IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys i would really appreciate help from anyone with this matter,

I did post this issue not long ago on the site except it was a DSE A2760 Stereo amp which appears to me now to have been originally created by Koda Electronics.

I was wondering if anyone has used the Koda amp below and if they have can tell me whether it is worth buying for under $200 AUS based on its performance and what its advantages and disadvantages are.

The original version od the amp

This is the rebadged version from Dick SMith
The DSE version of the amp

Have you tested this amp before Brett?

Can you think of anything cheaper than it apart from kits...Which actually sounds good?

I have heard rave reviews from theloudspeakerkit.com, overclockers.com.au and other places saying that for this price it is a steal and that it actually outperforms many amps/recievers which are many times its price.

Please,
tell me if you have experience with this amp.

Thanks

Brett said:
I seriously doubt it.

I agree... I normally avoid any manufacturer who prefers to state the PMPO power rating of their product...!

It might be a cheap source of useful parts though!!! You could possibly re-use the case, transformer, heatsink volume control and selector switches, and then you just need a kit from BrianGT!

Hi,

You're only 15...so it's best if you start building or designing
you own amp. It's easy. In another 15 years you'll thank me!
My 1st diy amp was a Dick Smith 100w guitar power amp using
the venerable pair 2n3055/2955.
Now I'm retiring as a musician, go back to my own country, and
I'm able to build power amps to rent out in public address
systems.

Efren

Hi,

The only reason i have not decided to build my own amp is because i do not really have any electronics experience and i have read that it can be dangerous.

If it is really not that hard (i like a challenge) then i may just give it a go althoguh do you believe that it would perform adequately compared to the DSE/KODA one?

And would the amp kit end up costing me more than what i would pay for the DSE/KODA amp which would probably be around $100-140 AUD.

Also do these amp kits come in a box and with a heatsink or any other needed parts?

Maybe i will try both alternatives as for just over $100 AUD, i'm sure that the DSE amp would be value for money especially if others have thought that it is the best amp around which is under $200 AUD.

Thanks

You started this thread with " IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?" and I said I seriously doubt it. It's a huge statement, and I have LOTS of experience with audio gear, and my comment is based upon that hard won experience. Specs mean nothing, and as BlackDog points out, any manufacturer that posts PMPO's is almost certainly FOS. Look at all the 1000W!!!! computer speakers you see advertised with a chintzy little chip amp in them capable of a couple of watts RMS max.

I don't need to test it, and the opinion of a review on overclockers has no credibility with me either. These days DS usually sell crap, and it seems to be only through some divine intervention that a decent product gets throught thier screening process.

There are planty of good second hand amps out there that sound good, are reliable and even easily tweaked when you have the resources. The Rotel RA8xx series, some of the NADs, some Marantzes and Pioneers off the top of my head. My office system uses a cheap Sherwood receiver that actually sounds OK (not good, but not icepicks-in-the-ears bad, and is better on the JBL dynamics it powers) even on my big horn system.

Maybe you should start a thread on what good preloved integrated amps are available in your price range.

Hi Wonderchild,

I understand you. It used to be that there were lots of books
on audio circuit building; maybe you'll still find them in libraries.
Old electronics magazines, specially, are helpfull. A small book
by Oleksy is complete and the math is very simple. Books by
Penfold, JH Hood, are also good. The early Malvino books will
get you deeper into theory but still the math is highschool level.
You can actually build power amp using 1.5 or 9 volt batteries
as a safe start; Your Walkman uses 1.5V cells.
Power amps drive headphones and speakers, and CD players
and guitars can directly work with power amps. With mics you
need pre-amplifiers because of their low output. However,
pre-amps are even easier to design than PA, power amps.
Simple math is all that's needed. This is practical electronics.
Design, build, test/listen, & redesign until your neighbors
say, 'Turn it down, it's too loud!'
High-end audio? You can beat them by building your own and
save hundreds of $!

Efren

[QUOTE IS this the cheapest and best amp in the world based on its performance and price?" and I said I seriously doubt it. It's a huge statement, and I have LOTS of experience with audio gear, and my comment is based upon that hard won experience.

I don't need to test it, and the opinion of a review on overclockers has no credibility with me either. These days DS usually sell crap, and it seems to be only through some divine intervention that a decent product gets throught thier screening process. [/QUOTE]

I do find your points valid, although i believe that not only should you judge it once you have heard it but should not necessarily look just at whether the creator has included certain specs.

I personally believe it is a single handed way of eliminating half the worlds entire population of speakers, amps, etc. as many creators do the same, although once you listen to them would realise the high standard of performance in many cases.

I do agree the DSE A2760 is not as good as some more expensive amps but i do believe at under $200 AUS there is not much else which could rival it for its price and performance based on price.

If there really is an amp which is under $200 and comes close to the performance of this amp (based on its price) then i'm sure that not only i would like to know but many 1000's of people would like to know.

Remember the point at hand here is "is this the cheapest amp in the world based on its price and performance" not is it better than a Yamaha or Denon, MARANTZ OR an amp kit.

So quite simply that means is there a cheaper amp out there which performs better than the DSE A2760 based on its cheap price of under $200?

Well i don't think so

Remember the point at hand here is "is this the cheapest amp in the world based on its price and performance" not is it better than a Yamaha or Denon, MARANTZ OR an amp kit.

So quite simply that means is there a cheaper amp out there which performs better than the DSE A2760 based on its cheap price of under $200?

Yes: second hand Denon, NAD, Marantz or or or...

Franz

Yes: second hand Denon, NAD, Marantz or or or...

