The Boominator - another stab at the ultimate party machine

Hey Phaedras

First of all you guessed right ;) (I guess Jensen gave me away)

I have read through the thread last year and know that i can't build a boominator with that budget, but if I use something not as top quality, would it then be possible? :)

And what are the most important things I have to look for when I'm going to look for speakers? :)

I'd say, don't skimp on the drivers, the HP10w is a really great woofer and the boominators i've heard with other drivers didnt sound as good! The piezos aren't that expensive..

If you got 1800 now, its just 50dkr per person ekstra to build the full boominator and you got a really great boombox!

If I wanted to build it with a very tight budget i'd try to save money by:

1. Not buy speaker grills, but try to find materials to make them myself. (Maybe find old thrown out speakers with metal-cover and cut out the grills yourself)
  2. Get as many materials from friends and family, like glue, screws, primer and paint.
  3. Go to some scrapyard and see if you can find a discarded scooter, most use Sealed Lead Acid batteries.
  4. Be creative in material-hunting
Just don't use crap drivers to save money ;)

I can vouche for the half boominator. It works for me and worked for my camp also. There are 2 major cons and 3 major pros for building such a boombox. Deciding how much they each weigh is up to you:

Half boominator:
Pros:
- You'll save money
- Half the power use at max. vol. due to system impedance being 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm (and thus also lowering output - see cons)
- The boombox weighs less

Cons:
- As far as I can recall you lose 6 dB in sound pressure level at max. vol. because of the 2 drivers instead of 4 and system impedance is 8 ohm instead of 4 ohm.
- Sound quality is compromised and phase problems may occur (still WAY better than any store bought boomblaster!)

I like both the half boominator and the full boominator. But I would advise you to build the full boominator if you are going to be 16 people. If you wanna party with a half boominator you should be less than 10 people - it's simply not loud enough.

Happy building :)

thanks for the quick reply, I'll see what we can do about the money issue, but as it stands right now, it sound like there won't be a change, so guess it'll have to be half a boominator :)
I like both the half boominator and the full boominator. But I would advise you to build the full boominator if you are going to be 16 people. If you wanna party with a half boominator you should be less than 10 people - it's simply not loud enough.
last year we used step-up transformers to enhance the volume level, can that be done with this one as well, without creating distortion ? just gotta know before putting it in ;)

Import from USA, I don't feel like waiting for a new one, and ofc I would have to pay for it..

Even in the States they have consumer protection laws. I'm not completely sure but if something is broken on arrival and it's not due to delivery, they have to replace it free of charge if it's returned to them. If it's during delivery it got broken then it's the delivery company's insurance that has to cover it.

just because nothing really happens at the roskilde forum (guess I should have seen that one coming) i decided to copy-paste my note, because i really need an answer :)

"So we've decided to build half a boominator (with a variant in the piezo's). Since one of the demands were that the box could last the entire week (or at least on one or two recharges), I have to make sure my calculations are right. Previosly in the thread you, saturnus, calculated it for someone, with the exact amp that we're using, with these numbers.

On 4 ohm the amp draws 350 mA on max volume, and if we use a traction batteri, with 22 Ah (the lowest we can go, without it being either too expensive or too small an amount)we would be able to hold for

22*2/0,35 = 125 hours

you also wrote that with 8 ohm it'll be twice as long, in other words about 250 hours which equals to about ten days :eek: are my calcuations correct or am I doing something wrong :)

the variant in piezo's are one of these two models

QLM-1005 - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

Rila SA38 Piezo - Ljudia - Multimedia Hemelektronik Karaoke PA anläggning DJ utrustning Ljus utrustning

Can they be used ? :)"