The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Noted thanks Saturnus,

Already ordered :) i just can't wait, i am soooooo exited to start building this beauty. I am going down to France some time in february to ski. I will pass by some friends in Germany who have a small snowboard and skateboard factory. I will build it there:) , they have all the tools, epoxy, paint and other stuff i need. Besides that its a great place with great people, and they have 30 years of fine wood working experience. see Pogo Snowboards + Longboards - quality and performance, handcrafted in germany since 1983 | Alpinboards, Powderboards, Raceboards, Carvingboards, Snowkiteboards
goo

Last edited:
Btw, I know quite a few people that take a Boominator or halfinator on skiing trips, and the general advice is to have a serious look at lifepo4 batteries as they can tolerate down to -60 degrees celcius and operate normally down to -20 degrees celcius without reduced capacity. A vast improvement over lead acid batteries.

Another advice is that as snow can get in through the ports when it's taken indoors again it can leave a puddle of water inside which may not have time to evaporate before it's taken outside again where it will freeze, so it can build up over a few days. Install a t-nut and bolt in 2 of the corners of the speaker compartments so you can drain out water by removing the bolts (running the speakers at the same time will drain it in seconds as the air pressure inside the cabinet will force the water out). The draining holes and t-nuts can double as holders for standard rubber feet under the speaker.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks Saturnus

I will probably not use it to much in the cold but good to know, i will investigate a little around lifepo4 battery packs and BMS. There is a special battery supplier here in Norway that customize all kinds of battery packs. see Custom batteripakke, velg spenning og spesifiser!

The MiniAMP looks like a great option, but unfortunately it lacks power. Max power is 4X10W at 4 ohms, but that's at 24VDC. They don't state the power at ~12VDC.

Thanks for your input WesleyK,

I think i will goo for 2 Maxamps , and i will put the miniDSP and Maxamps in the electronics department so i can change them later if something better comes along...

goo

Pretty expensive for those in Norway but I have no idea what import costs might be.

12V 9Ah LiFePo4 batteri T2 151x100x65 mm

That is similar to this

free EMS shipping 1pcs/lot Energy Saving 9Ah 12V LiFePo4 Battery Pack For Solar Power Street Lamps-in Battery Packs from Electrical Equipment & Supplies on Aliexpress.com

Or my personal favorite which is this beautiful battery but since it's made in the USA I don't know if they'll ship it to Norway.

Lithium 12v LiFePO4 SLA Replacement

On ebay you can find the above with charger included for USD129

Search terms: 12V 10Ah bamboo lifepo4 charger

Last edited:
The price for 12V 10Ah bamboo lifepo4 charger is actually not to bad, but shipping and taxes will add up.

I just sent Clean Republic a request for shipping cost to Norway, will see how it goes.

Anyone know if its advisable to use a solar charge regulator to charge LiFePO4 batteries, along with a PC power supply or solar panels?

This might be an option if i decide to also add solar panels for charging.

Edit: I see the battery shop in Norway says i can use a regular lead acid charger, so a solar charge regulator should also work ok.

goo

Last edited:
A PCM stands for Protection Circuit Module. Yep, you'll need one. It protects the cells against deep discharge, overcharge and overcurrent/shortcircuits. You'll find these kinds of protections boards usually packed togehter with the cells within the heatshrink. What you usually also need is a BMS(battery management system) which charges the battery and cuts off the load at the right time.
That's why the Bamboo LiFePO4 looks like good value for money, it has everything integrated (with a separate charger) and is not that expensive. 10Ah is plenty by the way, enough for a full day, and with solar panels and some sunlight, probably forever.

Last edited:
A PCM stands for Protection Circuit Module. Yep, you'll need one. It protects the cells against deep discharge, overcharge and overcurrent/shortcircuits. You'll find these kinds of protections boards usually packed togehter with the cells within the heatshrink. What you usually also need is a BMS(battery management system) which charges the battery and cuts off the load at the right time.
That's why the Bamboo LiFePO4 looks like good value for money, it has everything integrated (with a separate charger) and is not that expensive. 10Ah is plenty by the way, enough for a full day, and with solar panels and some sunlight, probably forever.

It needs to last for a whole week. Last year we hade a halfinator with 2x 7,2Ah SLA batterys with a 20w solar panel. I did last the whole week but it was on the edge..