestions is appreciated. I have looked up the models previously discussed but thy are both hard to find and specific for the HP-10W.

Amazon.com: Goldwood GW-1058 10" Pro Woofer: Electronics

| SkyTec 900.207 |Piezo horn tweeter, (188x80x107mm) Speakers » Piezo Tweeters

The Goldwood cuts at around 2.5KHz, and the "1800Hz" I will bet does about the same just the other way. There aren't that many different piezo designs so they'll almost all be the same. There can be massive build quality differences but that's about it.

The Goldwood cuts at around 2.5KHz, and the "1800Hz" I will bet does about the same just the other way. There aren't that many different piezo designs so they'll almost all be the same. There can be massive build quality differences but that's about it.

So which would you recommend for the Goldwood's?
Would using these:
| IMG Stage Line 110480 |MPT-005 Speakers » Piezo Tweeters
Be a horrible mistake since all tones from 2,5KHz - 4 KHz won't be played, and thereby find something different?

I have a few battery questions regarding the Boominator..

1. Can you play music while charging the batteries with solar cells?
2. Is it safe to smoke near the Boominator while it is charging?
3. Is a charge regulator needed for my batteries? I have 14Ah in total and 10W solar panels?

Thanks in advance

Saturnus, I've seen you recommend different values of resistors to different piezos. I was wondering if there's any way you calculate this with an equation?

Afaik, piezos are different (with different capacitance values) and a crossover with a resistor is unique to each piezo. Therefore the capacitance should be measured.

I've been looking for online calculators but have not found anyone for piezos in particular. That's why I'm asking here now

I have a few battery questions regarding the Boominator..

1. Can you play music while charging the batteries with solar cells?
2. Is it safe to smoke near the Boominator while it is charging?
3. Is a charge regulator needed for my batteries? I have 14Ah in total and 10W solar panels?

Thanks in advance

1. Absolutely, with a 10w panel and no clouds you'll be charging the batteries fine even at full volume!
2. No problems!
3. Nope its not necessary.

Saturnus, I've seen you recommend different values of resistors to different piezos. I was wondering if there's any way you calculate this with an equation?

Afaik, piezos are different (with different capacitance values) and a crossover with a resistor is unique to each piezo. Therefore the capacitance should be measured.

I've been looking for online calculators but have not found anyone for piezos in particular. That's why I'm asking here now

Its hard to mathematically calculate what sounds best to your ear ;)

Resistors cost less to nothing, so its no problem trying different resistances.. Trying different values and listening to the results is better than trying to calculate :)

Its hard to mathematically calculate what sounds best to your ear ;)

Resistors cost less to nothing, so its no problem trying different resistances.. Trying different values and listening to the results is better than trying to calculate :)

Of course this is what you could do. But I'm looking for an easier solution than trying out 10 different values. That's a lot of work compared to just putting some numbers in a calculator and then getting the right answer.

But I guess you're right - sound is hard to calculate precisely.