Gainclone Power Supply Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, was interesting. I have not even tried to use any caps after 338’s other than 3875’s local caps. Unfortunately, I don’t have these regs working at the moment so can not check it.

Does it get better than that? Heh, yes I’d say. ;) While I can concur with that the simpler non-f/b supply from my page showing regulated GC supplies sounds rather different than better than LM338 (though I am honestly leaning toward it), that second non-f/b supply is better.

Pedja

Listening to good music 'till 2 AM...:)
A good test for transient speed, harmonics, treble detail, dynamics is two vinyl LPs I have from Keith Jarrett (they are called "Volume 1" and "Volume 2").
Very good ECM pressings, as always.
This amp is impressive to say the least.

Even with a much weaker trafo (compared to the big toroid I have on the URGC) salvaged from an old amp.
I can take the conclusion that with these chips and an unregulated PSU you always have a compromise: between 1,000uf and 1,500uf capacitance is the ideal on a sonic point of view (I made tests), but of course it's always a compromize.

With a regulated PSU you can have much more capacitance BEFORE the regs, and it pays off.;)

If only I could send you all the sound of this thing...:bawling:
:D

Nuuk said:

Not quite Carlos, several people to my knowledge have tried regulated supplies! ;)

And they don't say anything?:confused:
Or it may be a case of not doing it the best way, as this thing is picky with capacitance after the regs.;)

Nuuk said:

I'm still working on my case. :smash:

Much listening to do before that.
The case is the last thing I do.
I try the amps without the case, with test wires, connectors, heatsinks.
It's all prepared for R&D.:D

I can dismantle the whole thing in seconds, change a component and test again.
Forget the case for now or you may find out too late that you made some unnecessary holes:bawling:.

And they don't say anything?

i did mention this along time ago......:)

as a side note - a few weeks ago i bought a krell fpb300, this amp also have a regulated supply for the output powersection, its a rather big and powerfull amp.
i haven't listened to it yet because its a 115 volt/60hz and the voltage conversion takes a bit longer time than i expected, 8 - 10 days and i hope its ready........almost can't wait to be blown away....;)

Carlos, I am currently listening to the OPA627 buffered IGC that I built some time last year and it is still on a plank of wood!

The new amp is partly the result of my R&D with that GC and now I want to get it in a case rather than having another plank of wood in my rack for the next nine months?

I am using the modular design that I used for the VBIGC and (hopefully) any mods will be easy to do by removing the appropriate module.

I decided sometime ago to make this a pleasurable hobby again rather than be a slave to time schedules. This is easier to do of course when you already have a good system to listen to although that is not to say that I am not keen to hear the regulated PSU and new buffers!

'The ox is slow but the earth is patient'

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.