Why remove capacitor 'wrapping' ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My analogy compared two people, one whose thought processes are rooted in objective reality and one whose thought process are not. It IS a perfectly valid analogy when applied to objectivist vs. subjectivist audio discussions. Further, while it is clear that nothing the objectivist says will convince the subjectivist that his eyes are blue, there is also nothing the subjectivist can say that will convince the objectivist that his eyes are brown.

I suggest that we all accept each other's weaknesses and move on.

I_F

rdf said:
I_Forgot, your input to this thread has been without a single technical on-topic point. Presenting measurements and a reasonable technical analysis changed nothing, how it that being objective or rooted in reality again?

My point is that threads like this are pointless. Both sides of the argument believe they are right, neither will change their mind based on anything the other says.

In the end it all degenerates into name calling, until the next thread when all the same arguments are rehashed, until that thread degenerates into name calling, and etc., ad nauseum.

Maybe the noobs are still entertained by it, and maybe there are enough of them around to keep it all rolling. I am quite weary of it.

Pfffffffft!

I_F

IF, this is more a case of someone claiming an audible result and (as usual) with no real evidence, the next step has to be to see if there's any possible physical basis that the claim MIGHT be true. If there isn't, then it's not worth expending even an erg of energy pursing a verification of the claim- there ain't no such thing as magic. Let the claimant waste his time.

If there is some physical plausibility, then it may be that looking at this could produce some interesting results. Not guaranteed, of course, but at least a "maybe."

Hi SY. In the case of tube builders I'm convinced it's a very important but ignored consideration, especially when expanded to include the 'pre-skinned' metal body caps so popular with the clan. I mentioned elsewhere how my favourite coupling cap (0.2 uF) measures ~70 pf each leg to case. Mounted directly to a ground plane or chassis it could have considerable impact on HF response, generate error in a phono stage, cause hum loops and possibly impact HF stability as well. Imagine that 140 pf driven by a pentode. The outer case is part of the cap and therefore a potential part of the circuit.

Does skinning a cap with a completely isolated body affect the sound? I see no reason why and haven't tried, too many tubes, trannies and circuits in line first. I also see no reason to limit the discussion to such a worthless flashpoint. An exposed cap body does have the potential to measureably and audibly impact a circuit and I'll pay close attention to that shunt impedance in my layouts from now on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.