Look Transformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
More info...

The trafos are wound for 117V, and the secondary voltage output is actually a bit lower than 22V.

Here is what I get.

20.5VAC/0/20.5VAC

At my power supply that translates to 29VDC(measured) rails.

Not bad really, and I am driving a current thirsty bridged amp where the current these 650VA trafos offer is the key advantage.

Over all, an excellent find.

Cheers!
Russ

BWRX said:
If your measurements are right then the secondary voltage is more like 42V. I wonder if the center tapped secondary is actually two windings joined or one winding with a tap...

I measured across the tap as well.

Center tap is yellow and red and blue are hot.

Its actually identical in construction to another plitron 40VCT (these should be 44VCT) I own. These trafos actually produce almost exactly the same voltage on the secondary.

So to be precise I am getting 41VCT AC. which is just a tad lower than what I would expect for a trafo rated for 117V.

So its very solid, and works great, like I said no humm or vibration.

I Have two in a large case (so 1.3 KVA) protected with a slow-blow 8 amp fuse.

Cheers!
Russ

I looked at these little beauties too, but Russ bought them all before I got a chance to order. :D Just kidding I was too cheap to pay for shipping for two of them (translation: the wife said no).

In any case i had a different thought on what to do with them...which is make a nice isolation transformer by attaching two of them back to back. This is way cheaper than buying an actual isolation transformer and should work very well.

I have a few Plitron transformers that I am using in my projects and have never been dissapointed with them even at full price.

G.

burnedfingers said:

I just received mine and one tests 22.6 VAC and the other 22.1 VAC.

I cannot say much for the packing because mine were thrown into a box with newspaper with a once over of bubble pack.
I won't buy from them again.

With the same voltage on the primaries? Hook them up at the same time and check. Your line could have sagged when the fridge, heat... came on.

They did offer a more pricey shipping option...

OK everyone, Lets see pics of them in action. I like looking at big round...tttransformers. Man, I guess wasn't weaned properly.
That just gave me an idea of a layout for a pr of these big-uns

Hey Russ, tell me about that amp.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Considering what I just paid for a 625VA from Plitron, $33.50 USD is as close to FREE as you can get. Somehow it seems all the good surplus stores (except for Surplus and Scientific) are in the US.

I wanted to buy 2, but the only option for shipping was USPS and was over $95, so I had to settle for 1 and paid $37 on top for shipping.

Still waiting on mine

while packing may have been scary to some, happy to get an undamaged well working plitron for 70+% off.

here's pic before going into aleph30, perspective really taints the size diff to the 400va in there.

Attachments

• toroidready.jpg
    toroidready.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 321
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.