The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Bottom of page 265 and top of page 380. I believe that Saturnus was the one who posted the pic of the filter I posted above. If you find something different please let me know.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-265.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-380.html

I did get my boominator working much much better this weekend. Its moving much more air through the ports and there is no distortion at one notch below full volume from my an iphone/android cell phone. Still not as much bass as I think it should have. I'm going to swap the power cables from the amps and continue my trouble shooting.

On a side note I am also incorporating a sure hifi bluetooth 4.0 board and found the range to absolutely terrible. It cut signal around 10-15 feet. I will be cutting the stock antenna and adding a 30cm piece of copper to extend the range.

It's the filter I designed. I have since redrawn it.

Note that the 4 ohm resistor can exchanged or varied between 2 and 4 ohm depending on taste. Changing the resistor value between these values doesn't really attenuate the tweeter response as a whole as the lower total impedance at the same time also sets the cut-off higher resulting in pretty much the same overall response. It does however change the amount and shape of the very highest frequency boost which is there to compensate for loss at off-axis response at those frequencies. Also, people who generally prefer electronic music also tends to prefer that. Try it with 4 ohm and 2 ohm and see which you prefer. Or for example 3.3 ohm if you like. I prefer the 4 ohm as it gives the most natural sound with a distinct acoustic feel.

Attachments

• HP10W PHT407N filter.jpg
    HP10W PHT407N filter.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 850
On a side note I am also incorporating a sure hifi bluetooth 4.0 board and found the range to absolutely terrible. It cut signal around 10-15 feet. I will be cutting the stock antenna and adding a 30cm piece of copper to extend the range.

Most common cause for reduced range is proximity to any metal objects. At least 12mm (½") distance is advised but I'd go for at least twice that. Metal objects include batteries, amp case, and so on.

Thanks Saturnus,

The bluetooth receiver was sitting on top of the boominator and not in the electronics compartment, so it was at least 4-5 inches from any metal. I've read about others adding the 30cm piece of copper to get greatly increased range, which would work perfect for me as the standard range of 10m would be cutting it close in some settings.

Additionally, does the filter still work properly with the way I have it wired? Which is 2 x hp10w wired parallel to one channel and 2 x pht-407n tweeters wired in parellel to one channel.

Additionally, does the filter still work properly with the way I have it wired? Which is 2 x hp10w wired parallel to one channel and 2 x pht-407n tweeters wired in parellel to one channel.

The filter I have designed works best on a single channel. It is optimized for how the two filter parts affect eachother. Although you'd normally think that bi-amping is a bonus I don't think it's a good idea in this case unless you have an active filter, like a miniDSP, instead. Maybe save one of you amp6s for a future project (or keep as a spare)?

Last edited:
I used the updated filter and wired it to one amp6 and now it has plenty of bass. So I think I found my problem. Sounds great. Just not as loud as it was with the two amp6's. I actually just sealed up the speaker compartments hoping to finish the box soon.

Would I be able to incorporate a mini dsp in the future and use both amps with the current filter components in place?

The trade off for using the optimized passive filter I'm afraid. It attenuates the response from basically low midrange and up so that it sounds balanced but with the drawback that it is obviously less sensitive. It's not more than a couple of dB overall though.

I suppose I could revisit it and make a new passive for bi-amp'ing but people that do bi-amp'ing also tend to use a miniDSP, so I'm not sure I can be bothered. Optimizing a passive filter is a long and tedious process of calculating, measuring, listening, tweaking and doing the whole thing over again several times until you nailed it.

The lack of volume can naturally be helped by using a more powerful amplifier. For example a TK2050 on 24V (which is the most common) or a TPA3116 on 18-19V (3x 6V SLAs in series or 6x LiFePO4 is series). Or the cAMP when that is finally ready for sale (which looks to be late winter/early spring now).

At aterren says above. You either use active or passive filters, not both, except in those special cases where you add a big series cap to the tweeter for DC protection, for example with extremely sensitive or fragile drivers.

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste your time calculating the specs for passive filter on a bi amp project. You have provided more than enough help.

I think I might try a slightly more powerful amp. I built the electronics compartment about 3 inches larger to fit larger SLA batteries and I currently have it fitted with two 12v 15ah SLAs. I could always wire them in parallel to output 24v. With 41hz.com down are there any other places with a decent tk2050? I think a lot of others on the forum use the hifimediy amps. I might try it with the hifimediy T2.

Bottom of page 265 and top of page 380. I believe that Saturnus was the one who posted the pic of the filter I posted above. If you find something different please let me know.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-265.html

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clas...-another-stab-ultimate-party-machine-380.html

I did get my boominator working much much better this weekend. Its moving much more air through the ports and there is no distortion at one notch below full volume from my an iphone/android cell phone. Still not as much bass as I think it should have. I'm going to swap the power cables from the amps and continue my trouble shooting.

I'd be inclined to double check speaker phasing and polarity, it's easy to get this wrong.....
BJ

I did get my boominator working much much better this weekend. Its moving much more air through the ports and there is no distortion at one notch below full volume from my an iphone/android cell phone.

I find it is best to keep my iPhone below ~80% volume on the headphone jack. The sound quality gets a lot worse.

Regarding the bass, where are you listening? My experience with the NS6 mini is you need to be outside, have the boominator on the ground, and be 15 feet or more away from the Boominator before judging sound quality.

Hi guys
I didn't have time to build my boominator for the last festivalseason so im planning on starting early for next years season!

It would be nice to get some feedback on the components bellow!

P.audio HP-10W - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

4x p.audio hp10w

Monacor MPT-001 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

4x monaco mpt 001

2x 12v 7.2ah SLA battery

I got some thoughts on the amp, one or two maxamp20?
What is the output peakdb and the battery time diffrent with one or two maxamp20 powered by 14.4 ah 12v?
Pros and cons...

At one festival i've planned to visit it is okey to bring "carbatteries"(rv-batteries). Im thinking about doing two in serialwirering to get 24v 72 ah for a 24v-amp is there any amp out there to fit the boominator decent? (Tk2050?)

Bluetooth to 3.5mm device? Is there one that is recommended?

What else do i need? Filters or/and resistors?

Elm

You'll need one Maxamp from Accusafe, they sell a 12v BT module too.
Peak output will be around 113-115db IIRC, sustainable for 30 hours at least with 2x 7.2ah battery in parallel.
Filter needed is a 47ohm metal- or carbonfilm resistor in serie with every tweeter.
24V will give you 6db more output at max volume, it will also give you 4 times the power consumption. TK2050 or AMP9 will be suitable 24v amps.

I have an Ion Tailgater that I bought for football games and outdoor listening last year. I was pretty rough on the battery charging of it and needed to get a replacement. While I was inside the box, I thought how can I upgrade this thing to be louder and have more bass? And voila, I found this thread.

I've spent the past week reading and re-reading the Boominator MINI thread over on speakerplans. I'm pretty excited and all my components are showing up tomorrow.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions and appreciate all the infomation already posted. Thanks everyone! And thanks Saturnus for freely giving out your awesome idea.

For the SP60 Mini / Micro boominator: should the tweeter be mounted flush with the outer layer of plywood? Or is it okay if I recess it 6mm (So that it is flush with the inner layer of 6mm plywood)?

I presume that flush with the outside would give better performance. If I mount it flush with the inner however, it's easier to protect the tweeter with a grill without anything sticking out.