The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 65 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2010, 05:32 PM   #641
Eres is offline Eres  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
You should note that I plan to sell these at some point in the future but for your own use there's absolutely no problem in building your own. You should note that this is the final prototype version and that the real full version will have slightly different dimensions as I'm putting in a 14 watts a-Si solar panel to cover the entire top. I'm also using another tweeter now instead of the peizo type in the prototype.

This one: Constant Directivity Horn | super tweeter tweeters tweeter ir horns horn tweeters horn tweeter horn CTS | Parts-Express.com

That also means that I'm using a proper filter now. It's just a simple 6/12db octave type so it shouldn't be too difficult sorting out component values. I'm not finished tweaking the filter yet.

Hi Saturnus
Have you come to any conclusion on your tweeter and filter choice for the Boominator Mark II??
Old 20th June 2010, 01:50 AM   #642
docman is offline docman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default greetings, & cad file question

Hello from a new member, and thank you to the many contributors to this thread, Saturnus first and foremost! Excellent project.

I'm just starting my own build, and thinking about what variations, if any, to make from Saturnus's design.

Saturnus, unless I've missed something -- entirely possibly after reading 641 posts back-to-back -- I can't seem to locate your sketchup file. Would you mind providing it again? I could easily provide permanent public hosting, too (I run an open source project & have a dedicated server with plenty of free bandwidth/space to spare.)

I'm sure I'll return with more annoying questions.. :-)

cheers.
Old 22nd June 2010, 08:58 AM   #643
diyAudio Member

Hi.. I need some help from you guys in here.

I need to find out how much battery power I need for the setup I have been building. I have been making a Boominator clone for the upcoming Roskilde Festival, but I cant figure out how to calculate how much battery power im going to need.
Could anyone of you tell me how to do that, so I can find out how many batteries I need?

I have build a boominator clon with the following setup:

- AMP6-Basic Amplifier
- 2 x P.Audio HP-10W
- 2 x Piezo Tweeters
- and an Ipod as audio input.

It has been build exactly as Saturnus has explained it should.
Many in this thread have written that with this setup, it will last ~170hours on a 75ah car battery, but I dont know how they have come up with this number. Can anyone help me with this calculation? I need to calculate it at max power btw!

Thanks
Old 22nd June 2010, 01:16 PM   #644
diyAudio Member

I'm pretty sure I use 4 woofers and 4 tweeters

Anyways, as has been explained countless times in this thread and in the Roskilde Forum thread, this is how you calculate it:

Total average consumption at maximum music output = voltage squared / (impedance * 10) ( = 1.8W in this case)

That because total output per channel is voltage squared / (impedance * 2) * efficiency

Since effeciency is irrelevant for consumption we remove that.

And since we have 2 channels we remove the * 2

And since you don't listen to sinus test waves but actual music the average output as set by international standards to minimum 10 dB below (this equals heavily compressed techno music or commercial sound tracks in sound quality = really bad) the average music output is maximum one-tenth of maximum output we add the * 10.

A car battery is not a good consumption battery so the realistic usable Ah rating is 2/3rd the specified, and the average voltage over usage time is about 12V we get:

(75 * 2 * 12) / 3 = 600Wh, divided with consumption gives: 600Wh / 1.8W = 333 hours.

Last edited by Saturnus; 22nd June 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 24th June 2010, 09:19 PM   #645
diyAudio Member

I'd like some feedback from the people that complained about the HP100s. What's your verdict now that you had a chance to burn them in?
Old 25th June 2010, 12:13 PM   #646
matros is offline matros  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to matros Send a message via Skype™ to matros
I have beenreading through this thread and have decided to start prepping for my own boominator clone.
First off I love your stereo, I wish there was a picture of it complete though. Or maybe I have just missed it
Reason I wanna see a final picture is that I can't really understand what the two holes between your speakers are for?
I see you got the horn on the sides.

Anyways, I have been looking at some speakers, and found out that the company I work at gets a pretty good discpunt from monacor.dk, so I have been trying to find a some there.
I have partly decided to buy the following:
SPA-10PA
HT-95PA

I tried to look for a driver similar to the HP-10W that you love so much, would the SPA-10PA do? Also is the tweeter alright? Or would a piezo be better?
Old 27th June 2010, 08:43 PM   #647
boniac is offline boniac  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Saturnus: Great work with the boominator! Earlier this summer, a guy at the swedish festival "Fiesta!" let me have a peek at his version of the boominatior. It sounded great!

So now I have decided to build a version of my own. I think i will step up a size and build with 12 inch elements instead. Will the Amp6 be suitable for going up "a size"?
Old 28th June 2010, 03:48 PM   #648
diyAudio Member

Hmm i just recieved my 2 x P. Audio WN-8R-elements and noticed that the speaker cones are different. One is shiny and the other one is matt. Wonder if they have left out some treatment on the matt-coloured speaker? Do you think this might effect the sound? Product serials and other codes on the packets are identical.
Here is a few fotos:
Click the image to open in full size.

Cheer,

Lasse
Old 30th June 2010, 09:15 AM   #649
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to ArjenShenzhen
hi guys ! cool projects! how ever its not as portable here and there, ive made myself something what might not be a massive machine, but its still very loud and very bassy, at the same time its light , rugged and lasts 10 hours on one charge and not huge ( also not small)

its a good 90 CM long a tube with 2 90 deg pieces for the 4" speakers that have 90Db each, and 4 Ohms, good for battery power loads, it uses a MKIII TA2020 and a MP3 module with remote, a simple one without display.

it weighs 4 KG and has an amazing sound! way way better than those JVC boom box things in the time, and very loud, no distortion and Cristal clear... needless to say im very happy with it, aldo there are some things i intend to improve, first of witch the looks... its not a looker..

if there is interest i can share some more info for the somewhat modest boominators amongst us :-)
Old 11th July 2010, 05:57 AM   #650
nige838 is offline nige838  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArjenShenzhen View Post
hi guys ! cool projects! how ever its not as portable here and there, ive made myself something what might not be a massive machine, but its still very loud and very bassy, at the same time its light , rugged and lasts 10 hours on one charge and not huge ( also not small)

its a good 90 CM long a tube with 2 90 deg pieces for the 4" speakers that have 90Db each, and 4 Ohms, good for battery power loads, it uses a MKIII TA2020 and a MP3 module with remote, a simple one without display.

it weighs 4 KG and has an amazing sound! way way better than those JVC boom box things in the time, and very loud, no distortion and Cristal clear... needless to say im very happy with it, aldo there are some things i intend to improve, first of witch the looks... its not a looker..

if there is interest i can share some more info for the somewhat modest boominators amongst us :-)
I really hope that I don't bother you with my questions, but what kind of batteries are you using? I've experimented with PVC, but I don't know how to port.

Thank you for your time

Hide this!Advertise here!