The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 99 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2011, 03:58 PM   #981
rubennn is offline rubennn  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Haha awesome idea! Do you have an estimate of how many boominators there are built so far (how many of these could we expect to Roskilde Festival)? Either way, we should be able to find a solution to the connecting problem. Could also be cool to make a boominator wall/tower of some sort. I saw ThokN do it in a park in copenhagen with 2 other boominators.

Anyway... I was actually in Silvan today to ask for elasticity plastic sealant and the guy who helped me recommended this (I took a pic when I came home): Click the image to open in full size.

Also went for this:
Click the image to open in full size.

Most concerned about the sealant. Is this gonna work on top of the boominator? Cause if not I'm gonna return it. Cost me 105 DKK a tube
Old 31st March 2011, 04:58 PM   #982
diyAudio Member

Exactly what I use I just couldn't remember the product number. It's Bostik 2640 and the needed primer is Bostik 5075.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:18 PM   #983
diyAudio Member

Primer is needed also?
Old 31st March 2011, 05:24 PM   #984
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
Primer is needed also?
Yes. I already posted that above, and try reading on the package. If used on untreated wood, you must use primer.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:34 PM   #985
diyAudio Member

I guess I oversaw it. Sorry. But yes - I read on the package now that a primer must be added also. Have to buy that tomorrow I guess. If you should estimate how much would be used - would it be more than 1 tube of each for each boominator?
Old 31st March 2011, 05:38 PM   #986
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubennn View Post
I guess I oversaw it. Sorry. But yes - I read on the package now that a primer must be added also. Have to buy that tomorrow I guess. If you should estimate how much would be used - would it be more than 1 tube of each for each boominator?
No. One should be enough, also for inside sealing and piezo dampening.
Old 1st April 2011, 10:24 AM   #987
kblnig is offline kblnig  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post

Maybe we could ask Roskilde for permission (actually don't need it really but it's always good to ask first) to hog one of the agoras for a Boominator party. And place all the Boominators we can around the outside of the agora. It could become epicly loud in there.
wont that cause some troubles with phase shifts and so on when the boominators are not sharing one common amp? (i like the idea a lot )
Old 2nd April 2011, 02:47 PM   #988
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You need 2 solar panels. You just connect one solar panel to each battery. That's it. For amp switching you need a 4 pole, 2 or 3 position switch and this wiring.

1234 = Connect 1 to 3, and 2 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1: Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 1- / 3:Bat 2+ / 4:Bat 2-
1234 = Connect 2 to 3 for 24V ... connect amp9b from 1 and 4
Thank you Saturnus. That is exactly what I was looking for. And I will take your advice and buy 2 solar panels. This will be so great
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:13 PM   #989
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThokN View Post
Thank you Saturnus. That is exactly what I was looking for. And I will take your advice and buy 2 solar panels. This will be so great
Actually rethinking it it will probably be even better to connect like this:

1234 = Connect 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1:Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 2+ / 3:Bat 1- / 4:Bat 2-

If you chose a 3 position switch then the center position will be both amps off.

Not sure how you'll realize the speaker output switching though, if at all.
Old 2nd April 2011, 03:29 PM   #990
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Actually rethinking it it will probably be even better to connect like this:

1234 = Connect 1 to 2, and 3 to 4 for 12V ... connect amp6b from 1 and 4
1234 = 1:Bat 1+ / 2:Bat 2+ / 3:Bat 1- / 4:Bat 2-

If you chose a 3 position switch then the center position will be both amps off.

Not sure how you'll realize the speaker output switching though, if at all.
We will have some 'bÝsninger' into each speaker compartment, so that we can shift between the two amp-outputs. We have also made the center compartment as a sort of tray that you pull out from the side of the Boominator. In this tray there will be both batteries, amps, volume knob and powerswitch etc. So the whole middle compartment can be taken out as a tray.

If we imagine that both speaker out from Amp6 and Amp9 was going into the same shared cables for the speakers, will that burn the non-operating amp or something? Or will it be okay to do? Because that would be even simpler.

I've decided to go with a 4-pole 2-way switch, and a seprate 2-pole single-way switch for the power. The power switch will be placed before the amp-switch. The reason for this is that it would otherwise not be possible to have the solar-cell connected at all times. If we used a single 4-pole 3-way switch, then the solar-cell would only be connected when the switch is set to Amp6(12V)-mode. This would also mean that we would get the benefit of the sun whenever the boominator is turned off (middle-position of the switch).

Last edited by ThokN; 2nd April 2011 at 03:33 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!