The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2008, 05:37 AM   #141
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stevodude
OK, I'm getting some tripath kits. aussie boominator comming to a beach near you...

just got to source 4 drivers 6" - 10" for good value pricing and suite boominator style back to back config...

Oh I have a bunch ( 12 ) solar panels from my garden lights where the casing on the lights are mostly broken and the batteries are stuffed (1 AA 1.5 in each) , so i've bought new ones :-)
Now each solar panel is outputing around 0.5 of a Volt how does this charge a battery?, if I hook 12 together I'll be getting 6V... and would the 2024 run off a 12v sealed led acid ok? charge from these panels I am not sure...
Old 16th September 2008, 11:47 PM   #142
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention that at this years Roskilde festival, which is a 8 day rock festival, we had excellent sunny weather and I measured the voltage in the batteries before leaving to 13.4 volts. After coming home I measured 13.2 volts after 8 days of playing between 12-16 hours a day, recharging my own and everyone in the camps and neighbouring camps cell phones and iPods on it.

So in effect I had used next to no power in a whole week.
Old 5th October 2008, 11:35 PM   #143
diyAudio Member

hi fellas! im planing on buildin a portable hifi produkt, sow its not realy a boombox, but anyway its portable and making noice

its suposed to be based on the stereoamp amp6-BASIC

one per of seas p17rcy and some nice tweeters, stereo.

the powersupply will hopefully be a pack of NiMH bateries, 12, around 3 ah. i allsow want to be able to connect it directly to the wall and at the same time im suplying the amp i would like to charge the batteries, is that possible? and how do i fix that?

hope this isnt of topic. otherwise just kick me out
Old 6th October 2008, 08:33 AM   #144
v-bro is offline v-bro  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi, 12 cells will give too high voltage when they're fully charged!

It'll probably damage the amp...

What you want to do is easy with an SLA battery as this gets charged with constant voltage. An Nimh battery is charged by pulse voltage, so the hard part of your idea is getting rid of this noise...

Maybe someone else has bright ideas, but I'm afraid you're best off with a separate charger and amplifier power supply.
Old 6th October 2008, 06:58 PM   #145
diyAudio Member

ment 12 V, but missed the "V-button" :P ok i see the problem. but there would be sow mutch easier if i didnt had to take out the batteries every time ill charge them, and dosent a sls batery produce hydrogen gas or some like that when charged? that wouldnt make them very nice in a small box with a lot of electronics, or indoros, and allsow the Nimh is alot smaller...
Old 6th October 2008, 07:52 PM   #146
diyAudio Member

The sealed SLA "Gel-Cells" don't leak and make nice bateries for portable electronics. They are a little heavy, but they are easy fo find, charge well, have long lives, and can put out a lot of power (amperage) if needed. They can also be charged with the individual cells in series, which makes the circuitry simpler. And compared to NiMH batteries, they don't drain quickly when idle, an annoying drawback of NiMH batteries.

The best chargers use some kind of HF pulsing which "desulfonates" the lead plates, prolonging life.

It's a simple matter of hooking the battery to a double-throw switch, with one position running the box on an AC power supply, with the other position powering the amp by the battery. Also with SLA you can plug a small solar panel in parallel with the battery to prolong life. Hard to do that with NiMH or Lithium cells.

--Buckapound
Old 6th October 2008, 09:45 PM   #147
diyAudio Member

hm yeah the gel-cells ive heard to be good. will that make it possible to charge the battery and supply the amp at the same time? not sure i realy got the? and where can i find such a switch?

may c-tec 3600 be a good charger then?

thanx a lot for your help!
Old 6th October 2008, 10:25 PM   #148
diyAudio Member

I would think the 800 model should be all you need, as long as it is a computer-controlled charger with the de-sulfonation feature, which it should be for that price.

I used a four-pole, double-throw switch. Attached is the diagram(s) I used to hook it up, one a circuit, the other more pictorial. The thing with all the terminals is the switch. I chose to not have the charger and SSMPS grounds connected. Not sure if this was the right move, but it seemed to make sense to me at the time.

If you have a battery charger that can run off of 12-13v instead of mains AC, this simplifies things a bit and means you only need one trnsformer instead of two. I haven't yet torn into mine to see if this is a possibility.

--Buckapound.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:28 PM   #149
diyAudio Member

Thought I had that attachment on there...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbxpwr1.jpg (89.8 KB, 1194 views)
Old 1st December 2008, 09:25 PM   #150
tsnell is offline tsnell  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hi Everybody,

The summer festival season is about to kick off over here in oz I am considering building my own Boominator (if you don’t mind Saturnus!). I would love to have something finished in time for the falls festival over new years, it’s probably an overly ambitious target but hey nothing like a deadline to get motivated! I have a few questions if you don’t mind Saturnus (and thanks very much in advance for any response).

1. What software did you use to design the enclosure? Roughly what internal volume did you end up with for each bass reflex enclosure?
2. I think the idea of the end ports doubling as carry handles is genius. Surely there was some compromise between good port design and comfortable hand holes? What factor won out in the end, i.e. did you design a comfortable grip and a port that would just “do the job” or vice versa?
3. When you say you modified the “input sensitivity to suit iPods headphone output” how did you do this, trial and error or is there a science to it?

There were a few Aussies on here talking about building their own and I just want to know how they turned out, if there were any useful hints or tips or the name of any good local suppliers? I have had a look for suitable tweeters and am struggling a bit. Parts express shipping cost is more than double what the tweeters cost! I would like to do a bit better than the cheap and nasty Jaycar piezo horns if I can, but they’re all I’m finding at the moment that don’t cost an arm and a leg.

Thanks everyone

Hide this!Advertise here!