"Bivoj" - the new chipamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Artistic interpretation of its spectral clarity:

Attachments

• steel comb.jpg
    steel comb.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 613
Dear Pavel, you wrote on 03-02-2003 at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5318&perpage=10&pagenumber=5
'OPA549 (or OPA541 etc.) is not the best solution for hi-end amp. You should not use higher gain than 2x - 4x. The circuit has low GBW (1 MHz) and there is not enough feedback for higher frequencies, this resulting in rapidly rising distortion at higher frequencies.
I would recommend this circuit as a car or basement amplifier, no hi-fi.'
Has your opinion akinda changed now? As for me OPA549 at lower gains sounds
not worse than 3886 or 7294 or something similar.
How "Bivoj" can be translated into English by the way?

Hi Serge,

I have not changed my mind, I do not like neither OPA549, nor any other chipamp. They all suffer from the problem indicated here - crossover distortion residuals of high order.

"Bivoj" cannot be translated, it was a mythological person of Slavonic (czech) history and fairy tales. A strong man who killed a boar by strong hands :D

Pavel,

many of the chip-fetishists on orange crates in this audio arena seem to be anything but newcomers.

I've put a couple of chip-amps together a year ago.
Can't honestly say they're that much more exciting than the philips tda things from when i still had lots of hair in exposed places.
And chippendale amps do not combine with a great many of the loudspeaker systems i prefer.

I like your creation Pavel,

would love to have a pcb printer on my home computer....ctrl-p and up you go! :D

To Jacco: new chipamps are capable of moving a central heating radiator when near to a magnet...:p I use a class D chipamp for my ESL speakers, is that what you were referring to?

And believe me, chipamps will take over eventually....inevitably.....

v-bro said:
would love to have a pcb printer on my home computer....ctrl-p and up you go

Find an HP flatbed plotter, my g/f got me one from a dumpster on garbage day, came with a bag of ink pens and all hookup wires. Crazy dame, ever seen an MD going through a dumpster ?
Fill some pens with etch resisted ink, and voila.

Personally, i don't see class D circuits as chip amplifiers, this forum doesn't either i believe.
Denomating class D as an integrated amplifier concept is like saying it is digital.
I don't share your glorious vision of the future either.

jacco vermeulen said:
Find a HP flatbed plotter, my g/f got me one from a dumpster on garbage day, came with a bag of ink pens and all hookup wires. Crazy dame, ever seen an MD going through a dumpster ?
Fill some pens with etch resisted ink, and voila.

Good one! I thought it would involve vertical drilling, this seems much easier... But can it produce precision SMD multilayer boards? I guess the metalised holes are no option...

Are you guys referring to standard A-B IC amps or gainclones, saying they aren't more exciting than philips TDA...2020 2030 chips?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.