The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 58 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th May 2010, 01:44 PM   #571
euforia is offline euforia  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Found it! It saw on the assembly instruction for the AMP6-B acctually=)

I drove to Ljudia yesterday and bought the 4x HP-10W by the way....when i got home and tested them two of them had defects!! It almost seems like the cone is made of dual layers of paper and that there is no glue in between, resulting in a rattling/broken sound when playing bass. Ever thumping on the cone with your fingers generat this rattling sound. Iīm replacing them in the end of the week.

Another thing i noticed is that the total height of HP-10W is 132,5mm resulting in a total "bi-polar" height of 265mm. What really amazes me is that you can slide the magnets onto eachother simply as nothing, needs no force at all and you barely notice that they even want to retract eachother sideways and they barely attract eachother either. Isnīt this strange? there should be a strong force or else the magnets are really weak?
I even read in another forum where Saturnus said that they will stick togheter superstrong and the glue was there "just in case". Have they changed the woofers for the worse?
Old 26th May 2010, 04:45 PM   #572
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euforia View Post
Found it! It saw on the assembly instruction for the AMP6-B acctually=)

I drove to Ljudia yesterday and bought the 4x HP-10W by the way....when i got home and tested them two of them had defects!! It almost seems like the cone is made of dual layers of paper and that there is no glue in between, resulting in a rattling/broken sound when playing bass. Ever thumping on the cone with your fingers generat this rattling sound. Iīm replacing them in the end of the week.

Another thing i noticed is that the total height of HP-10W is 132,5mm resulting in a total "bi-polar" height of 265mm. What really amazes me is that you can slide the magnets onto eachother simply as nothing, needs no force at all and you barely notice that they even want to retract eachother sideways and they barely attract eachother either. Isnīt this strange? there should be a strong force or else the magnets are really weak?
I even read in another forum where Saturnus said that they will stick togheter superstrong and the glue was there "just in case". Have they changed the woofers for the worse?
Seems like you got some dodgy drivers there. The magnets should indeed be very strong. Have you tried with a screwdriver? Btw, you need to remove the sticker on the back to get the real magnetic connection between the two magnets but even without doing that if you stack them on top of each other magnet to magnet you should be able to lift the bottom one with the top one.
Old 26th May 2010, 09:42 PM   #573
euforia is offline euforia  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Is it possible they have changed the specs?
-The weight of one woofer is 2.7kg witch gives a total of 10,8kg. (and not 14kg)
-The height of the woofer is smaller than Saturnus ones.
-If i stack them together and lift the top one it almost like they repell eachother and helping me lift the top one.

As i see, this canīt be some faulty fabrications as i have four of them with same weight and as they give equal SPL (measured by my ear) they must have cut the costs on these?. Im just feeling i wont be making a "hell of a blaster" with these ones compared to the drivers you guys seems to have gotten. Anyone else notising the same maybe?
Old 26th May 2010, 10:17 PM   #574
Shik is offline Shik  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Am I ready?

Hi,

I'm about to build a smaller version of the boominator, I got these things, am I good to go?

2x HP-10W
2x Zomax piezo tweeters (Like saturnus')
1x Pre-assembled AMP6-Basic
2x 5w 150ohm resistors (for tweeters)
1x on/off button
2x bass reflex tubes 6,6 cm diameter
and of course some appropriate wood for building.
+misc. accessories, like corners and speaker protection, car battery.

Anything you guys would say I am missing?

I know that I cannot go for 4ohm since I only have 2 speakers, but I think I will manage.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:31 PM   #575
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euforia View Post
Is it possible they have changed the specs?
-The weight of one woofer is 2.7kg witch gives a total of 10,8kg. (and not 14kg)
-The height of the woofer is smaller than Saturnus ones.
-If i stack them together and lift the top one it almost like they repell eachother and helping me lift the top one.

