The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine - Page 114 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Class D

Class D Switching Power Amplifiers and Power D/A conversion

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st April 2011, 06:36 PM   #1131
diyAudio Member

Well. I don't know about anyone else but the CNC program the original is made from has predrilled holes 30mm form each edge and then one screw per 60mm.

Each screw being 25x3.5mm toque screws.
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:24 PM   #1132
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of possibly building a smaller version of "boominator" with 4 of these 6.5" drivers, mounted back-to-back:
HIFI KIT ELECTRONIC AB - Högtalarelement HiFi Hembio Billjud/Marin Studio PA/DJ Kablage Tillbehör

I'm using a website where it can calculate whether the box should be sealed or ported, however for that I need Fs and Qes of the driver, which Qes is not provided on the website. Is it extremely important that the drivers are put in the correct box, or is it alright to put these drivers in a ported box? Although, to calculate the port I will need additional information which is it provided on the website, is it safe to hope that the driver details will be provided in the package when bought?
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:38 PM   #1133
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahaz View Post
Im planning on using glue on all parts except the lid (to be able to open the box up in the future). What kind of glue would you recommend?
If you are going to make one side removable which I highly recommend not doing then at least make it the bottom instead of the top.
Old 24th April 2011, 12:15 PM   #1134
diyAudio Member

Hi Saturnus I've got a question:

When wiring the drivers, you've connected 2 woofers and 1 tweeter in parallel with a 150 ohm resistor in series between woofer and tweeter, is it to reach 4 ohm impedance?
R = 1/(1/8+1/8+1/158) = 3.9 ohm

Assuming only 1 woofer and 1 tweeter will be used, is the resistor still necessary, since these 2 drivers in parallel will add up to 4 ohm imp? Or does the resistor serve a higher purpose?

Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 01:05 PM   #1135
diyAudio Member

No, that not how it's connected. It says on a previous page how it's connected.

The series resistor serves 2 purposes:

- installed like this with the correct piezo it forms a high-pass filter at around 3.5KHz
- installed like this with the correct piezo it forms an impedance correction on the woofers

This is to achieve better sound quality and make the system an even easier load on the amp.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:27 PM   #1136
diyAudio Member

Btw, I've been told some of you might have trouble fitting 3 batteries on top of each, and that's true not all batteries are suited. The height of the battery case has to be max 94mm, and then you hammer the terminals flat after soldering on the wire and before stacking them on top of eachother. Then you have to use the hole designed for the purpose in the bottom. And fixation of the batteries is then simply done by a washer and screw on the bottom (actually 4 of them to hold the weight).
Old 25th April 2011, 02:57 PM   #1137
diyAudio Member

Hey guys

Easter is almost done and I feel i've been very productive in the last week.. I would like to thank Saturnus again again for giving such great advice and being a true inspiration! Lets meet up at Roskilde, so you can get a couple of beers!

Anyways, here is the results of this weeks work.. I've made a temporary lid for the electronics compartment as I didnt have materials to make a proper one as the shops are closed, it will be changed.. I also used my old tweeters temporarily until the new tweeters from ebay arrive, hopefully soonish!

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Phaedras; 25th April 2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Changing picture links
Old 25th April 2011, 04:02 PM   #1138
diyAudio Member

Very professional build. Congratulations.

A little shame the dimensions are tweaked a bit, in my mind it screws up proportions a little from the strict triple-cube design.

So hows the sound compared to your previous build?
Old 25th April 2011, 04:14 PM   #1139
diyAudio Member

Nice job Phaedras.
Been working on my own boominator this easter and got all the parts cut out. So its assembly time soon.

One question:

What solar panels are you using? The panels i looked at are to long and wide to fit the boominator with the aluminum bezel around in the edge. (one i looked at was this one:KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør)
Old 25th April 2011, 04:46 PM   #1140
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus
Very professional build. Congratulations.

A little shame the dimensions are tweaked a bit, in my mind it screws up proportions a little from the strict triple-cube design.

So hows the sound compared to your previous build?
Thanks! Actually the dimensions are not tweaked too much.. Its roughly 29,6x31,5x90cm now..

The sound is somewhat improved.. Especially the kick in the bass is far better now that the cabinet is more rigid and i dont have a removable lid.. I didnt think it would matter too much, but the difference is quite noticeable..

Could we make a Boominator facebook group or something so we can arrange a meetup at Roskilde this year? Could be fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielClark91 View Post
Nice job Phaedras.
Been working on my own boominator this easter and got all the parts cut out. So its assembly time soon.

One question:

What solar panels are you using? The panels i looked at are to long and wide to fit the boominator with the aluminum bezel around in the edge. (one i looked at was this one:KeryChip WEBSHOP - solceller, solcelleanlæg, tilbehør)
Thanks

Im using panels from Electrozone.dk.. Its 8v and 5.2w but when serial connected they are perfect..

Hide this!Advertise here!