Most Powerful Opamp avaliable

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What is the most powerful opamp avaliable, not including those $500 dollar ones we're always talking about. I would assume it is some OPA chip, but I have no idea which one.

Would anybody be able to tell me what some of the highest power chipamps are?

What I need to do is make a subwoofer, and none of the chips I have produce enough power, like the 3886, 4766, 4780, opa541, opa549, etc. I need at leat 200-300 watts RMS of power, and since the speaker is 8ohm, bridging is possible and is what I am going to do to get the most power.

Or, if somebody has come up with a good pcb for the lm4651/4652 yet, I would like to try it.

Thank you!

Thanks for the reply. If you have time, would you mind suggesting a good schematic to start with?

And, like I said, any working board for a 4651/2 amp would be appreciated.

Finally, is the das module the same as the bridge/parallel 3886 amp? because I am building one of those right now.

also, I was just wondering, what is the most powerful opa chip like i asked in the first post?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Per-Anders,

Sorry to disagree with you (again...), but to me the LM12 is a more advanced design than the other GC chipamps. It has a fully symmetrical output stage. With a gain of 10 or more, it can handle 1uF cap loads. This would be the killer GC amp for 'difficult' full range speakers, with 10A current capability, generous SOA and excellent stability.

Jan Didden

I think that TI discontinued the LM12.

Anyway, I tested the OPA541AM (TO-3), it has 10A current too.
TI asked $80:eek: for each of these beauties, but it seams that now they are not available.
While it has very good bass, the rest is not up to the standards of sound quality of an LM3886, or LM3875, or LM4780, or even the LM1875.
But it's very good indeed, some people may prefer the "warmer" sound of the OPA541.
I just feel that it doesn't have that magical midband, treble and detail of the National chips.
The LM3886 has "typically" 11.5A current, and it's what I use.
I don't use the LM3875 for a long time...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.