The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

I have the standard AMP6Basic powering a boombox. It has a 7.2aH 12V batteri. I would like to charge the batteri while still playing. Worry free.

After much research it seems like a quite complicated task. Until i thought about the solar panel charge controllers. Like this cheap one for instance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solar-Panel-Char...item5199daf3e3

From what I understand it provides the following functions, all of which I would love to have on my boombox:

Over-load protection
Short circuit protection
Protection from the lightning strike
Under-voltage protection
Over-charging protection

Isn't it possible to connect a simple power supply instead of a solar panel? I was thinking around 15V and 1aH. Is there any problem in this configuration?

/PalleRaa

Would someone plase clarify the playing capacity of the boominator with the following configuration:
Amp6-BASIC
P.Audio HP10W?

Saturnus has written that it has a max SPL of 112-115 dB, how is this possible? He has also stated that the boominator can play at 96 dB/W/10m.

As far as I know, the woofers have a sensitivity of 96 dB. For each 3 dB you need to increase the power twice as much. I know that there are some other things in the design that slightly increases the volume, but could someone point these out and also tell me how much it would contribute to the overall volume increase?

Thanks a lot!

PS. My boominator is 95% finished =)

Would someone plase clarify the playing capacity of the boominator with the following configuration:
Amp6-BASIC
P.Audio HP10W?

Saturnus has written that it has a max SPL of 112-115 dB, how is this possible? He has also stated that the boominator can play at 96 dB/W/10m.

As far as I know, the woofers have a sensitivity of 96 dB. For each 3 dB you need to increase the power twice as much. I know that there are some other things in the design that slightly increases the volume, but could someone point these out and also tell me how much it would contribute to the overall volume increase?

Thanks a lot!

PS. My boominator is 95% finished =)

The woofers give us 96 dB with one watt of power. At 25W of power it's 96 + 10 * log(25) = ~110dB peak AFAIK. Does that answer part of your question? :)

Ah I see what he means now. But this is at 1 m, how can it still be 96 dB at 10 metres?
And is it true that you can run the boominator with a 7,2Ah battery for about 20 hours?

A: Don't know how that would work ... Maybe it does work like that but I wouldn't know the theory.

B: Sounds about right. At 5Wh average power use at 12V, the consumption is about 0.4Ah. 7.2 / 0.4 = over 17 hours - and that's at full tilt. And the thing is loud.

Hi, first post on this forum.

You have got to admire this forum/thread, so much people with so much great knowledge and a lot of these people are so helpful its almost strange :p

After reading the entire thread I was thinking about building a boominator of my own. I have built some boomboxes before and have som parts already.
Will this Class-D amplifier based on the TK2050 work well in the boominator setup? How is it compare to the 41hz AMP6-b and AMP9-b? I have no problems running with 24v and I dont need to run my boominator for more than ~5 hours.

So to make it easy.

1. Will 2*100 Watt Class-D Audio Amplifier Board - TK2050 be enough to power the Boominator? If yes?
  2. Will it be enough on 12 volt?
  3. Will it be enough on 24 volt and will it be a noticable difference?
  4. How does i compare to AMP6-b?
  5. How does it compare to AMP9-b?
Thanks in advance for any help you will provide

Hi, first post on this forum.

You have got to admire this forum/thread, so much people with so much great knowledge and a lot of these people are so helpful its almost strange :p

After reading the entire thread I was thinking about building a boominator of my own. I have built some boomboxes before and have som parts already.
Will this Class-D amplifier based on the TK2050 work well in the boominator setup? How is it compare to the 41hz AMP6-b and AMP9-b? I have no problems running with 24v and I dont need to run my boominator for more than ~5 hours.

So to make it easy.

1. Will 2*100 Watt Class-D Audio Amplifier Board - TK2050 be enough to power the Boominator? If yes?
Thanks in advance for any help you will provide

Hi and welcome,
Since you buy this from new why buy this and not the amp6basic?

donnib

1. Yes. Single-rail Tripaths all work basically the same at the same voltage. There are some differences in sound character, and power consumption.
  2. Same.
  3. Same or similar; Should sound better - higher voltage means lower distortion at power, depending how you look at it. Will waste more power in regulators.
  4. The implementation, board design, and parts used affect the sound. AFAIK the Sure amps aren't top-drawer designs or builds. However, in a good implementation, the TK2050 chipset sounds noticeably better than the Amp6 chipset. It should be fine.
  5. Same as above. I haven't heard an Amp9-type amp, but AFAIK it's supposed to be a bit rougher - in both a good way and a bad way. Probably subtle but noticeable.

It's going to work. I promise. Build it :) ... AS LONG AS 12V is above the minimum usable voltage.

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:
I have made a portable speaker with the TA2024, now I want to make one with 24V. What do you guys recommend, the 4x 100W TK2050 or the AMP9? My speaker will have one sub and two full range drivers.

The Amp9 is probably more reliable. (I read somewhere that the Sure amp gets a bit hot, so wasting power and lowering reliability. You might want to check that out.)

So to sum up: If you already have a Sure TK2050, then at least try it, but otherwise I'd stay with the rugged and proven Amp9.

What I would personally like to build and use is the 41Hz Amp4 with the output relays removed, upgraded STA517B output stage, and a 41Hz PS4 10V regulator swapped in. Two of those. However, Amp4 not available ready-made. Surface-mount is a lot of fun to build when you use the proper technique though. And note that it's untested in this config, so it might be bad for boombox use, I don't know. And this is of course a modified amp, which adds unknown factors to the project.

In the interest of getting things done, get the Amp9 :)

Last edited:
@kristleifur, I still need to buy the amplifier, but Im on a budget, is there a big difference between the (sure) tk2050 and the amp9-basic?

I have had neither amplifier, so I can't really say. All I can do is hope to offer some hints or indications.

There is a thread about the Sure TK2050 on this forum, and I have used 41Hz Amp4 and Amp11, which are very similar. There were some surprising things in the Sure thread, such as the amp getting hot and needing active cooling. Conversely, I have run an Amp11 for long periods without any heatsink at all. To me, the Sure amp getting hot simply indicates a faulty design. It works, it turns on, it sounds great, but it's a risk IMO.

Then, judging from subjective descriptions of the sound of the different 41Hz amps, the Amp9 sounds 'rougher' or 'burlier' than the TK2050 chipset. I haven't heard the Amp9, but I generally agree with those posters' descriptions of the amps that I have heard ... so for myself, I'm going to assume that the Amp9 would sound like that to me too :)

I'd read up on the Sure TK2050 in the thread, looking for info on reliability and power drain. If it speaks to you after that, there's a chance that it actually sounds better than the Amp9 - in fact, if properly implemented, it should.

Note that I would consider Arjen Helder's and the Hifimediy TK2050 implementations to be better candidates than the Sure amp. Less stories of obvious flaws (or at least obvious flaws to me, having used a known-good implementation.)

Edit: As you're on a budget, that kind of leaves the Arjen Helder and Hifimediy amps out. In that case, I'd take the Amp9 - I'm fairly sure it's more reliable. Less time and money spent on replacements.

Last edited: