The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

One of the reasons I want to build the boominator is to have a power supply at camp for my electronics, the massive speaker is a bonus.

Having the panel seperate would save the hassle of trying to find one that fits. I've spent hours trying to find an amorphous panel but still no luck.

RA6qS6B.jpg

My mess so far

One of the reasons I want to build the boominator is to have a power supply at camp for my electronics, the massive speaker is a bonus.

Having the panel seperate would save the hassle of trying to find one that fits. I've spent hours trying to find an amorphous panel but still no luck.

You would be better off with a CIGS type panel. They produce more power under partial sun. At 75w you would have quite a bit of extra power but it needs to be mounted off the Boominator.

Solopower SOLOPANEL75 Watt Flexible Lightweight 22 Volt Cigs Solar Panel SP1 75 | eBay

Would love something like that aterren, maybe in the future.

I've cut all my wood now and I'm nearing the final stages but this whole solar thing is driving me up the wall. I really want an amorphous or cigs panel but I can't find one anywhere. One of you veterans must have a bit of inside knowledge or the scoop on a panel.

I don't think they are too easy to find in any part of the globe. Some of the manufacturers went out of business or were sold to concerns in China. In the end the smaller panels don't seem to be very common now but CIGS panels are available for roof mounting but that does not help us much.

If you are really interested and the ebay seller will not ship to the UK, you can send it to me and we can get it sent to you.

How was working with the phenolic ply? Did it route any better than baltic birch plys regarding tear out?

I don't think they are too easy to find in any part of the globe. Some of the manufacturers went out of business or were sold to concerns in China. In the end the smaller panels don't seem to be very common now but CIGS panels are available for roof mounting but that does not help us much.

If you are really interested and the ebay seller will not ship to the UK, you can send it to me and we can get it sent to you.

How was working with the phenolic ply? Did it route any better than baltic birch plys regarding tear out?

Did you glue the speaker fronts (baffle) on?

I'm getting close to having the cad file finished for CNC cutting a full size boominator (standard and signature with PHT-407 tweeters and standard with the piezo).

The biggest question is what provisions should I make for cooling and the user controls. I am leaning toward recessing a 1/8"x3"x9" pocket for front and back aluminium panels.

A Penn-Elcom dish is always an option but I don't like the aesthetics.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

When a cut or routed edge splinters instead of cutting cleanly. Often when routing across grain the cutting edge can pull the wood rather than cutting cleanly. It creates splinters.

tearout.jpg

I've not experienced that, the routed edges are really sharp, cutting it is a very satisfactory experience. I wish I'd done the tweeter holes with a router rather then a hole saw because the difference is quite clear.

I sendt a draft out to my CNC shop today and they didn't have any trouble with the dfx file our my layers. I hedged my bets on access panels and created a few inserts that can be customized and the front/rear recesses are sized for 3" wide metal plate, if desired. On the port pieces I have added 5mm holes for dowels to align the parts during assembly. Pilot holes will be drilled for the tweeters and a couple of 5mm holes will be drilled for wires to pass between the speaker and electronics compartments.

Now it's ready to send out for quote.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I had a nice chat with our local CNC guy today and it looks like we can get 4 boominators from 3 sheets of Koskisen Colorfin (phenolic ply at $160 a sheet!).

Materials and CNC cutting will run $210 per Boominator in multiples of 4. Anyone interested? Shipping in the USA could be as much as $50 depending on final weight and where you live.