The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Saturnus, if I was to run 2 HP10's and 2 piezo's off an Amp9 basic powered by two 60Ah 12 volt car battery's, how long would you guesstimate that they lasted?

According to Saturnus post on roskilde forum:
EDIT: THIS IS FOR THE AMP6

The impedance dictates how many watts you get out since (and I write this for the hundredth time in the thread) the laws of physics dictate that:

max peak output power per channel = supply voltage squared / impedance doubled * efficiency

For amp6 efficiency in 8 ohms is 88% and in 4 ohms it's 82%

max average power consumption with music signals = 2 * (supply voltage squared / impedance doubled * efficiency * 12.5% ) + idle consumption

Idle consumption for the amp6 is 60mA

With 4 ohms speakers and a nominally 12V battery the max average power consumption is therefore 4,4 watts.

To figure out how long your battery lasts take the battery amp hours * voltage / power = hours

A solar panel must not be larger than 1/8th of the total battery capacity (Ah * V).

At mid-summer in Denmark the usable solar charging hours is roughly 8 hours daily.

60*12/4,4=163,63 hours (more or less (sidenote: if car battery = 109,08 hours))

EDIT: Excuse my terrible reading capabilities :p This is for the AMP6 and NOT the AMP9. Sorry.

Last edited:
He's asking about the Amp 9Basic.. Ill just paste Saturnus' answer from the last time someone asked the exact same question :)

I'm thinking.. You would have 21Ah with the 3 batteries recommended.. With my batteries, I would have 60Ah, 3 times more, but i would use 4,5 times more.. Do you think it would last the whole Roskilde Festival?

/Thranemeister

Sorry. That was inaccurate of me. The 4.5 times was per channel. The amp9b has 4 channels and not 2 so it's actually almost 9 times as much when playing maximum volume.

However, the idle current is also much higher so it uses a lot more power than the amp6b. Let's compare:

amp6b idle: 60mA @ 12V = 0.72W
amp6b max: 350mA @12V = 4.2W (loaded with 4 Ohms drivers, 2.5W with 8 Ohms)

amp9b idle: 220mA @ 24V = 5.3W
amp9b max: 1470mA @ 24V = 35.3W (loaded with 4 Ohms drivers, 20.3W with 8 Ohms)

I'm not saying the amp9b is not a great, if not fantastic amp, but you should know it's drawbacks in that it has a much more normal power consumption compared to the amp6b which uses a miniscule amount. The amp9b uses more power in idle on 24V than an amp6b uses at full volume on 12V.

So no, I don't think your pair of 60Ah batteries will last an entire festival with an amp9b without being recharged or supplemented by solar cells.

Sorry guys - should have known that someone had asked that question already. My mistake!

the bummer is: I originally planned to build a stereo around the Amp9b with car batteries and ordered an AMP9b, but now, due to space constraints and other things I have to take into account I will need to do an almost carbon copy of the boominator, which means I cannot use an AMP9b.

I have the AMP9b at home, simply pulled it out of it's wrappers just now. If anyone want to exchange this for a working Amp6b + some cash, I would be eternally grateful.

I actually have an old Amp6b, but I have somehow managed to render it useless. I can power it okay, but there is no output from it.. Which annoys me to no end since I could just use that.

Can anyone tell me how I might repair it?

Okay, Saturnus, you're not gonna like this.

I'm finding it very hard to making a design for the half boominator when I need to place solar cells, batteries, amp, buttons for switching on/off on different things, 12v socket, led lights and still keeping it a nice looking boombox.

I'm thinking about making it the normal way with the 2 HP-10W mounted in the same baffle. Is this absolutely reprehensible?

I know you strongly recommend making this the bipolar way, but is there a way to make it as I described without loosing majority of good things about the stereo?

I know that the boominator will then be more vulnerable but I'll have to solve that a different way.

The main reason I ask this, is because there seems to be too little space when making this half version.

Meh :-|

Okay, Saturnus, you're not gonna like this.