As i see, this canīt be some faulty fabrications as i have four of them with same weight and as they give equal SPL (measured by my ear) they must have cut the costs on these?. Im just feeling i wont be making a "hell of a blaster" with these ones compared to the drivers you guys seems to have gotten. Anyone else notising the same maybe?
Well, since the physical measures seem to be correct with what you find in the specification. Then the sound measurements you can also find should also be correct so it would not make a huge difference. But it does screw up the dimensions a bit.
Old 26th May 2010, 10:32 PM   #576
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shik View Post
Hi,

I'm about to build a smaller version of the boominator, I got these things, am I good to go?

2x HP-10W
2x Zomax piezo tweeters (Like saturnus')
1x Pre-assembled AMP6-Basic
2x 5w 150ohm resistors (for tweeters)
1x on/off button
2x bass reflex tubes 6,6 cm diameter
and of course some appropriate wood for building.
+misc. accessories, like corners and speaker protection, car battery.

Anything you guys would say I am missing?

I know that I cannot go for 4ohm since I only have 2 speakers, but I think I will manage.
Everything you didn't think off

EDIT: Oh, and congrats on getting the piezos. There's actually only 2 left in Europe at all the official importers combined and it's gone out of production. So no more standard Boominators.

Last edited by Saturnus; 26th May 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 28th May 2010, 01:25 AM   #577
diyAudio Member

Hi guys..
I just have a quick question, since im a little uncertain about how to connect the amp6-b to my carbattery. Since im using a carbattery, like everyone else I guess, do I just connect the amp6 to the carbattery with two wires?

Is it the + and GND in the upper left corner of the picture that I connect the battery to?

Click the image to open in full size.

Thanks

/Odelheim
Old 28th May 2010, 08:47 AM   #578
calypso is offline calypso  Italy
diyAudio Member

hi all. hi saturnus. very thanks to all of you for the great inspirations and the soulful experience you're transmitting...

- saturnus, i'm humbly asking your permission to start a boominator project of mine

planning to build a boominator inspired boombox with two 4ohms in series plus two 4ohms in series coax speaker. their specs: http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/Doc/pdf_ecx690.pdf
- the amp will be arjen helder ta2020 mkiii.
- the housing will be blirch plywood, 12mm. two sloped boxes with triangle sizes - in a backpack.
- looks like i will need a 52liter volumes to match speaker's fs in a dipole configuration. too much! what if i do closed box and add fiberwool to virtually raise volume?

why my magnets don't exactly match when they're touching? i have to force them to be precisely matching in all points - else they collide but with a lag of two centimeters.

any other help is welcome.

and obviously, thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 05:49 PM   #579
ThokN is offline ThokN  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus View Post
300x300x900mm

All outer ply is 12mm. Bracing is 8mm. Center volume is 66mm wide.

That gives 23L total volume when all drivers, ports and bracing volume is deducted.
I'm trying to calculate the dimensions for one speaker enclosure of a Boominator from the volume and measurements you mention, but I can't get it right.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

When the plywood and center compartment is deducted, I calculate the volume of one enclosure to be ~30,2 liters.

Deducting the speakers (~2*1,4 liters) I get ~27.4 liters.

The piezos are maximum 0.2 liters in total.

I calculated the middle bracing volume to be 0.86 liters. If maybe half of this is cut away to make the two speakers share the enclosure, it is 0.43 liters.

The port I would estimate to be maybe ~0.2L depending on how you cut the plywood used for it.

So in total I get ~26,4 liters available in an enclosure. Where do the remaining 3.4 liters disappear to?

Last edited by ThokN; 28th May 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 29th May 2010, 09:40 PM   #580
diyAudio Member

I wrote a little earlier that the driver takes up 2.1 liter each. Going back to check my notes it's actually 2.6 liter each.

The port assembly takes up 2/3rds of an end wall so just calculate with 20mm ends.

The center bracing isn't cut that much out. Calculate it with taking up about 7.5mm (if it's 9mm thick).

so for each side

length = 450 - 42 (center compartment including 9mm walls on each side) - 20 end = 388mm

width = 300 - 31.5 (sides and center brace) = 268.5mm

height = 300 - 24 (top and bottom) = 276mm

total volume = 3.88 * 2.685 * 2.76 = 28.8 liter

net volume = 28.8 - 5.8 (all drivers including tweeters) = 23 liter

Hide this!Advertise here!