Look Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nice find. i completely forgot about BGmicro even though i bough a VFD from there ages ago.

The only problem with them is they want to ship the heavy transformer by air mail which cost more than the item itself. if they shipped surface it would be an amazing deal.

so if you are outside USA the price is more than doubled. mind you thats still pretty good for a 650VA Transformer similar one (but 48vct) on partsconnexion.com id $95 and digikey price is similar.

Also its center tapped which means you cant use a dual rectifier PSU which some people will not like and is not compatible with BrianGT and Audiosector PSU without modification.

" ... The transformer should fit inside a $10.00 USPS Priority Mail box. I wonder why shipping is $25.96,handling?. The shipping kills the deal for me. ..." ... " ... Not for that shipping price. ..." ... " ... BG micro is just down the road from me. I may go pick up a couple of these ..."

$27 shipping of 33 pounds dead weight plus packaging material & hope it doesn't escape from a cardboard box ... And that's last years prices ... this year it is more.

Get used to it folks: UPS rates went up more than 10+% January 2, 2007 ... FedEx, DHL, USPS = same, same ...

(Blame it on the tax suckers for the high price of fuel = 1/3 taxes per gallion. As a result there is no more budget crisis here in Taxifornia ...)

:bawling:

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
jaudio said:
$89.95 for two,that makes it worth wind:D

No foolin! I sprung for two as well. These are quite a bit taller than most similarly spec'd toroidal transformers and you will definitely want a soft start circuit, but the price should make them go like hotcakes. The secondary voltages should be good for a lot of different projects.

So, even though they are all gone, I wanted to mention... I asked in the Note field if they could ship it in a flat rate box. I just got a call from them. They have mine in a flat rate box, but feel there isn't enough padding to protect them. They left it up to me though, so I chose the larger (and more expensive) UPS option.

They said they recently changed over to a new system for shipping clacs that doesn;t support Flat Rate Boxes as an option, but that if you call they can do it. In fact, their old software allowed for it.

This is the first time I have ordered anything from them, and given the experience and attention they have paid, I would do so again.

So, I drive down to BGmicro yesterday to pick a couple up...
Sold out!
However, I got a lead on the whereabouts of more so, I drive across Dallas to find the're not available yet.
Apparantly the supplier requires them to remove a label and these are "not ready to sell yet". Also, I was told these will be more $$$ than BG but they couldn't give me a quote.
I did have a chance to "fondle" one though.
Oh well... I have too many projects already.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.