I'm finding it very hard to making a design for the half boominator when I need to place solar cells, batteries, amp, buttons for switching on/off on different things, 12v socket, led lights and still keeping it a nice looking boombox.

I'm thinking about making it the normal way with the 2 HP-10W mounted in the same baffle. Is this absolutely reprehensible?

I know you strongly recommend making this the bipolar way, but is there a way to make it as I described without loosing majority of good things about the stereo?

I know that the boominator will then be more vulnerable but I'll have to solve that a different way.

The main reason I ask this, is because there seems to be too little space when making this half version.

Meh :-|

Hmm, I was wondering.. Maybe you should do it like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Then glue 2 panels, like the ones i used, to a sort of kickstand with a hinge at top to angle it against the sun and a lock at the bottom so it doesnt swing loose at night.. That way its easy for you to have all the things yuu wanted in the lid to the electronics compartment :)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but I just recieved the Lepai TA2020(+?) 2011 version amp, and the first thing I did was to open the box and have a look inside - where I realised that several pins were missing solderings?!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Should I just solder them myself?

I bought one of those Lepai 2011 TA2020A+ amplifiers as well, out of curiosity.

And it sure does look like I need to resolder some of the pins.

Attachments

• Lepai2011.jpg
    Lepai2011.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 395
Hi.
I'm relatively new to all this. So therefore i have a question i want to ask. I plan on buying one of these 2011 New Version Lepai Class T Tripath TA2020 Amp 20WX2 - eBay (item 290534649380 end time May-15-11 14:30:04 PDT) and connect with two of these which i already have http://6x9carspeakers.org/blaupunkt-gtx-693-6-inch-x-9-inch-3-way-triaxial-speakers/. But since those speakers aren't very good i plan on buying two of these HIFI KIT ELECTRONIC AB - Högtalarelement HiFi Hembio Billjud/Marin Studio PA/DJ Kablage Tillbehör also. Now my question is if i risk frying the amp if i parallel connect the speakers to the amp since they are different ohms?

Thanks!

Just a brief update on European sellers of the P.Audio HP-10W:

Lautsprecher Intertechnik - Lautsprecher für Selbstbau, Hifi, Pro Audio & Car Hifi will have them in stock again by week 26 (Too late for Roskilde Festival)

H-Audio Elektroakustik - Lautsprecherentwicklung in der Grammophonfabrik Hannover-PA Speaker, Lautsprecherbau, Frequenzweichenentwicklung, Lautsprecherentwicklung, PAF212, RCF, B&C, BEYMA, CIARE,EIGHTEENSOUND, BMS, Celestion Truvox Lautsprecherversan is currently out-phasing all P.Audio products under the reason that they are increasing in price each month. They won't have HP-10W in stock again.

Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY has also stopped carrying the HP-10W.

I am yet to recieve mails from the rest of the european retailers, but the situation is looking rather dark for those of us needing the speakers before festival time. :(

Just a brief update on European sellers of the P.Audio HP-10W:

Lautsprecher Intertechnik - Lautsprecher für Selbstbau, Hifi, Pro Audio & Car Hifi will have them in stock again by week 26 (Too late for Roskilde Festival)

H-Audio Elektroakustik - Lautsprecherentwicklung in der Grammophonfabrik Hannover-PA Speaker, Lautsprecherbau, Frequenzweichenentwicklung, Lautsprecherentwicklung, PAF212, RCF, B&C, BEYMA, CIARE,EIGHTEENSOUND, BMS, Celestion Truvox Lautsprecherversan is currently out-phasing all P.Audio products under the reason that they are increasing in price each month. They won't have HP-10W in stock again.

Boutique haut parleurs et audio DIY has also stopped carrying the HP-10W.

I am yet to recieve mails from the rest of the european retailers, but the situation is looking rather dark for those of us needing the speakers before festival time. :(

I think Ljudia.se will continue having them although it will be too late for Roskilde Festival this year. They sounded positive about the fact that they sold 4 times as many the last couple of months.

No guarantee though.