The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 29 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2009, 02:14 PM   #281
diyAudio Member

jeesh, these pictures are small. I don't have a pic hosting site, so they'll have to do for now.

Here's the inside. Still kind of a rat's nest. Eventually I plan to clean it up and tie everything down so it looks like 1950s military avionics.

You can see the boards it was built of here. The whole lid screws down with the four big knurled screws on the top. Note that the amps are built into a subchassis made of modelmaker's ABS (styrene) that's super easy to cut and glues up permanently with cynaoacrylate glue.

--Buckapound
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbox2alr.jpg (54.7 KB, 1525 views)
Old 11th February 2009, 03:24 PM   #282
diyAudio Member

Default Boominator

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckapound
jeesh, these pictures are small. I don't have a pic hosting site, so they'll have to do for now.

Here's the inside. Still kind of a rat's nest. Eventually I plan to clean it up and tie everything down so it looks like 1950s military avionics.

You can see the boards it was built of here. The whole lid screws down with the four big knurled screws on the top. Note that the amps are built into a subchassis made of modelmaker's ABS (styrene) that's super easy to cut and glues up permanently with cynaoacrylate glue.

--Buckapound
Buckapound,

This thing looks awesome. I'd love to see larger pictures! Can you email them to me? Thanks.
Old 11th February 2009, 06:12 PM   #283
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to aphelion
hey Saturnus,

While you're digging up that cad drawing of your box, do you think it's possible to post the schematic you made for the original boominator, as well? I'm really interested in seeing how you did it all
Old 11th February 2009, 10:26 PM   #284
col is offline col  Australia
diyAudio Member

buckapound, email me the pics and I'll upload them into my gallery for you. That way you can just send out the url. I mean if that thing ain't a minirig I don't know what is

col.
Old 12th February 2009, 10:31 AM   #285
diyAudio Member

aphelion , luckily posting the filter scematics is not a problem since it doesn't involve me having to go to work to dig it up. (I'm on prolonged sick leave).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boominator filter.jpg (16.9 KB, 1379 views)
Old 13th February 2009, 01:32 PM   #286
diyAudio Member

Here's a link to higher-resolution pictures of the boombox I posted the other day:

http://minirig.org.au/2009/02/13/buckapound-boombox/

Thanks to Col for putting these on his site.

Cheers,

--Buckapound
Old 13th February 2009, 04:46 PM   #287
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Here's a link to higher-resolution pictures of the boombox I posted the other day:

http://minirig.org.au/2009/02/13/buckapound-boombox/

Thanks to Col for putting these on his site.

Cheers,

--Buckapound

Buckapound,

What is the honeycomb type material you used for the cabinet? I'm guessing it's very light and stiff?
Old 13th February 2009, 05:22 PM   #288
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I was lucky enough to find a piece of composite material for my boombox on eBay: 1 cm nomex honeycomb panels. Skins are cross-plys of carbon fiber encased by cross-plys of fiberglas on each side. Not super-light, but very, very strong. As I recall it came out of some military/aerospace contractor in Kansas or Oklahoma. Surprisingly little of that kind of thing on eBay. Perhaps it all gets slurped up by racers of various kinds.

The stuff is a little problematic to work with because the edges show the honeycomb so you either have to miter, fill or hide them. And there's no secure way to glue them except for glopping them up with epoxy and sanding them back to square. I ended up with a welded stainless steel frame, kind of like an anvil case type of construction. The stuff was green, rough and ugly, too, so I ended up gluing on cosmetic carbon fber skin with polyurethane caulk.

--Buckapound

^^
Old 14th February 2009, 04:24 AM   #289
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aphelion

^^
aphelion,

Thanks, I am familiar with the process of epoxying to fill the honeycomb on the edges as a friend has done the same process. The carbon fiber skin gives it a nice look, sort of vintage military with a modern twist. Anyway, you've done a beautiful job with this, with well thought out features (battery/AC, etc.)

I'm hoping to finish my bicycle mounted sound system soon and all of this "Boominator" information has been helpful. I decided specifically against using honeycomb material because it seemed too complex, even though the lightweight and stiffness characteristics seem beneficial.

At the risk of being redundant, because I have posted this link before, photos of my project are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/macpaul...7612483184893/
Old 14th February 2009, 05:43 AM   #290
diyAudio Member

Macaudio,

Apologies, I thought you were asking for the name of the honeycomb material.

Aph

Hide this!Advertise here!