The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I'm just starting out on my endeavor of creating a boominator, and I'm feeling pretty confident I've got most things down. Couple questions though I hope someone can help me with.

1) I can't seem to get my hands on either the P.Audio HP10-W speakers or the Goldwood 10" some people are recommending. I can however get these Celestion BL10-100X speakers that seem to have some pretty similar specs. What would you say about them?

2) For wiring, should I go with a series/parallel setup? A friend has recommended putting an 18Ohm resistance on the + cable before I get to the piezo tweeters, so I drew up this
YUnXfF6.jpg

diagram, which I admit is not pretty, but I just want to make sure I've understood how to wire my speakers.

The tweeters I'm thinking of getting are these Motorola Piezo's.

What's it look like to the more experienced users out there?

1) The p.audio HP10W or Goldwood GW1058 drivers are not recommended. They are required unless you go into the lightweight PRO build with Eminence Basslite S2010 or the SIG version with p.audio SM10MB II. You cannot use the Celestion drivers as a replacement.

2) Wiring is fine except the resistors should be 47 ohm, not 18 ohm. Remember to use metal film or carbon composite resistors. Do not use wire-wound or carbon film resistors.

The piezos you're linking to are not Motorola originals. They are (very expensive) replicas and probably not very good compared to the recommended replicas.

The mini dsp is a signal processor that can serve as a configurable crossover. It take line level input and provides high and low frequency outputs to a 4 channel amp. Each amp channel drives 2 speakers (left tweet, right tweet, left bass, right bass). Doing this in the digital domain provides more flexibility in tuning (time alignment, steeper crossovers, etc) at greater expense and complexity. A dsp is required for the Signature version and I believe the Basslite and Goldwood versions too.

Hopefully others will chime in and correct any mistakes I have made in this description. I'm still learning too!

I am having some trouble with my boominator build. I'm getting distortion around 80% volume and I also do not have very much bass. There is air pumping from the port, but i expected much more.

Build is hp10w and pht-407n with a passive filter. I am running two amp6 b's.

I have tested it with my helder mkiii amp from my mini boominator and get the same results. I tried it on both channels it was the same as my amp 6b's. Ive tried using different cables and different sources. Iphone, android, and mac computer. The mkiii has played great in my mini, which currently produces more bass than my boominator and the mini was made with the aura 5.25's.

I have attached a pic of the wiring, but it very hard to see, so I'm also going to attach a little microsoft paint sketchup of how it is wired. The extra wires coming out from above the woofers are for LED light that i wired to go around the trim of the woofer on the exterior of the box.

Please let me know if you have any other ideas for my trouble shoot with. I double checked the connections on the woofers and they are clearly labeled positive and negative. Im going to test them with a AA battery and make sure both woofers move in the same direction. On a bright note the tweeters sound very good, but still not as loud as i thought they would be.

Attachments

• Boominator Wiring.jpg
    Boominator Wiring.jpg
    771.1 KB · Views: 591
  • filter.png
    filter.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 532
  • boominator lights.jpg
    boominator lights.jpg
    729.8 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
I'm assuming you have tried it with the lid on or you wouldn't have any air pumping out the ports. You have tried it outdoors?

There will not be a lot of bass indoors (actually there's way too much but that another point, it will sound like there is no bass). Basically you should get a lot of bass at very low volume but that will disappear as you turn the music up.

What you can do is to stuff the ports very firmly with for example a towel when you're playing indoors. It will not be quite the same as outdoor but almost.

On the topic of loudness. That can be very tough to judge by yourself because the sound remains distortion free even at very loud levels. Try speaking to someone else, or yourself, in a normal voice while listening. That will be a good indicator on how loud it really is.

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have tried it with the lid on or you wouldn't have any air pumping out the ports. You have tried it outdoors?

There will not be a lot of bass indoors (actually there's way too much but that another point, it will sound like there is no bass). Basically you should get a lot of bass at very low volume but that will disappear as you turn the music up.

What you can do is to stuff the ports very firmly with for example a towel when you're playing indoors. It will not be quite the same as outdoor but almost.

I did this with the lids clamped down, but to be honest I only tried it with my MKIII helder amp indoors. I did try it with the lids clamped down and my amp6 b's outdoors and it had hardly any bass at a low volume or at any volume. I will try one side with my MKIII amp outdoors to see if I possibly have an amp problem. Thanks Saturnus.

You'll pin down the problem eventually I'm sure. Test one thing at a time. If necessary test each woofer separately too. The build looks good though so you got one kick **** system once you've found and fixed the problem.

There's a lot of things that could be wrong but in my experience the most common issues are with cables, the power supply, the amplifier, and the signal source. Cables, especially mini jack cables are notoriously bad. Always have spares so you can throw out those that become faulty. Batteries low on charge or using too thin power cables are also common causes. The mini jack sockets on amp and signal source are also weak points.

I'm running two amp6 basics, so I am not running the filter you posted above. This was the filter that I found in the thread. Hopefully it is correct. I believe it is the same filter used when running a 4 channel amp with a passive crossover. I just use two amp6 amps since I had them laying around.

Attachments

• Boomfilter.JPG
    Boomfilter.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 418