Okay i see your point but when buying second hand is there an assurance that the amp will perform well, that there is nothing wrong with it and that of all things it actually works?

Yes a second hand Yamaha amp is better than A DSE amp (well...most probably) but is it at a price such as $150 AUS so it can compete with the DSE amp (which is actually new)?

If there is, it is a bargain but only if its in new condition (unopened, etc.), otherwise i could make the statement "is there any amp out there under $50 or $100, which is second hand and is the best performer for its cheap price?" (of course the DSE amp would fit into this range and well...that is that )

There really is no other amp which is as good as the DSE A2760 Stereo amp for its cheap price and performance based on its price!!!!

Brett said:

There you go. As you so obviously know, why do you need to get us to rubber stamp the purchase you've obviously decided to make?

Well for your information i do not actually own the DSE A2760 Stereo amp but rather have listened to it for hours and hours on end at my friends house.

I'm sorry if i seemed a bit confident and maybe even rude but i really do have confidence in this amp and i thought that i should make it noticeable that not everything costs 1000's and 1000's of dollars these days to get somehting which performs well but can actually cost you very little as long as you take a chance and not dismiss any cheap item.

After all, i had the same opinion as you guys before i heard this amp, but now well... it is a completely different story.

2 thumbs up for the DSE A2760 Stereo amp.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
hi the_wonderchild,

You probably picked the wrong forum to post, because here at DIYaudio, most of us are probably thinking how can we pull this thing apart and make it sound good. Is the case good enough and big enough to fit 2 x 300va toroiods, a couple of heatsinks, maybe a coulpe of inverted LM3875 with buffers and a nice regulated power supply. :D

grege said:
hi the_wonderchild,

You probably picked the wrong forum to post, because here at DIYaudio, most of us are probably thinking how can we pull this thing apart and make it sound good. Is the case good enough and big enough to fit 2 x 300va toroiods, a couple of heatsinks, maybe a coulpe of inverted LM3875 with buffers and a nice regulated power supply. :D

i personally am not sure although if you have a look at the provided link on the first page then you might be able to decide that yourself. I have heard that it would be a good use for an amp case but i do not believe it deserves that harsh treatment and should be used as a stereo amp. I probably will try my own DIY amp when i ge time but for now its the DSE amp which is my favourite amp.

Just curious here. How do these manufacturers get the PMPO rating, anyway? From what I've seen, there is no correlation between RMS and PMPO, or is it just me?

Well, it says 80W x2 on the website and then it says 250W x2 PMPO on the PDF. Is the 80W RMS?

BTW, that's a nice looking case.

Thanks.

Based on my experience, a 250W PMPO is basically no more than 25W rms (can go lower than this), and since it is 2 channel, it might be even 10W/ch. Looks like a tremendous engineering, designing it dual mono per published specification.

This DS amp might sell cheaper in Philippine soil and I normally see KODA speakers here - sure looks great. From the looks of the amp, probable a good source of materials for DIY.

An AUD 200 might be about 6000 pesoses. We have second hand branded market (sansui, marantz, yamaha, pioneer) which cost from 2000 to about 7000, depending on plate wattage rating.

I bought about 10 units already. are they good? you can tell because you have to audition it if you are interested. I was able to sell 7 of them already because I have no use for them anymore. But even being second hand, they are reliable gear of the past 3 decades, and can still beat new commercially designed amp, sometimes pumping better specs.

Of course, the DIY of the gainclones have better tips to give to economize and yet get the best of the audio world.

There are 2 ways of learning: learning by listening from the hard experience of others or learning by doing the mistakes that others did. If the only option is the latter, then, by all means, buy the DS amp.

If I have a AUD200, I will hold on to my money, will try to locate source of second hand, audition units, it I like one and cost a little more than AUD200, will save more or will be crative enough to add more money and buy a trusted reliable brand.

Perhaps we can advise wisely if you will open up the DS amp and tell us what is inside (transistor or IC or whatever) with photo thrown in. .:D

Then we can be more excited to pump in more opinion in an objective manner.

aHobbit said:
Based on my experience, a 250W PMPO is basically no more than 25W rms (can go lower than this), and since it is 2 channel, it might be even 10W/ch.

:D
PMPO rating is BS, those crappy manyfacturers that use it say what they want, the numbers they want.
250W PMPO?
Something between 5 to 10w RMS, I say.:clown:

wonderchild, if you want cheap, buy second-hand.
Stay clear of Denon amps, they are all crap in original form.
Even a PMA2000 sounds very bad to me, and they are not cheap.
If can be fixed, but you don't want to fiddle with it.
Yamaha amps are not better.
Buy a Nad, AMC, Marantz, Cambridge.
You'll find them cheap secondhand, and sometimes even new.
When a new model comes, they sell the previous one for peanuts.

I agree, stay clear of any manufacturer that quotes PMPO power rating!:bawling:
Sure, computer speakers with 400 watts...:bawling:

Just so everyone knows what is being discussed, I thought I would post the specs from the Koda site:

Key Features:
2x80Watts continuous power (8 Ohms).
Adopting NEC NE5534 to improve sound quality.
Large, Toroidal transformer.
Separate electricity supply on left and right channel reduces interference.
Comprehensive delay protecting circuit and short circuit protecting circuit.

Specification:
Model No. KD-260
PMPO (8 ohms) 250w x 2
THD �…0.5% (20Hz~16kHz)
S/N Ratio �†90dB
Frequency Response 20Hz~20kHz +/-2dB
Product Dimension (HWD) 7.4X43X38cm
Carton Dimension 50.9x41.5x14.5cm
Net weight 8.4 kg/pc
Gross Weight 9.5 kg/pc

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.